PDA

View Full Version : Browse Tab problem

Soxfan23
09-13-2009, 11:49 PM
I use the browse tab often and consider it an extraordinary feature BW added to version 8 that has helped very much. However, oftentimes it acts up on me. For instance, say I'm working in BW and go to check my email or read an article or something and minimize Bibleworks, and then like 30 minutes later I open it back up and click on the browse tab and it's all white and doesn't work. I then have to restart the program for it to start working again. This only happens when I'm in a different tab, use other programs for a while, and then come back to Bibleworks and click on the "browse" tab. It's actually probably a daily occurrence for me.

Does anybody else have problems like this? I'd like to know if my system is the only one that does this I send an email or something. Thanks!

Adelphos
09-14-2009, 12:03 AM
First, no, I've never had that problem.

Secondly, fonts eat a lot of resources and they are especially hard on graphics displays, so the first question is how old is your computer/graphics display, and how much RAM do you have? If these are sufficient, then that can be excluded and then the problem will have to be narrowed down further.

Soxfan23
09-14-2009, 12:44 AM
Secondly, fonts eat a lot of resources and they are especially hard on graphics displays, so the first question is how old is your computer/graphics display, and how much RAM do you have? If these are sufficient, then that can be excluded and then the problem will have to be narrowed down further.

My computer is 2 years old (Dell XPSm1330) and it has 2 GB of RAM. It's more than sufficient to handle the fonts.

Do you use the browse tab often? I use it daily and like it a lot. It's just kind of annoying when it does this.

I've been fooling around with it some and I've found out that I don't have to restart the program when this happens. I just have to have the browse tab selected, minimize the window, maximize it again and then click on the "Toggle Browse Mode" button in the tab (another common occurrence is that I often have to hit this button whenever it sits idle for a few minutes and I perform other tasks on my computer, this is an annoyance too, it often goes to single verse mode when I don't tell it to).

Adelphos
09-14-2009, 12:52 AM
Your computer should be plenty efficient, so that means you've got a memory leak somewhere, and I doubt it's in BibleWorks, as it seems to happen only after you return to BibleWorks.

Here's a method for you to track it down...

1. Hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete to open Taskmanager.

2. Click on the Processes tab from within Taskmanager.

3. Click on the Image Name column in the Processess tab to alphabetize the listings.

In the far right column you will see the memory usage. Monitor this for both BibleWorks AND the other programs you are using during your forays away from BibleWorks.

I suspect that one of these other programs is leaking memory.

It may take you awhile to track it down, as the memory numbers can fluctuate depending on what task a particular program is performing at a particular time, but notice especially the memory usage when you first start a program and then, before closing it, attempt to put it back in its initial, starting state, and then see what the memory is at that point.

Play with this for awhile and see what you come up with.

ISalzman
09-14-2009, 11:57 AM
I use the browse tab often and consider it an extraordinary feature BW added to version 8 that has helped very much. However, oftentimes it acts up on me. For instance, say I'm working in BW and go to check my email or read an article or something and minimize Bibleworks, and then like 30 minutes later I open it back up and click on the browse tab and it's all white and doesn't work. I then have to restart the program for it to start working again. This only happens when I'm in a different tab, use other programs for a while, and then come back to Bibleworks and click on the "browse" tab. It's actually probably a daily occurrence for me.

Does anybody else have problems like this? I'd like to know if my system is the only one that does this I send an email or something. Thanks!

I've had that problem myself once in a while, if it's any consolation. I can usually get it back again by playing with it some. It hasn't been overly bothersome to me as I don't always use the Browse Tab; I use it only periodically (though I'm glad BW8 incorporated this feature, to be sure!). So I've lived with the periodic glitch till now. It hasn't really been sufficient to cause me to get off my horse and do something about it (i.e., a support request submission). But it's comforting to know I'm not the only one who experiences this (if you don't mind my taking comfort in your small displeasure. I assure you, I'm not a Yankees fan!)

Hey, this is a milestone post for me!