View Full Version : Newbie Question
08-07-2004, 03:56 PM
Just got Bibleworks 6 and trying to digest all this great program does. Is there a way to get a word frequency list for say a whole book of the bible? Say I wanted to see what words Paul repeatedly used in Ephesians? Thanks in advance for your help
08-07-2004, 04:21 PM
There is, and it's great. (The movies realyl help out, if you're just learning.)
On the top bar, go TOOLS/WORD LIST MANAGER and click LOAD OR GENERATE WORD LIST. Select whatever version you want the words from (KJV, NRS, GNT, etc.) and make sure the little circle selector is set on LOAD WORDS FROM A BIBLE VERSION. In the VERSE RANGE box, type "eph" without quotes. then click on CREATE LIST, and voila...:D
08-07-2004, 04:46 PM
If you are looking for repetative words in a Greek or Hebrew text, decide if you are looking for repeating inflected forms (i.e., how many times imperatives occur) or if you are looking for repeating roots (or lemmas) make sure that you select a morphological version to generate your word list (BGM or WTM).
If you just want to know how many times various lemma (or lexical forms) occur, make sure that you uncheck the box that says "keep moph codes." Otherwise you will find out how many times each discreet inflected form occurs. To quote Ben Spackman, with some additions (see 3.1 & 3.2):
1. On the top bar, go TOOLS/WORD LIST MANAGER
2. Click LOAD OR GENERATE WORD LIST.
3. Select whatever version you want the words from (KJV, NRS, GNT, etc.)
3.1. If you want to see how many times a particular lexical form occurs pick a morphological version (BGM for Greek and WTM for Hebrew)
3.2. Uncheck the "Keep Morph Codes" box.
4. Make sure the little circle selector is set on LOAD WORDS FROM A BIBLE VERSION.
5. In the VERSE RANGE box, type "eph" without quotes.
6. Click on CREATE LIST, and voila...:D
08-07-2004, 06:11 PM
Thanks For Your Help!
08-10-2004, 09:15 AM
1. Go to Tools | Word List Manager
2. Click Load or Generate Word List button
3. Under Source: select Load words from a Bible Version
4. Under Version: select the version you desire
5. Under Verse Range limits: select Eph. 1:1 - Eph. 6:24
6. If you're using a Greek version, select the options you want from "Other options"
7. Click create list.
There you will have a list of all the words in Ephesians along with frequency stats.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.