PDA

View Full Version : The Cost of BibleWorks

MBushell
09-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Hi All,

Our General Manager has done some pricing analysis of the cost of BibleWorks over time and I thought users might be interested in his analysis. Attached is a graph of the cost of BibleWorks over the last 17 years adjusted to 2009 dollars. The blip in 2007 was our only price increase over that time. Keep in mind also that the amount of information in BibleWorks has increased more than 50 fold over that time. This shows, I think, that we have tried very hard to provide real value for our users, and that we have been largely successful.

Mike

tcblack
09-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Incredible. Actually what's incredible is that you guys continue to eat and pay your own bills!
For the value -vs- cost in Bible works I'm amazed.
I have never hesitated on an upgrade when the cash was in my pocket. Thanks to the whole Bibleworks crew for making such a great product, so consistently.

Alan Johnson
09-08-2009, 12:05 PM
I agree. Tremendous value for the price, plus I use it nearly every day.

richardsugg
09-08-2009, 01:29 PM
As a beginner in Greek, I really appreciate BW and the tools it provides and am grateful for the pricepoint. Were Erasmus alive today, he just might say "If I have money, I buy Bibleworks. If there's any left over, I buy food."

Michael Hanel
09-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Yeah but what you really need is another graph which shows the value of ADDED materials in Bibleworks over that same period of time. I can only imagine how much you'd have to adjust the scale to reflect what has been added to BibleWorks just since version 5.

Kimba
09-08-2009, 03:07 PM
When I approached my wife about buying Bibleworks after doing reserch she asked how much. I told her and there was a pause before the storm.

Today, she does not regret her decision, although she never uses it, she has her researcher seek out her questions.

I love the tool less than my wife and both I spend time with every day.

Thanks for such a great product and such great service.

Adelphos
09-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Yeah but what you really need is another graph which shows the value of ADDED materials in Bibleworks over that same period of time. I can only imagine how much you'd have to adjust the scale to reflect what has been added to BibleWorks just since version 5.

I would really like to see such a graph. I constantly get emails from Logos warning me that I have only a few days left to spend what is usually an exorbitant amount of money for an add-on module.

Since BibleWorks has incorporated a TON of resources in the base package, the graph that Michael mentioned is the ONLY way to tell the true story of value.

jimofbentley
09-08-2009, 09:46 PM
The first edition of Bible Works I purchased (BW3 I think) was when it came in numerous 3.5 inch floppies. The local Christian bookshop couldn't sell the last copy and I watched as they continued to reduce the price from some $300. When it reached $50 I bought it :D.

It was marvelous then - and even more so now.

The ongoing help that is received. The updates over the internet. The amount of material that is contained in it.

This year, just before the end of the financial year (June 30 here in Australia) I asked my wife if it would be OK to purchase BW8 - I had BW7, but noticed a number of additions to BW8 which I thought would be helpful. We called it an early birthday present - and I am very happy with it all.

ISalzman
09-08-2009, 10:47 PM
The first edition of Bible Works I purchased (BW3 I think) was when it came in numerous 3.5 inch floppies. The local Christian bookshop couldn't sell the last copy and I watched as they continued to reduce the price from some $300. When it reached $50 I bought it :D.

It was marvelous then - and even more so now.

The ongoing help that is received. The updates over the internet. The amount of material that is contained in it.

This year, just before the end of the financial year (June 30 here in Australia) I asked my wife if it would be OK to purchase BW8 - I had BW7, but noticed a number of additions to BW8 which I thought would be helpful. We called it an early birthday present - and I am very happy with it all.

Hey Jim, I think I also entered the fray with the release of BibleWorks 3 or 3.5 or such. Is my memory playing tricks with me, or didn't BW once go by the name of Hermeneutika? Or Hermeneutica?

Adelphos
09-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Hey Jim, I think I also entered the fray with the release of BibleWorks 3 or 3.5 or such. Is my memory playing tricks with me, or didn't BW once go by the name of Hermeneutika? Or Hermeneutica?

Yes it did, and even though you got that one right, yes, your mind is playing tricks with you. :eek:

ISalzman
09-08-2009, 11:16 PM
Yes it did, and even though you got that one right, yes, your mind is playing tricks with you. :eek:

Well, at least it ain't playing hooky.

jdarlack
09-09-2009, 04:01 PM
I stand by my repeated statement to students looking to purchase Bible software:

There's no bigger exegetical bang for your buck than BibleWorks!

calvary
09-13-2009, 01:02 AM
Mike,

While the chart is appreciated, I can tell you that I don't need much marketing data to convince me of the unparalleled value of BW. Count me in the number of those who wonder how you guys even pay the bills.

I try and turn as many of my pastor friends on to BW as I can. In fact, just today I had the opportunity of showing a fellow pastor some of the ways BW searches for info in the NT Greek--compared to his (a competitor) Bible software, and he was floored. Hopefully, it will result in another sale for the BW crew.

Blessings and kudos to Mike and the staff for helping to make the work of exegesis a truly joyous task. :)

Dave

jtc00
09-26-2009, 12:45 AM
Hello everyone,
I'm new to BibleWorks, in fact, I'm new to electronic Bible study. I'm a 49 year old Software Engineer (25 years) and until a couple months ago I was a hardcore "written word" study guy. I got into E-Sword via Dr. Chuck Missler, and once I started, I couldn't get enough. Then came theWord, but I found they weren't taking me as far as I wanted to go, linguistically, that's when I found BibleWorks. I was a little leary of spending that much $ on Bible analysis software (I guess I'm a little cheap), but the reviews were too numerous and too positive to ignore. I've only had it installed for a couple of days, so my "study" experience with it is still very minimal, but from the programming end I can't believe how much is there for the $...if I had seen this software before hearing the $ I would have guessed it was over $1000! The people at BibleWorks have done a fine job in my opinion, and that's just from the application side. I've viewed a number of the training videos and with each one am just amazed at how much analytical power has been incorporated for the $. Thanks BibleWorks, keep up the good work!

united_by_truth
09-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Mike,
Many of us appreciate the sincere effort you have made to make BW available for missionaries and pastors of small churches and others in low income ministry. I purchased BW and a computer to run it on in 1992 (or '93, v. 2) and it was a huge sacrifice by my family. But over the years it has proved worth it. Not only did you hold the line on price, but you realized that many of us ran ancient hardware and you kept BW compatible with it. Also worthy of notice is the overall BW philosophy of Bible study software with focuses on providing the user with the most bang for the buck rather than selling endless additional products--another example of the ministry verses business approach of BW. This does not even mention the fact of all the personal attention to minor bug fixes and free updates. Wow! Our prayer over the years has been that God would reward you greatly. Thanks so much.

To save money I have switched to Linux and run BW in wine and in VirtualBox with an old Win 2000 license. The money saved there allowed me to get BW 8 and it is worth every penny.

MBushell
09-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I hope that BibleWorks helps to you to do the Lord's work!
Mike

re4med
09-29-2009, 08:37 AM
This software is truly worth every penny. As a seminary student I find the tools in this program to be quite helpful, especially the audio of the Greek. It makes it quite helpful.

My thanks to the Bibleworks team for their hard work!