PDA

View Full Version : Multiple verses on command line?

Adamsen
09-01-2009, 04:30 AM
I have a feeling that an update of BW8 allowed us to enter multiple verses on the command line. It was, perhaps, temporarily withdrawn, though.

Do I remember correctly? Was it only temporarily withdrawn?

If so, where do I find the syntax? I have been unable to find it here or in the help files.

Thank you.

Greg Ward
09-01-2009, 09:49 AM
I believe the multiple verse input was on the Popup Copy dialog. I'm not aware of multiple verse input (non-contiguous) on the CL.

wie
09-01-2009, 01:26 PM
But interesting things happen.

When I enter
Lk 12 1-3
all displayed versions are shown from 1-3

When I enter
Lk 12 1,3
or
Lk 12 1 3
then only the search version is displayed from 1-3.

jimofbentley
09-01-2009, 11:21 PM
But interesting things happen.

When I enter
Lk 12 1-3
all displayed versions are shown from 1-3

When I enter
Lk 12 1,3
or
Lk 12 1 3
then only the search version is displayed from 1-3.

These are shown as options in the "Command Line Examples" (section 27 of Bible Works Help). In this way we can view consecutive verses in the various versions (English, Greek, etc).

About your original question - which I understand to mean that can we show two seperate verses (i.e. Romans 3:23 and 6:23) - the program doesn't appear to allow us to do this.

Soxfan23
09-02-2009, 10:04 AM
About your original question - which I understand to mean that can we show two seperate verses (i.e. Romans 3:23 and 6:23) - the program doesn't appear to allow us to do this.

No it doesn't appear that way, but it should. I have long said Bibleworks should incorporate this essential tool into the program. There are so many things we can parallel (e.g. refrains, synoptics, kings/chronicles, similar Pauline verses) that would be so useful. The separate parallel window is useful for English, but it doesn't quite capture what should be available in my mind. We should be able to type multiple verses in the command line where they come up on top of one another so we can relate them. It can be done in the parallel window, but it's far too complicated. Bibleworks staff, if it can't be done with BW8, then please at least do it in a couple of years for BW9. Learn from Accordance about this one

MarkusP
09-09-2009, 04:51 AM
This might be a stupid question, but forgive me, I'm still learning to use Bibleworks.

It's true that when I enter e.g. Lk 12 1-3, all the three verses are shown in various versions (e.g. kjv, esv, greek etc). However, if I then choose one word of these verses and do e.g. a search on Lemma, and afterwards try to get back to where I started, the browse window is no longer showing me all the consecutive verses, but only the first verse (Lk 12 1) in various versions.

It's really frustrating to type Lk 12 1-3 all over again to see all the three verses at the same time. Am I doing something wrong? (I go back using the arrows on search window history). How do I go back so that browse window shows all the verses I want?

MGVH
09-09-2009, 09:30 AM
To have BW remember the range of verses as you described:
Tools > Options
General > Flags
Command Line Search Options > check box "Remember command line ranges"

Mark Eddy
09-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Another way to keep your original verse range is to check the "Browse Window Configuration Options" "Enable automatic secondary Browse Windows." That way when you do a search, BW will open a secondary browse window where the results will display. Your original browse window will stay exactly where it was, so that you will have your original verse range available. If you move the secondary window off to the side, you can actually see the original verses and the newly searched verse at the same time.
Just another suggestion.
Mark Eddy

MarkusP
09-10-2009, 07:56 AM
MGVH and Mark Eddy,

Thank you very much for your help! Both pieces of advice were great. Finally it works the way I hoped it would.