PDA

View Full Version : Synopsis tool crash

bobvenem
08-22-2009, 09:50 AM
Does anybody else have trouble with the Synopsis Tool crashing BW8? I have the latest update.

SCSaunders
08-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Bob,

I just took it for a spin and it seemed to work. Which bible version are you using? I'll give it another try if it is crashing for you in a different version.

Scott

Adelphos
08-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Does anybody else have trouble with the Synopsis Tool crashing BW8? I have the latest update.

Bob,

Sometimes if you are writing your own st and you enter a wrong sytax it will cause it to crash. Not all the time, though.

Is your crash occuring with one of your own st's? If so, then go back and verify the styntax in each line and see if that is the issue.

bobvenem
08-22-2009, 02:44 PM
I haven't used it much at all. It was the default NAU (I was going to switch it to other versions).

I was using the default file. The instant I hit the button ( or select the menu option), BW creashes, with the request to revert to an earlier version (I even did this, to no effect).

A reinstall may be in order (just the prog), if that is possible, though that may be a bit drastic.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Mark Eddy
08-22-2009, 05:00 PM
No, don't reinstall the whole program! What Scott mentioned is probably causing the problem. I am working on a synopsis file comparing Josephus with the Bible, and if I close the Synopsis tool with that file loaded, whenever I try to reopen the Synopsis tool, BW crashes. So I have learned to switch to a different synopsis file before I close the Synopsis tool. That way the tool opens correctly, and then I can switch to the faulty file to make corrections.
A couple of the synopsis files that shipped with BW7 & 8 had errors in them (though I don't remember which, since I fixed them on my machine). If one of those is automatically loaded when you open the Synopsis tool, that might be causing your crashes.
The current file in your Synopsis tool is entered in the bw800.ini file (Configuration Settings) in the BW folder. If you have not made too many modifications to the .ini file (like changed book order, or set up a list of favorites) you could just delete that file and re-launch BW. But a less drastic step would be to edit the bw800.ini file from within WordPad or Notepad. Find the line in the file which says something like this:
LastSynopsisFile=c:\program files\bibleworks 8\init\ot.sdf
Then you can paste in the above line (since it does not crash BW), instead of the line you have. If your line is the same as this, then maybe the ot.sdf file was one which had problems. In that case, just delete "c:..." to the end of that line. That should allow BW to choose a default file with which to open the Synopsis tool. That should not crash.
I hope this saves you the time of reinstalling.
Mark Eddy

bobvenem
08-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks, Mark. Sadly, neither entering a different .sdf in the bw800 file nor deleting the existing line from it worked.

Not really sure where to go from here.

Adelphos
08-22-2009, 11:07 PM
Not really sure where to go from here.

One more thing, Bob. First, try yet a different file once again, as Mark suggested. Not the same different one, but a new one.

If that doesn't work, I can think of one more possibility, although this probably doesn't apply to you.

That is, the ST for some reason takes quite a bit of memory. It almost always caused my older machine, which did not have much memory, to fail unless it was the ONLY file open.

But if you have plenty of memory, then I don't know what to tell you.

bobvenem
08-23-2009, 09:30 AM
Thanks, Scott.