PDA

View Full Version : trouble downloading BW7 on xp on Mac!

Jon Paivarinta
08-16-2009, 11:39 PM
Friends! I have recently moved from a dying PC to a beautiful MacBook Pro. I installed Parallels 4.0 and Windows XP (2002 version, no service pack) for the sole purpose of using BW7. As I attempted to install BW7, my CD/DVD drive resisted. It sounded like a helicopter. After several attempts, the download began, though it often sounded like my CD/DVD drive was struggling. Toward the end of disk 3, the download failed. This is what it said:

Component: study guides
File: D:\data 4.cab
Error: the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

Solutions? I am thinking the XP without a service pack will not work, but I don't know. Could I simply get a service pack or do I have to buy a new, full XP with SP2? I am avoiding Vista because it was slow on my old PC and I heard that XP was better (never used it before).

BW7 worked wonderfully on my old, Compaq PC w/Vista. School starts in two weeks and I'm woefully behind in my Hebrew, so I need a solution quick. I appreciate your collective wisdom.

jp

richardsugg
08-17-2009, 07:46 AM
It really sounds like you might have a bum disk, which means it won't work regardless of the version of XP you have. To determine if this is so, try creating a directory in XP in parallels, such as C:\BW_INSTALL. Copy the entire contents of the CD to c:\BW_INSTALL. If this succeeds, try running the setup program in c:\BW_INSTALL. My guess is that you won't be able to copy the contents of the disk to c:\BW_INSTALL. If this happens, I am sure that BW will gladly replace the media.

Jon Paivarinta
08-18-2009, 12:15 AM
Hello fellow followers of the Truth,

Richard asked me to create a directory in order to bypass my troubles with installing BW7 onto a 2002 version of windows xp. I'm sorry, I don't know how to create a directory.

I do know this much- I successfully loaded this particular bw7 onto a neighbors Dell (Vista) and it worked, so the disks are fine.

I went through a list of solutions offered by Parallels and microsoft (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891894 ). I did discover that my windows media player would not play DVD's because "a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer."

so... what next? perhaps I could upgrade my device driver for windows. perhaps if I simply got a newer version of XP which included more recent service packs, I would also have the necessary "decoder".

My stress level is rising. My wife is being patient, for now. Please help!

jp

Jon Paivarinta
08-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Just an update... I have installed a new, full Windows xp with sp2 and BW7 will not load. Microsoft office downloaded successfully, so I feel that Parallels, Windows, and my CD/DVD Drive all work fine. Maybe if I had some new BW7 disks to try....

"yet I will exult in the LORD, I will rejoice in the God of my salvation." Habakkuk 3:18

jp