PDA

View Full Version : Font problems in Word in Vista + XP



jdkri
08-12-2009, 05:52 AM
I use the bibleworks 8 on a desktop with windows xp, and a laptop with vista. I have no problems at all on XP, yet find fonts give me an incredible hassle on vista, and even if I can get them to display correctly in Word, when I take Word files back to XP they are generally unreadable.

I'm hoping this can be resolved soon, as I'm taking both Greek and Hebrew in the fall and would like to preserve all my work.

For a while I was using Times New Roman in Word, and somehow this included greek fonts, but yet this was unreadable in XP. I tried Calibri, but that doesn't seem to work either. In addition, since I was basically using two copies of Bibleworks, I'm not sure what settings I was using as I changed things back and forth for both of them, unfortunately.

Any help please?

wie
08-12-2009, 06:03 AM
What exactly do you mean by "unreadable"?
Could you provide a screen dump?
I presume that you use Unicode for the export.
What about using the BW fonts? You can change this in the setup window under fonts at the bottom, uncheck the first two checks.

jdkri
08-12-2009, 06:09 AM
The font in Word will be perfectly fine in Vista, then when I use the file in XP there are boxes instead of letters.

I've used various settings, so I don't even remember which ones did what now. I preferred using Times New Roman, and somehow that included both standard text in english as well as worked well with Greek in that font. I don't quite understand the concept of unicode, and how works with hebrew and greek, so perhaps someone could connect the dots for me there.

wie
08-12-2009, 06:28 AM
Then it seems that the font you are using in XP is not a full Unicode font. The earlier Times and Arial fonts were not complete Unicode ones.
Delete the fonts on your XP machine and copy the ones from Vista to it.

SkipB
08-12-2009, 09:05 AM
An oversimplified overview... Unicode has not been an easy change, but it does bring more flexibility. The character map for unicode is bigger than for older true type fonts. This is because unicode can have two byte characters. Within this larger map there is room for characters from multiple languages. For Unicode to work, the programs you use must be unicode aware, and your fonts need to have the right characters. The basic characters of multiple languages reside at set places in the expanded font maps. But for people working in certain fields, who want to have all the right diacriticals, accents, and other sigla font builders often place them in areas of the map that are not universally accepted. This is why SBL Hebrew and Greek are separate unicode fonts. They need more slots than unicode designates. So we need to know if our programs like unicode, and that we have the fonts that our programs can utilize the map properly. While unicode should make things ultimately easier, for someone that has two different computing environments, the ttf fonts might be better as you use the same files on both machines.

Muhammad
08-18-2009, 03:14 PM
I use the bibleworks 8 on a desktop with windows xp, and a laptop with vista. I have no problems at all on XP, yet find fonts give me an incredible hassle on vista, and even if I can get them to display correctly in Word, when I take Word files back to XP they are generally unreadable.

I'm hoping this can be resolved soon, as I'm taking both Greek and Hebrew in the fall and would like to preserve all my work.

For a while I was using Times New Roman in Word, and somehow this included greek fonts, but yet this was unreadable in XP. I tried Calibri, but that doesn't seem to work either. In addition, since I was basically using two copies of Bibleworks, I'm not sure what settings I was using as I changed things back and forth for both of them, unfortunately.

Any help please?

Despite the fact that many users consider Windows Vista a catastrophy (my laptop originally had Vista when I bought it but I removed it completely and installed Windows XP Professional instead; Vista is a superfluous "rubbish"!), there may be a thing that certain script fonts may not be compatible on either system. For example, certain Chinese script fonts do not seem to work on Vista but on XP. Vice versa, there are Chinese script fonts that work on Vista but not on XP.

I suggest that you use the non-Roman script fonts that are provided by XP
and Vista respectively (Control Panel/language and regional settings). To display Greek text with accents (diacritical characters), you may perhaps use a separate unicode based script font (you will find some for Biblical Greek texts on SIL website (www.sil.org) that are freely downloadable.
Maybe, your problem will be resolved when using a "neutral" font that does not depend on a special Windows version.

Kimba
08-18-2009, 05:39 PM
I have Office 2007 installed on both machines and the fonts don't match similarly cannot send anything from my laptop to my desktop without verifying that the font I am using works on both.

I use the Arial Unicode MS. It is the only one I find that works.

I am having issues with Microsoft, their products are getting less backward compatible every day and their updates adds to my blood pressure -- but those are personal problems.