PDA

View Full Version : How to reply to those who replied to my question?

susanjeffers
08-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Last evening I posted a desperate plea for help in the thread "agony with bwhebb ttf" and received 3 very helpful responses. But I can't figure out how to reply to these responses within the thread!

When I come into the User Forums as a guest (not logged on) and read my thread, I see a "Post Reply" button at the top and also at the bottom of the thread. But when I'm logged in, wanting to post a reply, I see no such button!

The first time I came into the Forums this morning it was by way of an email alert I'd received, that I had a response. The link in the email took me directly to the thread, and I followed the advice folks had posted about my original problem, and wrote a long response with lavish praise and some additional questions. When I clicked on "submit reply" , I got the "you are not logged in" message, so I logged in, but my long post had vanished and now I can't figure out what to do...

It took me 20 minutes to follow the great advice folks offered on my actual BW issue, and I've been trying to figure out how to post my thanks for an hour and a half now. >> sigh << I guess it's just really true that this old dog isn't learning new tricks very well....

I logged off completely from the BW forums & website, and got a message saying my cookies had been cleared, which seemed like it might help... but it didn't.... I guess I'll try rebooting and if that doesn't work I'll just wait for some response to this post.

I remember the last time I tried using these forums back in 2005 or so I had a similar experience - much angst trying to use the forums, but a very helpful and quick response to my actual BW issue. I guess this time I'll try to actually get the hang of using the forums....

Thanks in advance for your help and support. Were it not for user forums like this, the internet and computing generally would not be anywhere near the useful ubiquitous tools that they are. Which is a mixed blessing, of course... :eek: After I reboot, I think I'll take some quiet time and read an actual "hard-copy" Greek or Hebrew Bible for awhile. :o

susanjeffers
08-08-2009, 11:04 AM
So I logged off again, and rebooted my computer, and came back in to the forums and still had the same trouble. But this time I clicked on "Quote" and saw that a reply window had opened up. I deleted the quote of the post I'm trying to reply to, and now I seem to be typing in a bona fide reply window. If you're reading this, I guess the "submit reply" button will have worked.... has worked.... whatever....

Is this how replying to posts is supposed to work? seems like coming in the back door, having to click on "Quote" when I know there's a direct "Reply" function built in somewhere... like the forbidden fruit in the garden of Eden --

thanks for any advice - I hope this makes sense - my head hurts ---

Adelphos
08-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Is this how replying to posts is supposed to work? seems like coming in the back door, having to click on "Quote" when I know there's a direct "Reply" function built in somewhere...

Susan,

1. Be sure you are logged in before you attempt to reply.

2. Once you are logged in, at the bottom of the message thread there is a "Quote" button at the bottom right-hand side and there is a "Post Reply" button on the other side, i.e., on the left-hand side of the screen.

3. If you want to quote all or portions of a specific message, you use the "Quote" button, whereas if you want a blank message box, use the "Post Reply" button.

Glad you got everything worked out. And Skip will read your message and know that it was his advice that did the trick.

susanjeffers
08-08-2009, 01:43 PM
That's just it -- I see the "Quote" button but no "Post Reply" button.

Here's a screen print of the relevant part, as I looked for a way to reply to your advice. I used the "Quote" button again.

http://www.read-the-bible.org/NoPostReplyButton.jpg

Thanks for your help

Joan Korte
08-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Susan, I tried to make a visual for you but can't figure that out :)
The Post Reply button is below the Quote button but on the left side. So when you view this, you should see a Post Reply button at the bottom, lower left corner...Because I did not want to quote you, I did not click on that button but clicked on Post Reply and then I typed this and then I clicked on "Submit Reply". Hope this helps.

Michael Hanel
08-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Susan, I tried to make a visual for you but can't figure that out :)
The Post Reply button is below the Quote button but on the left side. So when you view this, you should see a Post Reply button at the bottom, lower left corner...Because I did not want to quote you, I did not click on that button but clicked on Post Reply and then I typed this and then I clicked on "Submit Reply". Hope this helps.

The other helpful piece of information is that no matter which message you want to reply to, your replies are listed in chronological order. There is no nesting in this forums software. So if I want to reply to the second message in this thread, I either use the post reply button found at the bottom left, or I can quote that message to make it clear that I am replying to that specific message. No matter how I do it though, my message will appear in chronological order, not immediately after the second message.

Adelphos
08-08-2009, 05:39 PM
The other helpful piece of information is that no matter which message you want to reply to, your replies are listed in chronological order.

Since that information is so very, very, very, very, very, very obvious, I can only assume that this is a plug post on your behalf to prevent me from overtaking you as the forum post leader!

Michael Hanel
08-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Since that information is so very, very, very, very, very, very obvious, I can only assume that this is a plug post on your behalf to prevent me from overtaking you as the forum post leader!

Hey I already conceded, it's just a matter of time ;)

susanjeffers
08-08-2009, 06:00 PM
I'm just about ready to give up on this question, since I do have a workaround, namely using the Quote button. But I'll try once more to explain.

When I am NOT signed in to the forums, I DO see the "Post Reply" button y'all are talking about, but it doesn't work, because I'm not signed in:http://www.read-the-bible.org/Not-Signed-In--ReplyButton.jpg

When I AM signed in, there is no "Post Reply" button:
http://www.read-the-bible.org/Signed-In--NoReplyButton.jpg

-----------

Joan - the only way I've figured out to post these screenshots ("visuals") is use the PrtSc key, copy the image into a photo-processing program, crop it to show just the part I'm trying to share, save it, upload it to a web page, and use the "Insert Image" icon to insert it into my post. I just learned that this morning, thanks to some help last night.... :-)

Thanks, y'all!

Michael Hanel
08-08-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm just about ready to give up on this question, since I do have a workaround, namely using the Quote button. But I'll try once more to explain.

When I am NOT signed in to the forums, I DO see the "Post Reply" button y'all are talking about, but it doesn't work, because I'm not signed in:

When I AM signed in, there is no "Post Reply" button:

Ok, I just learned something that I didn't know. Go figure. In the Forums, open your User CP option (it's on the blue strip across the top (User CP, FAQ, Community, etc.)

Under Settings and Options, select "Edit Options"

If you scroll down to "Thread Display Options" you will see a pulldown option box for "Thread Display Mode". I think the forum default is Linear. At least that's what mine has been (I actually didn't even know it was possible to be threaded!). Your option for some reason (whether you chose it so or what) is currently on threaded. That's why yours looks and acts differently than everyone else's. I haven't used this Threaded option before, so I can't tell you as much about it, but I can at least explain why yours is different and how you can change it back if you'd like.

susanjeffers
08-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Well this is just dandy - I switched to "linear - oldest first" and now I see the Post Reply button like everyone else.

Thank you! I would probably NEVER have found that option.

Just out of curiosity, how did you figure out that I was set to "threaded"?

Thanks again ---

Michael Hanel
08-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Well this is just dandy - I switched to "linear - oldest first" and now I see the Post Reply button like everyone else.

Thank you! I would probably NEVER have found that option.

Just out of curiosity, how did you figure out that I was set to "threaded"?

Thanks again ---

Just a guess. My question is HOW you became threaded. I didn't even know that was possible. But when you posted your picture (most helpful!) I saw that your view of the forums was indeed very different than any I had ever seen, so I assumed there must have been some setting to change that. After that, simple trial and error :)

ISalzman
08-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Susan, so now that all is right with the universe again, can you tell us if you found any resolution to your initial problem, and which solution worked for you? Much obliged.

Never mind. Saw your last comment in your initial thread. Thanks.

susanjeffers
08-11-2009, 08:54 AM
Just a guess. My question is HOW you became threaded.

well, I first joined the Forums quite awhile ago, and had a brief agonizing time trying to post and get help with one or two questions. being younger and much less patient then (if that is possible) I probably started dinking with my settings and changed it. other things being equal, "threaded" sounds more useful to me than "linear" -- but that's just a guess, too. no telling what I did when.

thanks again for all the help --- all of you ---