PDA

View Full Version : Listing words by frequency?

wie
08-06-2009, 04:30 AM
Working some time with BW8 I don't know anymore how it was in BW7. :o
In BW7 you had three vertical columns in the search window.
I remember that in one column you had the forms of a lemma you searched for and could sort them by frequency.
Where is this wordlist now in 8?

Precha1
08-06-2009, 06:28 AM
I think this is what you are looking for: The word list manager can be found by clicking on tools/analyzing the text/word list manager.

wie
08-06-2009, 06:54 AM
Yes, I know the word list manager.
What I was looking for is this:
You do a search on a lemma and then all forms will be displayed (optionally by frequency).
If I remember correctly, this was one column in the search window of BW7.

SkipB
08-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Wieland If you select the tab labeled Words you get 3 columns with a complete list of words in version, a wild card expansion of your search and "word list for current search results" The context tab has more list related to book chapter and pericope. Help says this about the current word list: The Current Search Results Wordlist The current search results wordlist window of the Words tab lists all of the words contained within the verses listed in the Search Window search results list. The words are listed by frequency by default. The frequency of occurrence of the word in the search results list appears to the right of the word. For morphologically-tagged versions, the word is listed as the lemma followed by the parsing codes for that word. At the top of the current search results wordlist title bar is the number of words in the wordlist. Hope that is a place for you to start.

wie
08-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks, Skip, that was helpful, but still, it does not do what I want.
I already knew the Words tab, but considered it not very useful.
What does it help to be shown all words in a version starting from A?

Here is the strange behavior:
1. Search-Version: BGT
Right click on a word, then "Search on Lemma".
A list starting with A is displayed. Not helpful at all.

2. Search-Version: BGM
Right click on a word, then "Search on Lemma".
A list is displayed that shows the base form of a word with its morph code followed.
Better, but again not very helpful.
What I want is a list with all the forms of that lemma.

Both lists are not what I want.
They do not show what I am searching for. They only show what is written above it: "Full wordlist for BGM version".

What I want is a list of all the forms of that lemma, sorted either alphabetically of by frequency.
This would be a helpful Words list.
I am not sure if what we currently see in the Words tab is the best of all possible worlds, ehh... lists.
Especially the top right list is quite useless IMHO.

MGVH
08-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Hallo, Wieland!
I'm not recalling the feature in BW7 to which you refer. Skip's suggestion is a start, but as you note, it doesn't quite get you what you want. Do note, however, that if you start typing your search in the command line, the "full wordlist" will move to the correct spot. Also, if you use a wildcard search (eg, .διδασκ*), the "wildcard expansion" will display all the words it found.

I have two other ways:
1) The Word List manager: Doesn't this do it? Conduct your lemma search (using BGM or right-clicking and doing a lemma search in BGT). Then open the Word List manager > Load or Generate Word List > select BGM and "Load highlighted words from last query" AND check the "Keep morph codes" box. Is that the list you want?
OR
2) In the Analysis pane with the Analysis tab: right-click anywhere > hover over Lemma/Form Usage Statistics > click on "Include Lemma Usage Summary". Repeat and click on "Include Complete Lemma Info" (both for Greek Only). Now when you hover over on a word in a Greek text, at the bottom of that Analysis tab, it will give complete lemma usage data. (For words w/ long entries, you may need to 'freeze' the Analysis tab--holding the SHFT key as you move over to the Analysis tab--and scroll down to the bottom.

wie
08-06-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm not recalling the feature in BW7 to which you refer.
Yes, I must have been wrong.
But I think it would be a useful feature in the Words tab.

Mark Eddy
08-07-2009, 01:20 AM
Yes, I must have been wrong.
No, Wieland, I think that you are right. BW used to have three parts to the analysis window. In addition to a box for the lexicon entries, there was a box which would have a list of all forms in BGM, centered around the form your searched, but alphabetically above and below it were all the other forms (listed as "lemma" followed all the parsing information). Previously you could click on any of those forms, and the search window would display a list of all verses which contained that particular form. So, instead of looking through all verses which contained a given lemma, you could look through them form by form. On occasion I found that function useful. At other times that window took away space which I would have preferred be filled with the lexical entries. But it does appear that the previous functionality is no longer available in the same form.
However, if you click on a given word in the right-hand column word list, that word displays in the lower box of that column. Now right click on that lower box, and choose the option "Context/Word tab options" And click OK. Now that box will display the word with the morphological code for the various forms. But as I write this, the morphological code abbreviations are all in a Greek font instead of English. Perhaps as a result of this font problem, clicking on the individual forms produces an error message instead of looking up that form. When this bug is fixed, you might have what you are seeking.
Mark Eddy

J Kendall
08-07-2009, 06:24 AM
Hi Wieland,

I was also initially disappointed by the loss of the Word Statistics Listbox in BW8. See the thread here:

http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3496

However, since then, some tweaks have been made to the Wildcard Expansion of the Command Line section of the Words tab.

As Mark notes, the key setting is found under the Context\Word Tab Options. Just to clarify his instructions, you need to deselect the Hide Morphology Codes option. If you then search for a lemma in a morphology version, unless I've misunderstood you, I think you'll get the data you want. You can sort it alphabetically or by frequency by using a right click.

John
--
John Kendall
Cardiff
Wales

wie
08-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks Ken and Mark, that works, but it does not show me the forms of the words.

J Kendall
08-15-2009, 12:02 PM
Thanks Ken and Mark, that works, but it does not show me the forms of the words.

Hi Wieland,

As far as I recall, the old Word Statistics Listbox never provided the forms when searching a morphology version. You could only get a list of forms if you were searching a text version and using wildcards e.g. searching BNT using, say, 'adelf*.

By the way, my name's John, not Ken.

John
--
John Kendall
Cardiff
Wales

wie
08-15-2009, 01:00 PM
As far as I recall, the old Word Statistics Listbox never provided the forms when searching a morphology version.
Yes, I was wrong on that.
But it would be a nice to have.
Seeing the morph codes isn't very intuitive, I think.
Not sure what the reason is to present it this way.

PS: John! Yeah, sorry! :o
I always have difficulties with names.
And I was even happy that I got Mark right. I wrote Eddy first. :D