PDA

View Full Version : BWGRKL font appearance

wie
08-02-2009, 07:05 AM
I have now BW8 and have installed the latest fonts.
When I use the fonts in MS Word (100%) they look much worse than the previous ones I knew from BW6 and 7.
Here is an example (screen dump).
This is how bwgrkl 16pt looks in Word 2007:
http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/BWfonts.jpg
Here is the BW7 version for comparison:
http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/BW7.jpg

The letters look differently in hight and boldness. When I go to higher magnifications it looks ok, but at 100% it's not nice. The same is true in BW itself.
Windows XP, Clear type turned off.

Comments?

wie
08-05-2009, 04:16 AM
I have investigated this a little further and found that the original fonts delivered with the DVD do not show this behaviour.
It only happens if you install the latest fonts updates via the updater (rev1_fonts_8010i.pbn).
There is something strange with this update!

Ben Spackman
08-05-2009, 08:30 AM
I believe the new fonts are meant for Cleartype, though I cannot recall where I've read this.

wie
08-05-2009, 09:17 AM
No, nothing to do with Cleartype, already tested.
Old font good, new font bad.

Is nobody else experiencing this?
Just set the Greek font size in BW to 16 pt, where is is especially well visible, and have a look.
I have this effect on two different computers.

PS: Safe the old fonts before updating.

Michael Hanel
08-05-2009, 02:57 PM
No, nothing to do with Cleartype, already tested.
Old font good, new font bad.

Is nobody else experiencing this?
Just set the Greek font size in BW to 16 pt, where is is especially well visible, and have a look.
I have this effect on two different computers.

PS: Safe the old fonts before updating.

At 16 pt, the Greek font looks fine here. I do not see any thickness issues.

MBushell
08-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Hi Wieland,

I don't see any display problem with bwgrkl on my system. I do have cleartype on though and didn't try it with it off. The characters do look significantly better with cleartype on. My understanding is that in WIndows 7 Cleartype will be on by default and cannot be turned off.

You might try updatting your video driver if it is not the latest. And try it with Cleartype on.

Mike

wie
08-06-2009, 03:58 AM
I use Windows XP Prof.
As I said, I tried with Cleartype on and off, no difference.
Also, this happens on two different computers with different graphics.

What did you change with the new fonts?

MBushell
08-06-2009, 04:57 PM
I use Windows XP Prof.
As I said, I tried with Cleartype on and off, no difference.
Also, this happens on two different computers with different graphics.

What did you change with the new fonts?

Nothing has changed except adding a couple of new characters. It is possible that the hinting got changed when the font was generated, but it is a puzzle why it doesn't misbehave on all systems. DO you see any difference with Cleartype on? It makes a huge difference on my system.
Mike

wie
08-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Well, of course I see the normal differences with Cleartype on and off. Since I don't like the fuzzy appearance of Cleartype, I have turned it off.
On and off does not change the above problem, I mean. Also with Cleartype on it looks bad, but not that much.
Most clearly the Omikron has a different hight.
I just repeated the above procedure and exchanged the fonts. Same thing.

EDIT:
I just did another test.
I loaded both the early font and the later one into a font editor program.
The glyphs look identical.
I renamed both fonts and safed them under another name.
I then wrote something with both fonts in Word 2007.
The later font looks bad, the earlier one looks good.
It is most notable at 16-18 pt.

SkipB
08-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Wieland, Have you recently added Service Pack 3. It has been a while now, but I remember after my office computer was upgraded last summer, the fonts seemed to change after SP 3 went on. But it wasn't just BibleWorks. My fonts in Nota Bene look different on screen. You are right, the vowels (especially the omicron) seem a little too big. No solution for you, but I have blamed the appearance on a change in the OS.

wie
08-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Yes, I have SP3 on both computers.
But the point is that the fonts delivered with the DVD are ok, only the new ones from the update are strange.

ingosorke
08-23-2009, 10:58 PM
Wie geht's? (Few people will get that one!)

Anyway, Wieland, have you tried changing your Browse Window Font size to 13 or 14? My 12-size Bwgrkl looks ragged, too, and SBL Greek doesn't show Greek at all, but size 14 doesn't look too bad. Definitely not as clear as they used to look, and I don't like Cleartype either (somewhat of a misnomer).

Ingo

wie
08-24-2009, 05:52 AM
Changing font sizes improves the matter somewhat.
But that's no solution. I am using Bwgrkl in size 16 because it is a rather small font compared to the standard fonts.

This is still an open problem and I haven't heard anyhing from BW yet.
BW has clearly changed something between the latest fonts versions, with a turn for the worse.

ingosorke
08-24-2009, 08:34 AM
I hear you.

Between display clarity, export fonts vs. non-export fonts, unicode, non-unicode, issues with cut-and-paste into various 3rd party word processors, right-to-left dynamics, keyboard convenience, classroom use (dynamic, on-the-fly sizing), fonts still remain a challenge.

But then again, my colleage wrote his dissertation on a typewriter, leaving "appropriate spaces" for later inserts . . .

Ingo