PDA

View Full Version : Verse List Organizer 3.0

Adelphos
07-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Verse List Organizer 3.0 is now available.

The new version is smaller, sleeker, faster.

I am upgrading this to version 3.0 because I've redone the overall font size of the interface in order to make the window a bit smaller. I have added no new features, nor do I plan to right away, at least not unless I get a brainstorm for one. This change was implemented primarily for compatibility with future projects.

The window itself is about 1/2 inch shorter and 1/2 inch less wide.

To put that in BibleWorks terms, this means you can view approximately one more Bible version in the browse window than before, assuming you have VLO overlapping BW.

You probably won't recognize any changes to the size of the internals, i.e., the text in the list boxes and combo boxes and buttons, etc., as most of the changes are under the hood, so in addition to the smaller window size, there has also been a slight improvement in efficiency, but since we're only talking about a few millionths of a second, you shouldn't notice any difference in that regard either.

The main difference that you will notice is the overall size of the window.

You can download the Install files and/or the Update files HERE (http://lamblion.net/Links/links.htm)

Michael Hanel
07-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Wow, you're going to catch up to version 8 by Christmas at this rate! :)

Adelphos
07-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Wow, you're going to catch up to version 8 by Christmas at this rate! :)

You've found me out!

I think it's time to expand the horizons with more good BW auxiliaries, but with the view of making them all interrelated. Time will tell.

Ooops. Gotta go... I just made coffee with VLO! :cool:

Adelphos
07-30-2009, 01:50 AM
Actually, I did just add one tiny new feature a few moments ago (if you got the earlier version you'll have to get it again), and that is because I am constantly wanting to know the number of verse references in some of my VLM files, so instead of switching back to BW, I just added the new item.

From the VLM Files menu item, choose Count Verse References to use this feature.

Precha1
07-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Scott,

Just a quick note to say "thank you" for ALL the free resources you make available within BW to help me get the most out of Bible Study.

God bless you, brother.

Adelphos
07-30-2009, 05:58 PM
Scott,

Just a quick note to say "thank you" for ALL the free resources you make available within BW to help me get the most out of Bible Study.

God bless you, brother.

Thanks for the encouragement, Bro!

Adelphos
08-02-2009, 01:55 PM
Perhaps a little overkill, but I've added a right-click capability to the two listboxes in Verse List Organizer. Since there are so many right-click options in BW, I got used to right-clicking all the time, and although it's really not needed in VLO, I added it anyway to accommodate my habit of right-clicking.

Adelphos
08-02-2009, 05:23 PM
I inadvertantly broke the vertical scroll bars in the two listboxes when I added the right-click capability, so if you got the update within about an hour or so of the above post, you need to go get it again, as the vertical scrollbars are back in play.

Adelphos
08-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Okay, you need to grab the latest update, i.e., as of 11:00pm EST.

I managed to break not only the listbox scroll bars, but the combobox scroll bars as well. As far as I know, everything is now working as normal, including all the recent additions.

If you have a version earlier than 11pm this evening, you need to get the latest. And that's all for awhile. I prom.....

Never mind.

bobvenem
08-03-2009, 08:50 AM
No worries, Scott. Mercedes-Benz overengineers their stuff, too.

Adelphos
08-03-2009, 09:11 AM
No worries, Scott. Mercedes-Benz overengineers their stuff, too.

Yeah, but they've got a far better marketing strategy than I! :eek:

Adelphos
08-05-2009, 06:59 PM
I've added anothr layer to VLO 3.0.

You can either right-click either of the two list boxes or choose from the VLM Files or Category menu to activate the Verse List Organizer Files Catalog.

This little utility puts your VLO Category files or your BW VLM files into a list box so that you can copy all or part of the list to the clipboard and then manipulate however you will.

IOW, this utility gives you a folder list of each file grouping.

The Install files and/or the Update files can be downloaded HERE (http://lamblion.net/Links/links.htm)

Adelphos
08-06-2009, 07:36 PM
I have made Verse List Organizer 3.0 still smaller. It is shorter in height by about a 1/4 of an inch. I feel it is now a very nice size and fit for use with BibleWorks. I have also made a few internal maintenance changes, which you won't notice but which makes VLO very stable and efficient.

You can download the Install files and/or the Update files HERE (http://lamblion.net/Links/links.htm)

Precha1
08-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Hi Scott,

I appreciate all of the time and effort you have taken to create, update, and maintain VLO 3.0.

I am not sure what I did but when I click on the Help menu I get the following Unable To Locate VLO Help File!

I have no idea what I did. Would you kindly guide me through the steps I need to take to restore the help file.

Thanks,

William

Adelphos
08-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Are you sure the help file (vlo.chm) is in the same folder as vlo.exe? If not, VLO won't find it.

Precha1
08-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Are you sure the help file (vlo.chm) is in the same folder as vlo.exe? If not, VLO won't find it.

Both are in the folder labeled Verse List Organizer. The vlo.exe is also on my desktop as a shortcut.

Adelphos
08-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Both are in the folder labeled Verse List Organizer. The vlo.exe is also on my desktop as a shortcut.

Was it working before, i.e, at some point in the past, because nothing has changed in the code.

In any event, navigate to your VLO folder and double-click on vlo.exe IN THAT FOLDER. IOW, do NOT run it from your shortcut. Rather double-click on vlo.exe in that folder. Also make sure vlo.chm is in the same folder in which you double-click on vlo.exe.

Now, when VLO pops up, select Help Contents and see if that works. If it does, then follow these steps...

First, make sure you have the latest version of VLO. Next, delete the shortcut from your desktop and then remake it using the right mouse | new | shortcut operation on your desktop.

Now try it again.

Please let me know what happens.

Precha1
08-08-2009, 08:35 AM
I followed your instructions to the letter. The help file now opens. However, the right window pane has the following message: "Navigation to the webpage was canceled. What you can try: Retype the address."

I have no clue what this means or where to go from here. Thanks for your help.

Adelphos
08-08-2009, 10:15 AM
I followed your instructions to the letter. The help file now opens. However, the right window pane has the following message: "Navigation to the webpage was canceled. What you can try: Retype the address."

I don't know what that means, but it has nothing to do with VLO.

It sounds like something in your system is not configured correctly. Also, you are running anti-virus software, aren't you?

When you say "right window pane" I also don't know what you mean. Can you provide a screen shot?

Precha1
08-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Here is my best attempt at a screen shot.

http://C:\Users\William Tyree\Desktop\VLO_and_help_file.jpg

Adelphos
08-08-2009, 11:09 AM
I think you may be having user account issues, but I can't be sure. Try this...

Navigate to the file, vlo.chm, and right-click on that file. I don't have Vista, so I'm not sure of the exact menu name, but if there's an option to unlock something, or to change the status of that file, click on that to change the status of the file and see if that does the trick.

Precha1
08-08-2009, 11:14 AM
I navigated to the file clicked on properties and then had to unblock the program.

Apparently Vista blocked it since it came from another computer. Thanks for your patience and assistance.

Adelphos
08-08-2009, 11:16 AM
I navigated to the file clicked on properties and then had to unblock the program.

Apparently Vista blocked it since it came from another computer. Thanks for your patience and assistance.

Glad you got it worked out. VLO looks very nice on your screen.

Precha1
08-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Thanks Scott,

I really like your step by step tutorial. BTW has anyone given any thought to a tutorial for the Verse List Manager? I looked for one but only found help on what each aspect does as opposed to how and why one would use it.

Adelphos
08-08-2009, 12:22 PM
I really like your step by step tutorial. BTW has anyone given any thought to a tutorial for the Verse List Manager? I looked for one but only found help on what each aspect does as opposed to how and why one would use it.

The VLM is pretty straight-forward. It doesn't offer a lot in the way of organization, which is why I developed VLO. In other words, the VLM simply allows you to gather verses into a file and to use those results in a number of ways, such as for other searches and so forth, but it doesn't offer you a way to make a lot of sense out of what you've done, whereas VLO fills this niche.

The WLM (Word List Manager) is another story altogether. The WLM is extremely powerful, but I suspect that at LEAST ninety-five percent of BW users haven't a clue as to what to do with it, or how powerful it is.

Accordingly, I am toying around even now with writing a program to marshall all of the WLM capabilities into an interface which will not only expand the capabilities, but make the already existing capabilities much more accessible to the average user.

But don't hold your breath, because I'm only in the beginning of the design phase right now.