PDA

View Full Version : displaying "# hits in book" stats

jimofbentley
07-29-2009, 02:17 AM
I recently did a search using two words and entered the following on the command line

.without defect

I checked the "stats" tab, and saw the "#vss in bk with hit"

However, when I tried to view the "# hits in book", (as this is sometimes different when a searched upon word/phrase appears twice in one book - in this case "without defect" appears three times in Numbers 6:14), an error message appeared which said, "when this search was performed, only verses were counted. To count matches, redo the search as a quote search on the commandline, or with hit/highlighting enabled in the GSE".

I was not using the GSE, so that is not a problem (yet), but what is a "quote search"? I looked in the help file, and could not find it listed.

How am I able to look at the # hits in book?

Thanks

almather
07-29-2009, 07:23 AM
My guess, without rereading the help section, would be that it was asking you to do the search

'without defect

using single quotation mark, which is a phrase search.

Al

jimofbentley
07-30-2009, 12:17 AM
My guess, without rereading the help section, would be that it was asking you to do the search

'without defect

using single quotation mark, which is a phrase search.

Al

Thanks, but that didn't work either.

I had thought of using quote marks after (i.e. ."without defect") but that produced a different error message.

Adelphos
07-30-2009, 12:29 AM
You may be confusing quote marks with a plain apostrophe. You do not use a single quote mark or a double quote mark to do quote searches.

You use a single apostrophe to do quote searches. Thus, I did this search and it works perfectly --

'without defect

I also chose #hits in book in the stats pane and it displayed as it should.

jimofbentley
07-30-2009, 05:26 AM
You may be confusing quote marks with a plain apostrophe. You do not use a single quote mark or a double quote mark to do quote searches.

You use a single apostrophe to do quote searches. Thus, I did this search and it works perfectly --

'without defect

I also chose #hits in book in the stats pane and it displayed as it should.

Thanks for that.

I tried

'without defect

and still could not get it to work.

However - and this is the strange part - when I went to "options" on the Stats tab, and "new window", it worked perfectly and I was able to tell the number of total hits.

I tried a few other examples, and in every case it was the same. It would not show the "hits in a book" until I opened the chart in a new window.

I don't understand it - but at least I can get it to work - and that is what is important.