PDA

View Full Version : double-click to exit program?

ingosorke
07-28-2009, 11:01 PM
I remember this being the case in Bibleworks 7: I still (BW 8) need to click twice on the "exit program" X in the upper right-hand corner to exit out of Bibleworks. Not a big deal; just wondering if that's an isolated issue or common among other users. I was going to blame it on Vista, but may be it's the economy . . . ?

Ingo

Adelphos
07-28-2009, 11:07 PM
I remember this being the case in Bibleworks 7: I still (BW 8) need to click twice on the "exit program" X in the upper right-hand corner to exit out of Bibleworks...

No, it's not just you. The BW team kept this feature in! :o

ISalzman
07-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Maybe there's a glitch in my system, but I just need to click once and the program exits.

Adelphos
07-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Maybe there's a glitch in my system, but I just need to click once and the program exits.

No, it's not a glitch in your system. I guess you just didn't receive the unlock code for this feature, which means you're not one of BW's special users. :p

Glenn Weaver
07-29-2009, 09:59 AM
I didn't receive the special code, either. I think the "double-click to exit feature" has been there since BW6 or so. I haven't been able to establish a pattern to reproduce this issue. Until we can reproduce the issue on-demand, it is hard to diagnose and fix the problem.

Maybe Amazon's control of "one-click shopping" pushed us to use "double-click exit". :-)

Adelphos
07-29-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't think this is reproducible because it doesn't happen all the time. I think it's a matter of a specific window not having the input focus when you click the x mark, thus the first click only establishes the input focus and then the second click actually sends the quit message.

Adelphos
07-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Maybe Amazon's control of "one-click shopping" pushed us to use "double-click exit". :-)

Actually, you may have hit upon the problem. It could be that everyone who has signed up for "one-click shopping" on Amazon has inadvertently triggered this behavior in BibleWorks. Thus, cancelling your account with Amazon may fix it. :cool:

wie
07-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Unbelievable. It's still in 8?
I complained about it in 6, but M. Bushell was unable to reproduce it.
I have it in 7, too.
I don't know the reason. If you just start BW and then close it immediately it does not happen. It only happens if you close it after some time.
No other program behaves like this. Windows XP.

Adelphos
07-29-2009, 03:00 PM
No other program behaves like this. Windows XP.

I'm 99% certain it's a focus issue. BW has about a gazillion windows, and multiple windows even in its main interface. For example, the two tab groupings are windows unto themselves, as well as the toolbar, etc.

It's also possible that there are ghost windows which are created/destroyed after certain tasks, although only BW knows that for sure.

Anyway, it only happens at certain times, and the fact that it won't close on the first click sometimes tells me that it almost certainly is a focus issue, nothing more.

MBushell
07-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Scott's analysis is correct. It is a focus issue. I have had it happen to me maybe 6 times in 3 years and have never been able to reproduce it. I do not think it is a BibleWorks issue because it has happened a couple of times in other applications. Hopefully it appears to happen almost exclusively in BW because people use BW a lot! But if we can't reproduce it we can't fix it. If it is a huge annoyance I can spend time on it, but the benefit to users versus others things I can do with my programming time is probably minimal.
Mike

ISalzman
07-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Scott's analysis is correct. It is a focus issue. I have had it happen to me maybe 6 times in 3 years and have never been able to reproduce it. I do not think it is a BibleWorks issue because it has happened a couple of times in other applications. Hopefully it appears to happen almost exclusively in BW because people use BW a lot! But if we can't reproduce it we can't fix it. If it is a huge annoyance I can spend time on it, but the benefit to users versus others things I can do with my programming time is probably minimal.
Mike

I believe you're absolutely correct. I don't believe it is a BW problem at all. I have never had it happen to me in BW, which I use a lot (every day of the week). Funnily enough, it happens to me frequently in Logos. (And, by the way, let me set the record straight here; I am in BW much more frequently than in Logos!) But it almost always happens to me when the Logos Updater asks me to close the program so that it can effect the update. (By the way, I am so glad that the BW Updater does this by itself automatically!) In Logos, I pretty much always have to double click the "x," when closing during updates.

ingosorke
07-30-2009, 08:10 PM
MB, I vote you spend your programming time on other things. :)