PDA

View Full Version : Copy/paste problem

Michael Burer
07-27-2009, 07:46 AM
I have the following text in my verse note on Romans 3:30:

Here περιτομή = cultic rite, but it ultimately refers to those who have undergone the rite. Likely περιτομή and ἀκροβυστία refer to Jews and Gentiles as entire ethnic groups.

I have tried to copy and paste this text into my verse note for Gal 2:7, but for some reason the paste command accomplishes nothing. My cursor will go down a line as if something had been pasted with a paragraph return at the end of the line, but there is no text there.

Let me detail the steps I took exactly:

Text was entered in original note by typing normally for English and then switching to Unicode for Greek.
I highlight the entire note with my cursor.
I press Ctrl-C on the keyboard.
I navigate to new note, position cursor, press Ctrl-V.

The result is consistent: Cursor moves down a line as if text were entered, but there is nothing entered that I can see.

I'd appreciate any help in figuring this out. My hunch is that it has something to do with Unicode, but I don't know enough to troubleshoot it myself.

D Hsu
07-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Sorry this is not a solution but a complaint about a similar problem. Ever since I upgraded to BW8, I am having trouble pasting Greek text into the notes area. Once pasted, the Greek text would appear in the wrong font, and a change of font does not correct the issue. I also have noticed that occasionally the pasted Greek text would appear correctly in the notes for a short time, but after I return to the same notes page a little later, the display problem re-occurs.

I agree this seems like a unicode issue, as I also work with text in Chinese, and have seen this kind of issue where certain Greek alphabet or accent mark not pasting correctly. Is this a bug or do I have a problem with my setup?

MBushell
07-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Sorry this is not a solution but a complaint about a similar problem. Ever since I upgraded to BW8, I am having trouble pasting Greek text into the notes area. Once pasted, the Greek text would appear in the wrong font, and a change of font does not correct the issue. I also have noticed that occasionally the pasted Greek text would appear correctly in the notes for a short time, but after I return to the same notes page a little later, the display problem re-occurs.

I agree this seems like a unicode issue, as I also work with text in Chinese, and have seen this kind of issue where certain Greek alphabet or accent mark not pasting correctly. Is this a bug or do I have a problem with my setup?

Make sure you have the latest executable. A problem was fixed last week that could cause this.

Mike

MBushell
07-27-2009, 12:13 PM
I have the following text in my verse note on Romans 3:30:

Here περιτομή = cultic rite, but it ultimately refers to those who have undergone the rite. Likely περιτομή and ἀκροβυστία refer to Jews and Gentiles as entire ethnic groups.
I have tried to copy and paste this text into my verse note for Gal 2:7, but for some reason the paste command accomplishes nothing. My cursor will go down a line as if something had been pasted with a paragraph return at the end of the line, but there is no text there.

Let me detail the steps I took exactly:

Text was entered in original note by typing normally for English and then switching to Unicode for Greek.
I highlight the entire note with my cursor.
I press Ctrl-C on the keyboard.
I navigate to new note, position cursor, press Ctrl-V.

The result is consistent: Cursor moves down a line as if text were entered, but there is nothing entered that I can see.

I'd appreciate any help in figuring this out. My hunch is that it has something to do with Unicode, but I don't know enough to troubleshoot it myself.
Michael,

I am unable to duplicate this. I don't think it is a Unicode issue. But it is probably not a BibleWorks issue. When the editor has the focus, Microsoft is in control. Try opening the note in Wordpad (the notes are all RTF text files) and see if it exhibits the same problem.
Mike

Michael Burer
07-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks for chiming in, Mike!

I opened the note in Wordpad. I was able to copy and paste to my heart's content with no oddities. I also copied the note from within BW and pasted it into Wordpad with no problems. I still cannot copy and paste from BW note to BW note, though.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

MBushell
07-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Michael,
Back up your copyops.dat file and your bw800.ini file. Then delete them. If that makes a difference then send me those two files.
Mike

Michael Burer
07-31-2009, 10:40 AM
Here's what I did:

I used Windows Explorer to find those two files. I backed them up then deleted them.
I started BW normally (that is, without pressing the shift key).
I tried to again copy and paste the note.

The result was the same: The note was not pasted properly.

D Hsu
08-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Make sure you have the latest executable. A problem was fixed last week that could cause this.

Mike

Hi Mike, I updated to the latest executable, but my problem with the pasted Greek text corruption remains. The pasted text looks fine at first, but once I go to a different screen and come back to my notes, the pasted Grk text display in my notes appear corrupted. The corruption or display problem always happen at the point of the accent marks, as all accent marks and the Greek alphabets with the accent marks disappear and are replaced with extra white spaces, regardless of the Greek fonts used. Font changes do not appear to fix the problem. :confused:

Any suggestions? Do I have a setup issue or is this a bug in the notes programming? Thanks,

DH