PDA

View Full Version : citing the Old Testament Pseudepigrapha

ra_rodr
07-24-2009, 04:17 PM
I'm citing the BW8 text of Lives of the Prophets, and I can't figure out how best to cite this version of the text (whose verse numbering differs from Hare's translation in Charlesworth). I did find this:

OPG, OPM, OPE - Old Testament Greek Pseudepigrapha (OPG), Old Testament Greek Pseudepigrapha Morphology (OPM), and Old Testament Greek Pseudepigrapha English translation (OPE). The Greek Pseudepigrapha. Electronic text prepared by Craig A. Evans. Morphologically tagged by Rex A. Koivisto. Copyright © 2008 Craig A. Evans. Copyright © OakTree Software, Inc. The Pseudepigrapha (English), Translated by Craig E. Evans, assisted by Danny Zacharias, Matt Walsh, and Scott Kohler. Copyright © 2008 Craig A. Evans.

But I can't find information about the Greek text, including information regarding its manuscript basis and its alternate numbering system. Does anyone have any advice?

Rafael Rodríguez
Knoxville, TN

SkipB
07-25-2009, 10:22 AM
If you put the cursor over the version id in the browse window, the analysis window has a good deal of information. For example you can find that: Apocalypse of Zephaniah [APZ] — Text from Clement of Alexandria, Stromata 5.11.77.2 (GCS 52.377). does that help?

Mark Eddy
07-25-2009, 10:28 AM
If you put your cursor of the version abbreviation "OPG" in the browse window, you will see (among other things) this information:
This module contains all known Greek texts of the Pseudepigrapha. Other texts of the Pseudepigrapha that do not appear in this module (such as 2 Enoch) are not present, because they do not have a Greek manuscript. The actual Greek texts used in this module have been taken from standard public domain texts.
Some of the texts are fragmentary. Not every verse contains text. Blank verses are included for completeness. Periods and brackets in the text indicate where the text in that verse is fragmentary and where editorial decisions were made concerning the text. Unidentified lemmas in the morphology version are tagged with 000@z. Unidentified morphology is identified using the z tag in the morphology.
Where possible, the versification of the Old Testament Greek Pseudepigrapha conforms to the Rahlfs LXX text and to the Charles English Pseudepigrapha text. This allows for easier comparison between the Old Testament Greek Pseudepigraph and other BibleWorks editions of the same texts. Introductory verses are included with the first verse.

If you look further down in the analysis window (where the above information displays), you will see copyright information for most of the works included in OPG.

Most versions in BibleWorks contains this sort of information. But how in depth it gets depends on the people who supply this information to BibleWorks.
Since many of these sorts of texts are taken from "public domain" sources (i.e. more than 75 years old), they are often not the most recent critical texts. But they give us a good starting point for exploring such material.
As the programmers often say, however, if you use a certain text a lot, it is still good to buy the real, physical book.
Mark Eddy

ra_rodr
07-31-2009, 03:01 PM
Mark and SkipB,

Thanks. It's amazing how easy some things are, and how much time you can spend assuming they're more difficult.

Regards,
Rafael