PDA

View Full Version : New Aramaic Resources for BibleWorks 8

Glenn Weaver
07-23-2009, 10:52 AM
We are pleased to announce new Aramaic resources available for BibleWorks 8.

The first new resource is the Introductory Lessons in Aramaic, by Eric D. Reymond. This introductory Aramaic grammar includes exercises, answers to the exercises, and a glossary.

The second new resource is a set of Aramaic Paradigms for Aramaic verbs, produced by Jan Verbruggen. Included in a future update will be the full set of sound files by Jan Verbruggen for each paradigm.

NOTE: The sound files have now been posted. After you download the exe version 12a or later, the sound files update is available.

This is a free download for BibleWorks 8 users.

It is available through the BibleWorks 8 updater under Help | BibleWorks on the Internet | Check for updates.

ISalzman
07-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks Glenn!

I believe there was a slight glitch in the updater yesterday with respect to the 'Aramaic Additions' patch, but it seems to have been resolved. I got error messages the first couple of times I tried to get the patch. But the third time was "the charm," as they say.

By the way, do you know if the sound files will work on Windows XP, or will they only work on Vista? Grateful for your response. Thanks much.

Irving Salzman

Glenn Weaver
07-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Hi Irving,

The sound files will work with XP, as well.

ISalzman
07-23-2009, 11:10 AM
Hi Irving,

The sound files will work with XP, as well.

Thanks Glenn!

Forgive the additional question, but do you or Mark have any possible training workshops envisioned at Princeton in the coming year?

Glenn Weaver
07-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Hi Irving,

I am unaware of workshops schedules, as that is Mark's responsibility. I suggest that you email Mark at Customer Service to inquire about a workshop at Princeton.

ISalzman
07-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Hi Irving,

I am unaware of workshops schedules, as that is Mark's responsibility. I suggest that you email Mark at Customer Service to inquire about a workshop at Princeton.

Hi Glenn,

Sure thing. Thank you.

Ken Neighoff
07-23-2009, 11:51 AM
I saw the sound files yesterday, but upon the download, it told me the header was bad and the download ceased.

Now I do not see the sound files?

Am I missing something?

ISalzman
07-23-2009, 12:04 PM
I saw the sound files yesterday, but upon the download, it told me the header was bad and the download ceased.

Now I do not see the sound files?

Am I missing something?

I believe the problem you experienced yesterday was related to the 'Aramaic Additions' patch itself, and NOT the sound files. The patch issue has now been resolved and the update should work successfully The sound files will only be added in the future.

To check to see if your update worked successfully yesterday, you should verify that you have the following references:

1. In BW8, on the Resource Tab, and on the References sub-tab, you should have listed 'Reymond, Introductory Lessons in Aramaic.' And,

2. In BW8, on the Resource Tab, and on the Grammar sub-tab, you should have listed under Hebrew Grammars 'BibleWorks, Aramaic Paradigms.'

If you don't have those resources, you should run the updater again.

Ken Neighoff
07-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Yes, I have those files, except my Aramaic paradigms, are find under the Aramaic section under Resources.

The sound files were listed yesterday, along with a note about being 65 mb in size. So I am just wondering if they are going to be posted later on for download.

ISalzman
07-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Yes, I have those files, except my Aramaic paradigms, are find under the Aramaic section under Resources.

The sound files were listed yesterday, along with a note about being 65 mb in size. So I am just wondering if they are going to be posted later on for download.

Interesting. I don't have an 'Aramaic' subsection under my resource grammars. My assumption is that you may other Aramaic resources installed that you may have purchased as an add-on module in the past? Just out of curiousity, what other Aramaic grammars do you have?

The sound files, according to Glenn Weaver and also the description under the 'Aramaic Additions' patch file, will be added in the future. They have not yet been posted. You're not missing anything.

Glenn Weaver
07-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Aramaic Paradigms and Reymond, Introductory Lessons in Aramaic should appear under Resources | Aramaic.

The sound files will be posted shortly after we work out a technical difficulty with the updater related to the sound files installation. The sound files were posted briefly yesterday, but they did not install correctly, so we removed them from the download list.

Ken Neighoff
07-23-2009, 12:39 PM
My other Aramaic resource is Title PageWritings of William Norton

A Translation, in English Daily Used, of the Peshito-Syriac Text, and of the Received Greek Text of Hebrews, James, 1 Peter, and 1 John

With an Introduction, on the Peshito-Syriac Text, and the Revised Greek Text of 1881.

ISalzman
07-23-2009, 12:39 PM
Aramaic Paradigms and Reymond, Introductory Lessons in Aramaic should appear under Resources | Aramaic.

Interesting. On the 'Resources' Menu at the top of the program window, the two resources are, indeed, listed under 'Aramaic.' However, on the 'Resources' tab in the 'Analysis Window,' 'Reymond, Introductory Lessons in Aramaic' is listed on the References sub-tab, under 'English' resources. And, 'BibleWorks, Aramaic Paradigms' is listed on the Grammar sub-tab, in the 'Hebrew' section. Not that it matters all that much ultimately. But they are labeled differently on the Resource Menu at the top of the BW program window than they are on the Resource Tab in the Analysis Window.

ISalzman
07-23-2009, 12:47 PM
My other Aramaic resource is Title PageWritings of William Norton

A Translation, in English Daily Used, of the Peshito-Syriac Text, and of the Received Greek Text of Hebrews, James, 1 Peter, and 1 John

With an Introduction, on the Peshito-Syriac Text, and the Revised Greek Text of 1881.

Thanks Ken! Ah yes, William Norton, otherwise famous for his Norton Anti-Virus software. Not! :D

Ben Spackman
07-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Hooray for Aramaic, the too-oft second class Semitic citizen of the Biblical studies world :)

ISalzman
07-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Hooray for Aramaic, the too-oft second class Semitic citizen of the Biblical studies world :)

And, hurray for Brooklyn! Some of the best corned beef in the world can be had there!

Adamsen
07-24-2009, 03:32 PM
We are pleased to announce new Aramaic resources available for BibleWorks 8. It is available through the BibleWorks 8 updater under Help | BibleWorks on the Internet | Check for updates.

Thank you very much. This is great.

However, I cannot get the Aramaic scripts to work. BW8 also keeps telling me that it is unable to create the Greek font used for display. I think I have followed the instructions in this entry: "Unable to create font bwgrkl point size 12." (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3219&highlight=unable+create+bwgrkl)

I use Win7 RC1.

Is there any other solution than continuing to reinstall the fonts?

Glenn Weaver
07-28-2009, 10:44 AM
NOTE: The sound files have now been posted. After you download the exe version 12a or later, the sound files update is available.

ISalzman
07-28-2009, 12:11 PM

Thanks Glenn. I ran the update. When I open up the resource (Aramaic Paradigms), however, and click on the speaker icon, I get only error messages saying that the file was not found. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Irving Salzman

Glenn Weaver
07-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Hi Irving,

Did you download the sound files, or only the Aramaic Additions? If you only downloaded the additions, then you do not yet have the sound files.

In order to see the sound files download (a large download, about 65 megs), you must first download the exe update number 12a. After the exe is updated, then running the updater will show the sound files download.

ISalzman
07-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks Glenn, you correctly diagnosed the problem. I didn't realize you actually had to run the updater twice. All is well now. Not that I really need the sound files, mind you. I have been reading Aramaic since I was 12 and I am near about 50 now. But it is a cool thing to be able to have it on the PC and show others. Once again, thanks for your help, Glenn!

Precha1
07-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks Glenn, you correctly diagnosed the problem. I didn't realize you actually had to run the updater twice. All is well now.

I had the same problem. But thanks to your post, my problem is also solved.

Nice feature. Thanks Glenn and BW team.

ISalzman
07-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Any nice beaches in the Chesapeake, VA area?

Adamsen
07-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Thank you very much. This is great.

However, I cannot get the Aramaic scripts to work. BW8 also keeps telling me that it is unable to create the Greek font used for display. I think I have followed the instructions in this entry: "Unable to create font bwgrkl point size 12." (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3219&highlight=unable+create+bwgrkl)

I use Win7 RC1.

Is there any other solution than continuing to reinstall the fonts?

The Greek font seems to work, at least for the time being. However, I still have no Aramaic script in the Aramaic resources.

Any suggestions as to what I could try?

Georg

ISalzman
07-28-2009, 04:03 PM
The Greek font seems to work, at least for the time being. However, I still have no Aramaic script in the Aramaic resources.

Any suggestions as to what I could try?

Georg

Just out of curiosity, what shows up on your screen when you browse the Aramaic resources? In other words, what font does load on the screen when you display Aramaic resources?

Adamsen
07-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Just out of curiosity, what shows up on your screen when you browse the Aramaic resources? In other words, what font does load on the screen when you display Aramaic resources?

Only English script. No Aramaic. If I open a Hebrew resource, it is displayed as usual. So are, e.g., Daniel 7.

ISalzman
07-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Only English script. No Aramaic. If I open a Hebrew resource, it is displayed as usual. So are, e.g., Daniel 7.

In BW, which Aramaic resources are you attempting to view? Please provide the names of the Aramaic resources. Also, what version of the BW executable are you running? Also, have you installed the 'Aramaic Additions patch?' It can be installed by checking the relevant box on the list of available updates. It is an 'Optional Update.'

Thank you.

Adamsen
07-28-2009, 04:23 PM
In BW, which Aramaic resources are you attempting to view? Please provide the names of the Aramaic resources. Also, what version of the BW executable are you running? Thank you.

Both the two new resources have this problem. Introductory Lessons in Aramaic by Reymond. Aramic Paradigms.

I am running BW8 fully updated, on Win7 RC1 64-bit with a lot of resources.

ISalzman
07-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Both the two new resources have this problem. Introductory Lessons in Aramaic by Reymond. Aramic Paradigms.

I am running BW8 fully updated, on Win7 RC1 64-bit with a lot of resources.

Hmmmm, that's unusual. Can you check the version on the Help Menu (Help | About)? The latest executable should be 8.0.012a.1.

The other thing that comes to mind is that when the 'Aramaic Additions' patch was first made available, the update would fail because of a bad file name. I wonder if your installation of the Aramaic resources failed at that time. Try running the updater again (Help | BibleWorks on the Internet | Check for Updates) and see if the item shows up under 'Optional Updates.' Remember, the updates normally have two sections: Recommended and Optional. The Aramaic Additions update is listed under the Optional Updates.

Adamsen
07-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Hmmmm, that's unusual. Can you check the version on the Help Menu (Help | About)? The latest executable should be 8.0.012a.1.

The other thing that comes to mind is that when the 'Aramaic Additions' patch was first made available, the update would fail because of a bad file name. I wonder if your installation of the Aramaic resources failed at that time. Try running the updater again (Help | BibleWorks on the Internet | Check for Updates) and see if the item shows up under 'Optional Updates.' Remember, the updates normally have two sections: Recommended and Optional. The Aramaic Additions update is listed under the Optional Updates.

I have the latest executable. And I did not install the version with a bad file name. The files are installed. So apparently are the fonts, but it does not work. I have also tried installing the files manually.

ISalzman
07-28-2009, 05:33 PM
I am sorry for all your trouble. I am genuinely stumped by your issue. I assume you are accessing the Aramaic resources via the Resource Menu at the top of the BW program window and then choosing 'Aramaic.' What makes this so strange is that your Hebrew texts are displaying correctly. The Hebrew fonts and Aramaic fonts are one and the same. In fact, Hebrew script actually uses Aramaic characters. If your Hebrew texts are displaying correctly - which they are! - your Aramaic texts should, in theory, also be displaying correctly. I'm stumped. I hope you're able to get it resolved.

Precha1
07-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Any nice beaches in the Chesapeake, VA area?

Not in Chesapeake. However, I am not far from Virginia Beach (the worlds largest resort city).

ISalzman
07-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Not in Chesapeake. However, I am not far from Virginia Beach (the worlds largest resort city).

Oh, okay, your location says "Chesapeake."

Is Virginia Beach anything like Myrtle Beach (SC)? I think Myrtle Beach is a very nice family-oriented beach and resort.

Glenn Weaver
07-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Hi Georg,

I suggest contacting Customer Service about this, then if they are unable to fix the problem, ask them to send it to me. We started using Unicode fonts in the new CHM files, and perhaps it is causing a problem with your system settings. But you probably should start with Customer Service, since they would be better at diagnosing font and settings problems than I, since I don't usually work in that area.

Blessings,

Glenn Weaver
07-29-2009, 08:54 AM
Hi Irving,

Precha1 meant that there are no beaches in Cheasapeake. He lives in Cheasapeake, though.

I live close by, in Norfolk. There are beaches there, though. They are nice. Its been years since I went to Myrtle Beach. Virgina Beach is the place to go in this area.

Adamsen
07-29-2009, 08:55 AM
Hi Georg,

I suggest contacting Customer Service about this, then if they are unable to fix the problem, ask them to send it to me. We started using Unicode fonts in the new CHM files, and perhaps it is causing a problem with your system settings. But you probably should start with Customer Service, since they would be better at diagnosing font and settings problems than I, since I don't usually work in that area.

Blessings,Done so the day before yesterday. No answer yet.

ISalzman
07-29-2009, 11:02 AM
Hi Irving,

Precha1 meant that there are no beaches in Cheasapeake. He lives in Cheasapeake, though.

I live close by, in Norfolk. There are beaches there, though. They are nice. Its been years since I went to Myrtle Beach. Virgina Beach is the place to go in this area.

Thanks Glenn! I've always wanted to get to Virginia Beach, but have yet to do so, although I did have the opportunity to attend a ministry conference at the 'Founder's Inn' years ago. I believe they are either in Virginia Beach, or else not far. I wasn't able to leave the conference to get to the beach however.

The wife and the kids and I usually like to take a week vacation at the beach every year, but, unfortunately, I don't think it's going to work for us this year.

Adamsen
07-30-2009, 07:05 AM
I hope you're able to get it resolved.

The font has just decided to show up, so the problem is resolved, I think. :)

ISalzman
07-30-2009, 12:00 PM
The font has just decided to show up, so the problem is resolved, I think. :)

Great news. I guess these fonts can be a little touchy at times!