PDA

View Full Version : Abbreviations in Lexicons and Grammars

ISalzman
07-21-2009, 10:22 PM
I love having HALOT and BDAG, Wallace and Waltke & O'Connor, etc. But I think I'd get a whole lot more out of them if I could properly interpret their abbreviations which seem to come so frequently in the text of the articles. In Libronix, I find that if you hover your mouse over an inter-text abbreviation, it normally raises a popup window which explains the abbreviation. Short of that, within BibleWorks, is there a guide or legend to the abbreviations? Or has anyone created a user document or file which treats of and explains the abbreviations? Grateful for any feedback. Thanks.

Adelphos
07-21-2009, 11:15 PM
I love having HALOT and BDAG, Wallace and Waltke & O'Connor, etc.... within BibleWorks, is there a guide or legend to the abbreviations?

Open the Lexicon Browser and in the combo box under the Reload button you have exactly what you want.

ISalzman
07-21-2009, 11:28 PM
Open the Lexicon Browser and in the combo box under the Reload button you have exactly what you want.

Thanks. I saw what you were referring to. I guess it provides a legend of abbreviations. But, my goodness, you need to do a lot of scrolling to find the abbreviation you're looking for. I just think it would be great if hovering the mouse over the abbreviation within the relevant article itself would provoke a popup explaining/interpreting the in-text abbreviation. I could always open the Lexicon Browser and go scrolling for the abbreviation I'm looking for, but that would take a lot of extra needless time. But, again, thanks for the tip.