PDA

View Full Version : Copying WTT

ISalzman
07-16-2009, 05:17 PM
All,

I started a thread on this very topic a little while ago, but got no takers. Today, the problem recurred, so I thought I might take a stab at a new post. There seems to be a problem copying WTT. I tried copying in different ways (Popup Copy Window, Copy Selected results list verse, etc) and they all reproduced the same issue. When copying WTT into MS Word, the Hebrew text does not wrap correctly. As an example, try Lev. 21:5. I would be most interested to see if others are running in to this problem. For the record, I am running the most recent BW8 executable (8.0.011u.3, updated 7/16/09). I am using MS Word 2003 (latest service pack). Much obliged for responses. Thanks.

Irving Salzman

Adelphos
07-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Works fine for me. I'm using Word 2002.

Yaku Lee
07-16-2009, 08:53 PM
All,

I started a thread on this very topic a little while ago, but got no takers. Today, the problem recurred, so I thought I might take a stab at a new post. There seems to be a problem copying WTT. I tried copying in different ways (Popup Copy Window, Copy Selected results list verse, etc) and they all reproduced the same issue. When copying WTT into MS Word, the Hebrew text does not wrap correctly. As an example, try Lev. 21:5. I would be most interested to see if others are running in to this problem. For the record, I am running the most recent BW8 executable (8.0.011u.3, updated 7/16/09). I am using MS Word 2003 (latest service pack). Much obliged for responses. Thanks.

Irving Salzman

It seems that a mix up of fonts may cause the problem. When I check the fonts of Lev 21:5 after copying it on MS Word 2007, I find that the parentheses and the square brackets along with “WTT Leviticus 21:5” are Times New Roman and the Hebrew texts are SBL Hebrew. (I am using TNR as the base font on my Word.)

When the text of Lev 21:5 is copied to Word on a separate line, nothing is amiss. But when it is copied to Word in the middle of a line, the font mix up messes things up. It looks like the TNR follows the normal left-to-right process while the SBL H. tries right-to-left process, and if they are mixed on the same line, then the writing process goes back and forth, producing a confusion for us.

However, if Lev 21:6, which has no internal font mix up, is copied to the Word text, even in the middle of a line, it looks understandably OK.

So it seems that the question is how to handle the “( ) [ ]” in the middle of the WTT text. If so, isn’t this something the BW folks have to do something about?

ISalzman
07-16-2009, 09:51 PM
Works fine for me. I'm using Word 2002.

Are you sure? Forgive my asking, Adelphos, but how good are you with Hebrew? And did you use the test case verse of Lev. 21:5? I think Yaku hit on something. He noted in his post that there was a problem in the verse but only insofar as the text within brackets and parentheses was concerned. It so happens that the text in brackets and parentheses was, respectively, the ketib and the qere. These don't wrap well. There must be a glitch in the code that doesn't recognize the bracketed text. I tried Lev. 21:6, as Yaku had suggested, and it worked fine for me (although I had to select the text and align it right after I copied it into MS Word). If you try Lev. 21:5, compare the verse in the Browse Window with your text once pasted into Word. I believe you'll notice a difference.

ISalzman
07-16-2009, 09:54 PM
It seems that a mix up of fonts may cause the problem. When I check the fonts of Lev 21:5 after copying it on MS Word 2007, I find that the parentheses and the square brackets along with “WTT Leviticus 21:5” are Times New Roman and the Hebrew texts are SBL Hebrew. (I am using TNR as the base font on my Word.)

When the text of Lev 21:5 is copied to Word on a separate line, nothing is amiss. But when it is copied to Word in the middle of a line, the font mix up messes things up. It looks like the TNR follows the normal left-to-right process while the SBL H. tries right-to-left process, and if they are mixed on the same line, then the writing process goes back and forth, producing a confusion for us.

However, if Lev 21:6, which has no internal font mix up, is copied to the Word text, even in the middle of a line, it looks understandably OK.

So it seems that the question is how to handle the “( ) [ ]” in the middle of the WTT text. If so, isn’t this something the BW folks have to do something about it?

Thanks Yaku. I think you've made a good observation. I think the brackets throw everything off.

Adelphos
07-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Are you sure? Forgive my asking, Adelphos, but how good are you with Hebrew? And did you use the test case verse of Lev. 21:5?

I selected the text of Leviticus 21:5 with my mouse, chose "Repeate Last Copy Command" and then pasted it directly into Word. This is exactly how it came out --

http://www.lamblion.net/image_dump/lev215.jpg

I edited absolutely nothing. What you see is exactly what I got, and on the right side of the page, as opposed to the left side. And in case you're wondering, it works exactly the same way if I include the verse reference preceeding it.

ISalzman
07-16-2009, 10:48 PM
I selected the text of Leviticus 21:5 with my mouse, chose "Repeate Last Copy Command" and then pasted it directly into Word. This is exactly how it came out --

http://www.lamblion.net/lev215.jpg

I edited absolutely nothing. What you see is exactly what I got, and on the right side of the page, as opposed to the left side. And in case you're wondering, it works exactly the same way if I include the verse reference preceeding it.

Wow! OK, I believe you now. I tried doing what you suggested; I selected the text in the Browse Window, hit CTRL + C, and pasted into Word. Worked great! But what I had tried earlier was copying with the Popup Copy Window. That does NOT work properly. Could you try that, Adelphos? Have Lev. 21:5 displayed in your Browse Window. Click the 'Copy' button. Bring up the 'Popup Copy Window.' It should already be pre-populated with Lev. 21:5 as of today's BW executable update (8.0.011u.3). Click 'Copy.' Paste into MS Word. And then tell me what you get. (If you would please, please oblige me on this) Thanks so much.

Adelphos
07-16-2009, 11:03 PM
No, it copies backwards when I use the popup copy window, but fortunately for me the popup copy window is something I never use.

ISalzman
07-16-2009, 11:18 PM
No, it copies backwards when I use the popup copy window, but fortunately for me the popup copy window is something I never use.

Thanks for verifying. It must be a glitch in the Popup Copy Window. I used to use it all the time in previous versions of BibleWorks. I'll obviously not use it for now when it comes to copying WTT. For one reason or another it is not handling WTT very well at all. I wonder if this is an issue that will be addressed by the programmers. The Popup Window can be a handy little tool, especially when you want to copy ranges, and even large ranges, of text.

ISalzman
07-20-2009, 11:07 AM

The problem has been fixed with the latest program executable update. The BibleWorks staff and programmers are the best!

jimofbentley
07-23-2009, 02:14 AM
I use Word XP and there was never a problem - either before or after the fix. Neither have I had a problem with the copy pop-up.

And by the way, I like the new way that your current verse is the verse that is entered in the pop-up window. Saves having to type them in.

ISalzman
07-23-2009, 10:40 AM
I use Word XP and there was never a problem - either before or after the fix. Neither have I had a problem with the copy pop-up.

The problem seemed to arise when the popup copy window was used to copy Hebrew text from the WTT database, in particular, when there were alternate qere and ketib readings in the same verse. But it has been fixed now.

And by the way, I like the new way that your current verse is the verse that is entered in the pop-up window. Saves having to type them in.

Yes, I agree; that is a very helpful feature. It used to be like that before in previous versions of BibleWorks. The 'Copy Passage' window was always pre-populated with the current Browse Window verse, saving the need to type the reference in the 'Copy Passage' window box. Alas, it is that way once again, thanks to the very responsive nature of the BibleWorks staff.

SkipB
07-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Since the last couple of updates, when I use the popup copy window and paste a passage from WTT into any word processor I get 0:0 for the reference string, and no internal verse numbers. Never had a problem with pop up before. Sad...

ISalzman
07-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Since the last couple of updates, when I use the popup copy window and paste a passage from WTT into any word processor I get 0:0 for the reference string, and no internal verse numbers. Never had a problem with pop up before. Sad...

Hmmm ... I haven't had that experience. Works fine for me. Have you checked your Popup Copy settings?

SkipB
07-25-2009, 09:30 AM
I have the pop up copy window working ok now. I had to erase my ini file. Now I need to reconfigure everything to the way I work.

ISalzman
07-25-2009, 03:36 PM
I have the pop up copy window working ok now. I had to erase my ini file. Now I need to reconfigure everything to the way I work.

I guess your .ini file must have gotten corrupted. I'm glad to know that the Popup Copy window is working for you now.