PDA

View Full Version : Copy Verse List + Text vs. Copy Selected Results List Verse

ISalzman
07-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Yesterday, I attempted something I had never before attempted in BibleWorks. I thought it would be pretty straightforward, but, evidently, I was wrong. I wanted to import several of my search result verses - not all of them! - into my sermon. So, I began to put a check mark in all of the relevant boxes in the search window results list. Then I clicked on the command 'Copy Selected Results List Verse.' Lo and behold, it never ended up doing what I had hoped and thought it would do. It copied verses that weren't checked and it copied only some of those that were checked. I tried it over and over again as well as attempted to tweak the various copy settings. To no avail. I ended up having to click on each search result that I wanted to copy into my sermon, and had to copy it into my sermon, one verse at a time.

Tonight, I figured I'd play with it again to see if I could get it figured out. After all, the ability to copy all of the verses that I want into my sermon would be a pretty good feature to know about and to access often. But I tried something different this time. I tried a different command. I tried 'Copy Verse List + Text.' This time it worked. Eureka and magnifico!

But in the interim, could anyone please explain to me the difference between the two commands:

1. Copy Verse List + Text

2. Copy Selected Results List Verse

Much obliged for any feedback and insight.

Thanks much.

Irving Salzman

ISalzman
07-15-2009, 09:03 PM
Ouch, I've not had one response to my query in 47 views. I wonder if this is how the lepers must have felt in ancient Israel! :confused:

Adelphos
07-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Ouch, I've not had one response to my query in 47 views...

That's because the copy functions in BW are so complex now that not even the programmers know exactly what they do anymore! :rolleyes:

ISalzman
07-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Thanks Adelphos. Now I'm beginning to feel like Naaman the Syrian. I may be cured of the leprosy!

Greg Ward
07-15-2009, 11:11 PM
Okay, I'll try an answer. It is based on the F1 help file and my limited use in regards to your question.

--Note the number of "Verse" is singular. Only one verse (or reference is copied).

--Note that this is a "List", i.e. multiple verses. Where are verse lists in BW? Let's see.... the Search Results and the Verse List Manager. It would draw from one of these two areas. In the VLM you would export to the Results.
--Note this includes "Text", i.e. the word content of the verses.

Then, let me ask how did you try to copy and how was it configured?
Did you right-click in the Results pane and chose "Copy Selected Results Verse List" and then "Copy to Microsoft Word"? Did you check the configuration---Copy Selected Results Verse List/configure Verse Copy Favorites ? What was set up there for the "Copy to Microsoft Word" option? You're probably best to choose an undefined under Favorites settings and make your own format.

If I didn't understand what you were doing or looking for, I apologize. Please try to explain what you did in steps and what you want to get.

Glenn Weaver
07-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Hi Irving,

The Copy Selected Results List Verse only copies the currently-selected Search Window verse.

The Copy Verse List + Text will copy both the Verse List + Text of the Verse List. This is the default setting. If you wish to only copy checked verses in the Search Window Verse List, you will need to open the Copy Button | Copy Format Options | Copy Verse List + Text, then under "What to copy" select "Checked Verses Only". This enables you to export only the checked verse list verses.

The copy options are very flexible in order to enable you to export the text the way that works best for you. I suggest reading through the relevant help file material, then spend some time looking at the options settings.

If you still have questions, perhaps the best thing to do would be to contact our Customer Service. They will be glad to help you use the copy options.

ISalzman
07-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks Glenn for your answer!

Allow me to make a couple of observations.

1. The 'Copy Selected Results List Verse' command would, in effect, have the same function as the 'Copy Browse Window Verses' command, since the selected Analysis Window verse is typically always displayed in the Browse Window. Would this basically be correct?

2. In the options under 'Copy Selected Results List Verse,' there is a section entitled 'What to copy.' The choices are 'Checked Verses Only' or 'All Verses.' I have noticed that this command always copies the currently selected results list verse regardless of which copy setting is selected ('Checked Verses Only' or 'All Verses') and whether or not the verse is checked or not. Do you find this as well?

3. Vis-a-vis the Popup Copy Window (Copy Passage), it used to be that when you called it up, it would be pre-populated with the current Browse Window verse(s). That seems not to be the case anymore. It comes up with a clean/blank slate. Is there any way to get it to be populated with the current Browse Window verse(s) again?

Much obliged for your feedback. I don't mean to burden you with any more questions. If it's easier for you, I'd gladly put a call into tech support.

Thanks.

Irving Salzman

ISalzman
07-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Okay, I'll try an answer. It is based on the F1 help file and my limited use in regards to your question.

--Note the number of "Verse" is singular. Only one verse (or reference is copied).

--Note that this is a "List", i.e. multiple verses. Where are verse lists in BW? Let's see.... the Search Results and the Verse List Manager. It would draw from one of these two areas. In the VLM you would export to the Results.
--Note this includes "Text", i.e. the word content of the verses.

Then, let me ask how did you try to copy and how was it configured?
Did you right-click in the Results pane and chose "Copy Selected Results Verse List" and then "Copy to Microsoft Word"? Did you check the configuration---Copy Selected Results Verse List/configure Verse Copy Favorites ? What was set up there for the "Copy to Microsoft Word" option? You're probably best to choose an undefined under Favorites settings and make your own format.

If I didn't understand what you were doing or looking for, I apologize. Please try to explain what you did in steps and what you want to get.

Thanks Greg. I think you are basically correct.

Under copy options, I always prefer 'Copy to Clipboard.'

Everything seems to be working now. What I really wanted from the beginning was to copy my checked results verses. But I was using the wrong command. I was using 'Copy Selected Results List Verse,' whereas I should have been using 'Copy Verse List + Text with the option 'Checked Verses Only' selected. All is well that ends well though. Thanks much for your response.

Irving Salzman

Glenn Weaver
07-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Hi Irving,

1. Usually this is the case, but there can be an exception because of the way that BW8 handles Search Window verse lists differently than BW7. For example, if I display only the BNT in the Browse Window, and search on a Greek word. The Search Results list will be in BNT, and a NT verse will display in the Browse Window. But if I enter WTT on the Command Line, thereby changing the Search Version to WTT, Gen 1:1 appears in the Browse Window. But the Search Results list still is in BNT and only shows NT verses. In this case copying the Selected Results List Verse and copying the Browse Window verse will be different.

2. I think I noticed that, too. It seems that if you want to copy the single Selected Results List Verse, that you would want it to copy regardless of whether it is checked or not. If it was not checked and the option to only copy checked verses worked for this copy option, the result would be that nothing would be copied. So, I think this is done on purpose.

3. I don't know of any setting to have the Popup Copy Window populated with the current verse. That would be a suggestion to send to ideasform at bibleworks.com.

ISalzman
07-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks so much, Glenn for your helpful responses.

Irving Salzman