PDA

View Full Version : Happy 500th

Precha1
07-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Just in case you wanted to know. Today marks the 500th anniversary of John Calvin's birth.

Happy 500th to a great man of God!

Adelphos
07-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Just in case you wanted to know. Today marks the 500th anniversary of John Calvin's birth.

Happy 500th to a great man of God!

I was just apprised of that today by my Britannica email that I get daily on a noted person or event. Mr. Calvin is a much maligned and misunderstood man.

To get an idea of his daily workload you might want to read my brief writeup HERE (http://www.lamblion.net/Quotations/calvin.htm)

Precha1
07-10-2009, 03:52 PM
To get an idea of his daily workload you might want to read my brief writeup HERE (http://www.lamblion.net/Quotations/calvin.htm)

Thanks for sharing. As I look at the life and practices of great men used by God like John Calvin, I am challenged to be diligent in systematically reading through the Bible every year.

Unfortunately, too many Christians who say they believe the Bible from cover to cover have never read it from cover to cover. No wonder we as a church and as a nation are in the condition we are.

Adelphos
07-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Unfortunately, too many Christians who say they believe the Bible from cover to cover have never read it from cover to cover. No wonder we as a church and as a nation are in the condition we are.

I chuckle every time I hear a story like that. Before I was saved, I was certain that I KNEW what the Bible said, which was basically, "be good, go to heaven, be bad, go to hell."

When I got saved I realized how ignorant of what the Bible really says most people are.

A friend of mine who was involved in the hippie/drug culture, after he became a Christian, his cult guru was asking him about it, and when my friend asked the guru if he'd ever read the Bible, the guru replied, "Yep. Seven times."

Of course, after a moment of perusal, it became quickly apparent that he'd probably never even held a Bible, much less read it.

Everybody thinks they know what the Bible says, but the most spiritual among us realize how little of what the Bible says is truly understood by the wisest among us.