PDA

View Full Version : Last Update Erased Tab Names

Matt Harmon
07-08-2009, 02:44 PM
I just updated this morning to the latest .exe and I no longer am able to name the tabs. When I right click on a tab, here is what is in the context menu

Clear tab 1
Clear all tabs (except current)
Freeze tab 1 contents
Clear Search window history
Enable search window history

Any one else noticed this behavior?

Adelphos
07-08-2009, 03:55 PM

No, the tabs work normally for me. I have the latest update.

Matt Harmon
07-08-2009, 04:04 PM
When I reverted back to the previous exe the naming options reappeared. Strange.

Adelphos
07-08-2009, 07:03 PM
When I reverted back to the previous exe the naming options reappeared. Strange.

Sounds to me like there may be an Arminian loose in your computer! :cool:

ISalzman
07-08-2009, 08:43 PM

I have no answers to your issue, but you raised an interesting question for me. How does one roll back or, in your words, "revert" to an earlier .exe (i.e., an earlier version of the program executable)? Much obliged for your answer.

Adelphos
07-08-2009, 09:59 PM
I have no answers to your issue, but you raised an interesting question for me. How does one roll back or, in your words, "revert" to an earlier .exe (i.e., an earlier version of the program executable)? Much obliged for your answer.

Hold down the Shift key when you start BW. You will be presented a list of options.

ISalzman
07-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks xa. That's Hebrew for adelfoj.. :)

Adelphos
07-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks xa. That's Hebrew for adelfoj.. :)

I thought it was Hebrew for "brother"?

And that adelphoj was Greek for xa :rolleyes:

ISalzman
07-08-2009, 10:41 PM
I thought it was Hebrew for "brother"?

And that adelphoj was Greek for xa :rolleyes:

Yeah, something like that. :o I guess that's why I'm only a Junior Member here.:( Junior members are like the ones saved as by fire.

Matt Harmon
07-09-2009, 08:35 AM
You can also inside of BW8 click on "File" then "Checkpoints." I think BW automatically saves some checkpoints for you, but you can also create your own. Look in the Help File under "Checkpoints" and you'll find more info.

Mark Eddy
07-09-2009, 08:38 AM
How does one roll back or, in your words, "revert" to an earlier .exe (i.e., an earlier version of the program executable)?
There is another way to do this, after you have BW running. When you go to Help, BibleWorks on the Internet, Check for Updates, then click on Options and check "Show Downloaded Patches." Then you will see all the previous patches. Find the date on the .exe patch you want, and check it. Then apply the patch. This will give you an older version of BW. In case the current version causes you trouble, for the few hours before the programmers fix it (after you report the problem to them, of course), you can use the older version which worked better for you.
Mark Eddy

ISalzman
07-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Thanks for all the responses.

ccozier
07-09-2009, 09:34 AM
For what its worth, I've never had the Name Tab option show up on the right click menu. I'm running BW8 in Virtual Box (XP client). I just assumed I've got some unique gremlin running through my system.

brainout
07-13-2012, 10:09 PM
I just updated this morning to the latest .exe and I no longer am able to name the tabs. When I right click on a tab, here is what is in the context menu

Clear tab 1
Clear all tabs (except current)
Freeze tab 1 contents
Clear Search window history
Enable search window history

Mr. Harmon, I've been having trouble with my BW8 installation for the past year (?), and the kind folks at BW are helping me with it. During this time, one of the updates suddenly allowed me to name tabs, not merely the tab set. That same update resulted in a 23-second lag whenever I change Bible books with substantial LXX variants. The computer was an Acer Aspire One straight from Walmart in 2008; I use it for travel; 1GB Ram, XP Home. I think I bought BW8 late last June?

Anyway, due to the lag problem and when my main (XP Prof) computer's registry died, I decided to install my original BW CDs on my main computer after it was repaired. I was afraid of upgrading, due to the lag problem on the Acer, but after rebuilding the computer, finally I got the updates, which in my case was only one-time, to be current. But now there are no named-tab options. Just the numbers, or the option to save the entire set. Build is now BW 8.0.005s1. But on the Acer, the build is u1. I have no idea why, both were built from the same BW CD set (including all the same modules, except I added Blass).

No lag problem, on the main computer. And no named tabs, either.

MBushell
07-14-2012, 01:19 PM
Mr. Harmon, I've been having trouble with my BW8 installation for the past year (?), and the kind folks at BW are helping me with it. During this time, one of the updates suddenly allowed me to name tabs, not merely the tab set. That same update resulted in a 23-second lag whenever I change Bible books with substantial LXX variants. The computer was an Acer Aspire One straight from Walmart in 2008; I use it for travel; 1GB Ram, XP Home. I think I bought BW8 late last June?

Anyway, due to the lag problem and when my main (XP Prof) computer's registry died, I decided to install my original BW CDs on my main computer after it was repaired. I was afraid of upgrading, due to the lag problem on the Acer, but after rebuilding the computer, finally I got the updates, which in my case was only one-time, to be current. But now there are no named-tab options. Just the numbers, or the option to save the entire set. Build is now BW 8.0.005s1. But on the Acer, the build is u1. I have no idea why, both were built from the same BW CD set (including all the same modules, except I added Blass).

No lag problem, on the main computer. And no named tabs, either.

The latest BW8 build is 8.0.0020g.1. It sounds like you are running a very old version. It may be that the context menu option to name tabs was added after the release. Sometimes if an update fails the program will revert to an older version as a safety precaution. Updates can fail for a variety of reasons, including network connection problems and antivirus programs. Updater code sometimes look like a virus to antivirus programs and they antivirus software quaranteens files. Most antivirus pprograms have ways of specifying sites or programs that should be permitted. I know that updates can be scary but it is really the only way we have of fixing problems. And we can only diagnose problems for people running the latest version because they may be running into a problem that was already fixed.

brainout
07-14-2012, 08:22 PM
The latest BW8 build is 8.0.0020g.1. It sounds like you are running a very old version. It may be that the context menu option to name tabs was added after the release. Sometimes if an update fails the program will revert to an older version as a safety precaution. Updates can fail for a variety of reasons, including network connection problems and antivirus programs. Updater code sometimes look like a virus to antivirus programs and they antivirus software quaranteens files. Most antivirus pprograms have ways of specifying sites or programs that should be permitted. I know that updates can be scary but it is really the only way we have of fixing problems. And we can only diagnose problems for people running the latest version because they may be running into a problem that was already fixed.

I'm not running an old version, and I don't have any anti-virus software on either machine. I just bought BibleWorks 8 in 2011, I think it was in June. The same CDs were used for the Acer installation, as for the main machine. But I updated the Acer more than once, from 2011 until May 2012. Rolled back one of the patches, which resulted in the u1 that shows now when I select Help About BibleWorks on that machine. On this one, the same CD installation was updated only once, a few days ago, and it still shows s1. Why not also u1, I don't know.

It's not a sticking point for me, but it did replicate the issue Mr. Harmon experienced, though in a different way. I'm so happy I can save a whole SET of tabs with a single name, I don't care about naming the individual tabs. But I can't name them, on the main machine. Can still name them singly or as a set, in the Acer. The latter is on XP Home, not Professional. That's the only difference, other than date of installation from the same CDs.

What I'm trying to say is that the updates didn't function the same way. I'm now fully updated using the same initial CDs, yet the revision number is lower than it is on the Acer. I don't know why that is true. So it's not a problem of not updating. It's a problem of the same updating from the same CDs, not yielding the same results. Don't get me wrong, I'm in love with BibleWorks and always will be.

MBushell
07-16-2012, 10:53 AM
I'm not running an old version, and I don't have any anti-virus software on either machine. I just bought BibleWorks 8 in 2011, I think it was in June. The same CDs were used for the Acer installation, as for the main machine. But I updated the Acer more than once, from 2011 until May 2012. Rolled back one of the patches, which resulted in the u1 that shows now when I select Help About BibleWorks on that machine. On this one, the same CD installation was updated only once, a few days ago, and it still shows s1. Why not also u1, I don't know.

It's not a sticking point for me, but it did replicate the issue Mr. Harmon experienced, though in a different way. I'm so happy I can save a whole SET of tabs with a single name, I don't care about naming the individual tabs. But I can't name them, on the main machine. Can still name them singly or as a set, in the Acer. The latter is on XP Home, not Professional. That's the only difference, other than date of installation from the same CDs.

What I'm trying to say is that the updates didn't function the same way. I'm now fully updated using the same initial CDs, yet the revision number is lower than it is on the Acer. I don't know why that is true. So it's not a problem of not updating. It's a problem of the same updating from the same CDs, not yielding the same results. Don't get me wrong, I'm in love with BibleWorks and always will be.

Brainout,

Not to belabor this point any more, if the ABout box in your BW program does not say 8.0.0020a, you are not running the current version and that is the reason you do not see the tab name change option. It doesn't matter when you purchased the CDs or when you did the update. The CDs by necessity have old versions of some files. They are produced in large quantities and the executable changes a lot over time as bugs are fixed and new features are added. If you ran the updater and still have an older version number, the updater failed - see my previous message.

Call tech support and they will help you get the updater working.

Mike

brainout
07-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Brainout,

Not to belabor this point any more, if the ABout box in your BW program does not say 8.0.0020a, you are not running the current version and that is the reason you do not see the tab name change option. It doesn't matter when you purchased the CDs or when you did the update. The CDs by necessity have old versions of some files. They are produced in large quantities and the executable changes a lot over time as bugs are fixed and new features are added. If you ran the updater and still have an older version number, the updater failed - see my previous message.

Call tech support and they will help you get the updater working.

Mike

Thank you Michael. That's what I wondered about. And I've already updated as much as the system will allow. In short, when I keep going for updates, I don't get anymore. So yeah something's amiss, I'll write in for support on it. Thank you!

brainout
07-25-2012, 12:30 AM
FYI, Mark helped me to see how the Updater works. Basically, there were so many updates, that I didn't scroll down enough to select all the relevant ones. So now I'm updated fully. Results? My Acer netbook still hangs when switching to OT English text with substantial LXX variants, if I'm in the multi-browse window at the time, since my multi-browse window includes the LXX and its variants. If I'm in a translation in plain browse mode (only one version showing), this hang doesn't occur. The delay in multi-browse mode with a Favorite containing the LXX, is about 23 seconds, to switch say from any OT book to Daniel. The delay is shorter for a switch to Ezekiel or Esther (both books have substantial variants).

My Dell 8400 doesn't hang. It has 1.5 GB RAMM, versus the 1 GB of the Acer. So I've switched which of my computers I'll use for version 8, to the Dell. The Acer is for travel, anyway. Both now display the facility to name tabs. I have no idea why one model goes into a hang, versus the other, but this differential proves it's something related to the machine's compatibility, not the software. Whew.

MBushell
07-25-2012, 01:17 PM
FYI, Mark helped me to see how the Updater works. Basically, there were so many updates, that I didn't scroll down enough to select all the relevant ones. So now I'm updated fully. Results? My Acer netbook still hangs when switching to OT English text with substantial LXX variants, if I'm in the multi-browse window at the time, since my multi-browse window includes the LXX and its variants. If I'm in a translation in plain browse mode (only one version showing), this hang doesn't occur. The delay in multi-browse mode with a Favorite containing the LXX, is about 23 seconds, to switch say from any OT book to Daniel. The delay is shorter for a switch to Ezekiel or Esther (both books have substantial variants).

My Dell 8400 doesn't hang. It has 1.5 GB RAMM, versus the 1 GB of the Acer. So I've switched which of my computers I'll use for version 8, to the Dell. The Acer is for travel, anyway. Both now display the facility to name tabs. I have no idea why one model goes into a hang, versus the other, but this differential proves it's something related to the machine's compatibility, not the software. Whew.

Have you ever defragmented the drive that is slow? Have you tried increasing the size of your swap file?

brainout
07-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Have you ever defragmented the drive that is slow? Have you tried increasing the size of your swap file?

Mike, it's not a swap file problem and I use defrag regularly on all my computers. The hang only occurs with respect to books with substantial LXX variants, and only in multi-browse mode, as described above. So it is not a problem in the computer, so much as an incompatibility between the computer and the software in this singular respect. If I had to guess, I'd guess that it has something to do with the fonts. But it doesn't matter now.