PDA

View Full Version : Highlighting Hebrew apart from Plus symbol

Bennett B. Wethered
08-02-2004, 05:57 PM
*****I am trying to use helpful highlighting info, gleaned from my BW seminar w/Joe Fleener some weeks ago, in the Hebrew as I have in the Greek.
*****In the Greek, I would tag various word forms, such that words of particular types (conjunction, verb) or case (nominative, genitive) would show up in a particular color or highlight, such as evn avpokalu,yei VIhsou/ Cristou/
In this case, orange is conjunction, dative, purple, and genitive pink.
*****When I have tried to do this (to a lesser degree) in the Hebrew, I have been less successful. Not because such word forms don't exist, but when I choose .*@Pc* in the WTM, it pulls up ar"q.YIw , the particle conjunction and () the verb following. I didn't ask for anything but the particle conjunction. How do I command BW so that it will ignore the ? Thanks, brothers.

Bennett B. Wethered
08-02-2004, 05:58 PM
When I composed the message above, there was color highlighting; trust me. I guess Jelsoft took it out.....

Ewan MacLeod
08-03-2004, 04:55 AM
When I have tried to do this (to a lesser degree) in the Hebrew, I have been less successful. Not because such word forms don't exist, but when I choose .*@Pc* in the WTM, it pulls up ar"q.YIw , the particle conjunction and () the verb following. I didn't ask for anything but the particle conjunction. How do I command BW so that it will ignore the ? Thanks, brothers.

This is not really possible in Hebrew as it is for Greek, because in Hebrew the conjunction ("and") does not stand alone, but is attached (as the letter vav) to the next word. Because Test Highlighting highlights the whole word, you can't highlight just the letter vav. Similarly, "in a/the" (letter bet) is also attached to the word, so you can't separately highlight that. However, it will be possible for other prepositions such as under (tachat), on (al), above (me-al), etc, but here there could well be suffixes and prefixes. For example, "under him" would be one "word", rather than two words as for English.

Regards,

Ewan