PDA

View Full Version : search for non-Qal verbs?

jdarlack
07-01-2009, 01:31 PM
The professors at GCTS often test students in Hebrew exegesis/grammar courses by requiring the students to parse all non-Qal verbs.

I've been asked a few times how to run a search in BibleWorks for all non-Qal verbs so that the student can highlight the pertinent words.

One way of doing it would be this:

.*@v[punhotsrvwxabcdefgiyklm]*

The letters in between the left and right brackets represent an "or" search of all stems but the Qal.

A student was able to achieve the same search by using the Graphical Search Engine and using an "exclusion" list to exclude any Qal verbs.

I thought that there would be a third way:

I tried the following search (with my search limited only to the Book of Jonah):

(*@v*).!(*@vq*)

The first set a parentheses would look for all verbs. The second set of parentheses would then search for all Qal verbs, but the exclamation point set in between the two sets of parenthesis would "negate" the second set. Unfortunately, this does not work. When I perform the search given above, I only get 1 hit.

Now that I think of it, I understand why... The search above looks for VERSES not words. It looks for verses that have verbs and then negates all verses that have Qal verbs.

So, here's the question. Is there a way to negate on a word by word level. So that one could do something like this:

.*@v!q*

I know that this search does not work, but I was wondering if there's anything that might work like this.

MBushell
07-01-2009, 06:56 PM
The professors at GCTS often test students in Hebrew exegesis/grammar courses by requiring the students to parse all non-Qal verbs.

I've been asked a few times how to run a search in BibleWorks for all non-Qal verbs so that the student can highlight the pertinent words.

One way of doing it would be this:

So, here's the question. Is there a way to negate on a word by word level. So that one could do something like this:

.*@v!q*

I know that this search does not work, but I was wondering if there's anything that might work like this.

Jim,

Instead of

you could use

.*@v[^q]*

Mike

jdarlack
07-02-2009, 12:39 PM
.*@v[^q]*Wow!

13841 verses, 9676 forms, 22560 hits, and 4.53 seconds later, I have done a search on all non-Qal verbs in the entire Old Testament and highlighted them for future reference.

Is the [^x] function documented in the help files anywhere? I don't think I've ever come across that!

jdarlack
07-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Ok, so I just tried a similar search in Greek (BGM):

.*@v[^i]*

Given the way the ^ worked in the WTM, I would assume that this search should find all non-indicative verbs (and achieve the same results as .*@v[sodnp]*). It does not work, however.

Does the caret (^) apply to searches outside of the WTM?

MBushell
07-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Ok, so I just tried a similar search in Greek (BGM):

.*@v[^i]*

Given the way the ^ worked in the WTM, I would assume that this search should find all non-indicative verbs (and achieve the same results as .*@v[sodnp]*). It does not work, however.

Does the caret (^) apply to searches outside of the WTM?
Jim, try grabbing 8.0.011j. It was broken by work on other mysterious undocumented features to be released in the Fall. But it should be ok now. Another lightly documented features is that you can use curly braces as well as square brackets. They are necessary in some cases in Hebrew to avoid confusion with the ayin which is on the left square bracker key. If you ever have trouble with square brackets try the curlies.
Mike

Glenn Weaver
07-02-2009, 01:53 PM
The undocumented use of the ^ is a character negation when used with the two brackets [ and ]. This is part of the use of regular expressions on the Command Line. By placing a [ followed by a ^ followed by a morph code and then followed the closing ], you are telling BibleWorks to find everything in that character slot except the character listed.

In the example for the BGM, .*@v[^i]*, this means that all tags for the mood are valid except for indicative.

In other words, you can use regular expressions within brackets [ and ] in morphological tags on the Command Line. This is an undocumented feature, and could have undocumented limitations. :-) (I just found out about it today, so I haven't had a lot of time to test it. But it does work in the WTM and BGM.)

Precha1
07-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Jdarlack,

Thanks for posting your questions. It has served to really open my eyes to the power and sophistication of BW 8.

MBushell and Glenn Weaver,

Thanks for your prompt responses. Camping out at the forums and been worth their weight in gold. May God richly bless you.

SCSaunders
07-03-2009, 11:21 AM
jdarlack,

thanks for posting your questions. It has served to really open my eyes to the power and sophistication of bw 8.

Mbushell and glenn weaver,

thanks for your prompt responses. Camping out at the forums and been worth their weight in gold. May god richly bless you.+1! 23456789