PDA

View Full Version : Request for Change in the "Browse Tab"

Matt Harmon
06-30-2009, 10:50 AM
I think the addition of the browse tab in the Resource Window is a very handy addition in BW8. I would like to suggest a slight change in the way it functions. As it stands now, the version being displayed in the Browse Tab is not tied to the Tab from the Search Window. In other words, if I am working the New Testament in Tab 1 I might have the Browse Tab set to ESV to see the larger context. But when I switch over to Tab 7 where I have it set up to work in Philo, when I click on the Browse Tab the version is still ESV, which causes BW8 to make a "beep" (though not a crash). So I then need to manually change the Browse Tab version to PHE. But when I go back to Tab 1 to work in the NT again, I have to manually change it back to ESV. All of this to say, I would love to see the Browse Tab version be tied to the Tab from the Search Window.

On a related note, I have noticed something else. I frequently do searches in Tab 1 (BGM) using the Cross Version Search Mode and get the table that summarizes the results. I then like to click to a new tab and then click on the results for a different database (e.g., PHM) to work with them in that new tab. Then I like to click on the browse tab in Resource Window to have the larger passage in view in English while I work in the Greek text of Philo. But if the version in the Browse Tab is a non-Philo version (such as ESV). I get the "beep" that I mentioned above. So I then change the Browse tab version to "PHE". I then click on one of the verses listed in the Search Window, and my Results Window (central pane) switches from multi-verse mode to browse mode. I then have to click on the button to switch back to multi-verse mode. This seems like a glitch to me.

Hope that makes sense. Anyone else seen similar behavior?

Glenn Weaver
07-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Hi Matt,

In the Browse Tab, click the Browse Tab Options button. Select "Synch Browser on Verse Change" and "Tab Version Set Manually For Each Main Browser Version".

With these two items set, when you switch Search Window tabs and have a different search version for that Search Window tab, the Browse Tab will follow the search version. So, when if you have NAS as your search version in tab 1, the Browse Tab will display NAS. When you switch to tab 2 and have PHE, the Browse Tab will display PHE.

The "Tab Version Set Manually For Each Main Browser Version" setting enables you to set manually the version you want to display. So, if you want to have PHE in the Browse Window, but want the PHI to display in the Browse Tab, change the Browse Tab version to PHI, and BibleWorks will remember that setting. So, the next time you have PHE as your search version in a Search Window tab, the Browse Tab will display PHI.

Matt Harmon
07-01-2009, 11:01 AM
I think this gets it where I want it. I'll play around with it to be sure. Thanks for your help.

Matt