PDA

View Full Version : Searching proper names

Peter
06-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Dear Friends,

how can I search just for proper names used in the New Testament (Bym/Bnm) ?

Thank you !
Peter

bobvenem
06-29-2009, 07:36 PM
This can be done through the GSE by selecting "case sensitive" when searching for a name (one of the check boxes in the upper right corner when you are setting the properties of a word box in the GSE).

MBushell
06-29-2009, 10:27 PM
how can I search just for proper names used in the New Testament (Bym/Bnm) ?

Also some of the morphological versions have an extra noun tag for proper names. For example in BGM *@*n???p will find all proper nouns.
Mike

Peter
06-30-2009, 02:16 PM
Thank you a lot, friends ! I got my results. But it just works with BNM, BYM has obviously not a code for proper names.

Peter, Germany
www.streitenberger.com (http://www.streitenberger.com)

Glenn Weaver
07-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Hi Peter,

You can use the Louw-Nida lexicon's semantic domains as a search tool on the Command Line with any morphologically-tagged Greek text (including the BYM) to find such things as people.

To use the Louw-Nida domains on the Command Line, do the following:

--First, and most importantly, run the BW updater to get BW8 update version number 11i or later. There was a bug in some earlier versions of BW8 that keep this search from running in those versions. (To run the updater, select Help on the main BW menu, then select BibleWorks on the Internet | Check for updates.)
--Set your search version to BYM (or other morph-tagged Greek text)
--right-click on the Command Line
--in the context menu that appears, select "Insert Louw-Nida domain code"
--In the L-N window that appears, scroll down the list until you find domain "93 Names of Persons and Places". Click on the box to the left of the domain name to show the subdomains. Select subdomain "A Persons".
--Click the "Insert" button to add the code to the Command Line. Close the L-N window.
--Click inside the Command Line, and run the search by pressing Enter on your keyboard. You have just performed a search on all the persons identified in the Louw-Nida domain for persons.

This same search will work for the LXX, Philo, Josephus, etc., though you should keep in mind that only words from the NT are included in the Louw-Nida domain.

Adelphos
07-01-2009, 12:50 PM
This same search will work for the LXX, Philo, Josephus, etc., though you should keep in mind that only words from the NT are included in the Louw-Nida domain.

WOW! That is awesome. The things BW can do, and that I don't know about, must certainly be legion. Thanks for the lesson, Glenn.

Gilbert Salinas
07-01-2009, 01:08 PM
WOW! That is awesome. The things BW can do, and that I don't know about, must certainly be legion. Thanks for the lesson, Glenn.

Thanks Glenn for THIS INFORMATION!!!!!!!

If THERE IS ANY MORE????? PLEASE POST!!!!!!! :D

Gilbert

Peter
07-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Thank you, Glenn ! A very intelligent way to search for proper names !
Peter

Precha1
07-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks Glenn for THIS INFORMATION!!!!!!!

If THERE IS ANY MORE????? PLEASE POST!!!!!!! :D

Gilbert

I agree wholeheartedly. I am more amazed with each passing day just what BW8 is able to do. WOW.

Glenn Weaver
07-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Now that you know how to insert L-N domains on the Command Line, you can do even more with the L-N domains.

In morph-tagged versions you can specify certain morph tags to search for specify items. For example, you can search for *@v* to find all verbs. And you can search for *@vi* to find all indicative verbs.

The L-N domains (and the similar Insert Word List feature on the Command Line) are treated as words. So, since you are using a Greek morph version, you can add morph codes to the end of the L-N domains on the Command Line.

For example, if you want to find all the dative nouns for the words in domain 93.1-388 Persons, follow the steps you used previously to insert the L-N domain into the Command Line. Then add the @ followed by the morph codes. For example, this search for all the dative nouns in the group would like .<93.1-388>@nd*

This type of search is useful if you want to search on only the verbs in a particular domain, or only the nouns.

Since the codes are treated like words, you can include more than one domain in a single search on the Command Line. For example, this search finds all the person and all the birds listed in the corresponding L-N domains: .<93.1-388> <4.38-46> Be sure to add the space between the domain codes, just like you would between two words.

Adelphos
07-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Now that you know how to insert L-N domains on the Command Line, you can do even more with the L-N domains.

These really are helpful tips. Learning about this feature has opened up a whole new domain ( :rolleyes: ) in my facility with BW.

Gilbert Salinas
07-03-2009, 02:23 PM
These really are helpful tips. Learning about this feature has opened up a whole new domain ( :rolleyes: ) in my facility with BW.

This is VERY USEFUL!!!!!

Thanks for ALL THE EXTRA INFORMATION!!!!!

IS THERE ANY MORE??????????? :D

Gilbert

Gilbert Salinas
07-03-2009, 02:37 PM

In morph-tagged versions you can specify certain morph tags to search for specify items. For example, you can search for *@v* to find all verbs. And you can search for *@vi* to find all indicative verbs.

The L-N domains (and the similar Insert Word List feature on the Command Line) are treated as words. So, since you are using a Greek morph version, you can add morph codes to the end of the L-N domains on the Command Line.

For example, if you want to find all the dative nouns for the words in domain 93.1-388 Persons, follow the steps you used previously to insert the L-N domain into the Command Line. Then add the @ followed by the morph codes. For example, this search for all the dative nouns in the group would like .<93.1-388>@nd*

This type of search is useful if you want to search on only the verbs in a particular domain, or only the nouns.

Since the codes are treated like words, you can include more than one domain in a single search on the Command Line. For example, this search finds all the person and all the birds listed in the corresponding L-N domains: .<93.1-388> <4.38-46> Be sure to add the space between the domain codes, just like you would between two words.

Glenn,

I get INVALID SEARCH EXPRESSION with ".<93.1-388> <4.38-46>".

I'm using .011.k1

Gilbert :confused: