PDA

View Full Version : Peshitta NT in Old Aramaic

Y2K2
07-31-2004, 03:58 PM
Shalom,
Does anyone know of an electronic (computerized?) version of the Peshitta New Testament written in the Old Aramaic script? The Peshitta NT in Bible Works 6 is of the Estrangelo script (I think) and since there is no morphological text for it the grammatical information isn't there to help a beginner to Aramaic such as myself.To date I have not been able to find a grammar or lexicon of the Estrangelo. There is a very good lexicon of the Old Aramaic but it is written in Aramaic/Aramaic.

Joe Fleener
07-31-2004, 04:34 PM
BibleWorks also contains the PEH:

"PEH - Peshitta (Aramaic New Testament) (with Hebrew characters - see PES) The text of the Aramaic is taken from The Syriac New Testament and Psalms, published by United Bible Societies, specifically the Bible Society in Turkey."

However, there is still no morphological help there either, yet.

Y2K2
07-31-2004, 04:49 PM
Thanks for your helpful reply. I had noticed the Peshitta using Hebrew script in BW 6 but was a little weary of the translation (only because I want to get to the original texts,hence my purchase & use of BW 6). I had no idea of the source of PEH and really appreciate your telling me. I am hoping that Bible Works will continue to expand in its Aramaic resources.

Joe Fleener
07-31-2004, 04:56 PM
Just as an FYI, if you ever want to know the source information for a vesion.

Select it as a display version and the move your coursor over the three letter abreviation for the version. The source info will display in the Auto Info Window.

Y2K2
07-31-2004, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the information. I am watching the learning demo's a little each day now to let the instructional information sink in. I find technical instructions take a while to remember. Soon I will begin with the manual. By the way, how does a forum member go from new to junior to senior?

Joe Fleener
07-31-2004, 05:09 PM
See Michael Tan's post on this:

http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=684&postcount=3

Joe Fleener
07-31-2004, 05:10 PM
I am watching the learning demo's a little each day...

Soon I will begin with the manual.
That is an excellent plan. You will find your time invested well worth it.

God Bless,

bkMitchell
11-17-2010, 10:55 PM
Shalom,
Does anyone know of an electronic (computerized?) version of the Peshitta New Testament written in the Old Aramaic script?

I know, I know, I am guilty of resurrecting an old thread.
But, just in case anyone else is reading this thread they may be happy to learn that: BibleWorks ,now, has numerous Peshitta resources!

In BIBLE WORKS 8 :

F1905 British and Foreign Bible Society Peshitto edition
The Aramaic New Testament (Peshitta), (1)with the Etheridge 1849, (2)Lewis 1896, Murdock 1851, (3) Norton (1881), and (4) Magiera 2005 English translation
Old Syriac Sinaiticus manuscript
Old Syriac Curetonian manuscript
Peshitta, with Syriac and Hebrew letters

ADD ON MODULE(Link) (http://store.bibleworks.com/APNT.html):
The APNT

APNT - Aramaic Peshitta New Testament Database,
Copyright 2005 by Janet M. Magiera.

This database consists of unique translation work from Light of the Word Ministry, including:

1. The PEM version. PEM is a morphological version matching the Peshitta Aramaic version PES that ships with the BibleWorks 7 or later package.

2. Notes and lexical information for each word in the Peshitta (PES) and PEM, accessible by mouse cursor in the Browse Window and displayed in the Analysis Window as usual.

3. Glosses, for the Peshitta text, that appear in a popup window when the mouse cursor is placed over a word in the PES or PEM version.

Note: the latest BibleWorks 7 downloads and all later BibleWorks versions now provide a free Peshitta bundle which contains the Etheridge, Lewis, Murdock, and Norton English Translations of the Peshitta. It also contains the brand new MGI English translation of the Peshitta, done by Janet Magiera, the companion text for the PEM morphological database. This free bundle is required for the proper functioning of the APNT module.