PDA

View Full Version : Can BW 8.0 do this?

dbielby
06-22-2009, 08:42 PM
I would like to do a proximity search across a variety of Greek Morphological databases to find appearances of any form of agape and teleios or related words. So for example, I am looking for verses like 1 Corinthians 13:10 where the word "teleios" appears within three verses of "agape". I would like to search on the lemma forms of these words so that various forms show up irregardless of case, etc... Is it possible to do this in BW8.0? Is there a tutorial on these sort of searches or does someone know how to do this and would be able to share with me how to do this?

My reason for this search is that I am finding very little in my commentaries on 1 Corinthians that explore ancient extra-biblical use of the term "teleios" especially in relationship to "agape". I am excited that BW 8.0 has so many exciting databases built into it now, (like Philo, Josephus, Apostolic Fathers, etc....) and the potential implications for being able to enhance what I find in commentaries with relevant ancient illustrations or stories that might find their way into sermons or just into my own paradigm of understanding for a word or group of words.

Anyhow, I appreciate any assistance on this sort of effort to study.

Thank you so much!

Michael Hanel
06-22-2009, 10:09 PM
Step one is always to ask yourself whether you know how to do what your searching for in one set of texts. Step two is simply to apply the search across all versions.

Step one.
So I imagine your search must be something like this:
CL (BGM is search version): .teleios agape
that would find verses containing both those words in any form. If you have not applied any of the cross version searches, that will only search BGM.

Step two.
If you want to search all Greek morphological versions, one way to do this is under Search: Cross Version Search Mode: Search and Display all same language versions. Running the same search will now search across all Greek morphologies.

Now if you're looking for proximity search, maybe you'd want to try something like the following
CL (BGM is search version): .teleios agape;5
that would find all verses with teleios and agape in any form within 5 verses of each other.

dbielby
06-22-2009, 10:17 PM
I really appreciate the elegant solution!!! Thank you!

dbielby
06-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Ok. so when I run a search like that I get about five different Greek NT versions. I just want NA27 or BGT. I don't care about the other ones like Stephanos, etc...and I'm not picking up Josephus. I would also love to have an English text appear next to the Greek, but I don't have one version that corresponds to every Greek text. For example I love the ESV for the OT/NT but cannot get that for Josephus, Philo, or the other extra-biblical texts. So maybe I need to take a more sophisticated approach? What do you think?

Michael Hanel
06-22-2009, 11:16 PM
Ok. so when I run a search like that I get about five different Greek NT versions. I just want NA27 or BGT. I don't care about the other ones like Stephanos, etc...and I'm not picking up Josephus. I would also love to have an English text appear next to the Greek, but I don't have one version that corresponds to every Greek text. For example I love the ESV for the OT/NT but cannot get that for Josephus, Philo, or the other extra-biblical texts. So maybe I need to take a more sophisticated approach? What do you think?

Did you understand how to set up tabs that was mentioned in a previous thread? That would probably be the most efficient solution.