PDA

View Full Version : Verse List Organizer Discussion

Greg Ward
06-18-2009, 08:44 AM
At the author's request, the discussion regarding Scott Jone's Verse List Organizer was to be in the non-BibleWorks forum. For the original announcement see: http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3914

Greg Ward
06-18-2009, 08:59 AM
I having configuration problems-no ini file.
--There is no vlo_ini.ini file that I see in my Windows directory.
--In VLO, Configure/Find ASE file I get the error "Unable To Read VLS INI File"
--In VLO, Configure/Set VLV Folder I get the error "Unable To Read VLO INI File"

Perhaps an antivirus or Vista issue, but any ideas how to get around this.

I even tried to use Notepad to create an empty vlo_ini.ini file in the Windows directory. When I go to save it, the error says contact an administrator. So I saved it to a different directory and copied the file to Windows. Still the same errors in VLO. Any ideas?

doc_dave
06-18-2009, 09:20 AM
This looks impressive, Scott. I think I'll just have to start using the VLM so I can use the VLO! :D There's always more to learn in BWks!

One question though: is there a BWks minimum version requirement? I'm running BW7, not 8. (I already have .NET 3.5 ;).) Hopefully nothing changed between versions ...

(Maybe you could add this info beside the link at the top of your first post in the original thread? It could be a "FAQ"!)

Thanks!
David.

Adelphos
06-18-2009, 09:42 AM
... Perhaps an antivirus or Vista issue, but any ideas how to get around this.

I wouldn't think it's an antivirus issue. It's possible, I suppose.

If there IS "vlo_ini.ini" file in your Windows folder, try deleting it. If there is not, this is the very first thing VLO creates when it starts for the first time.

Are you sure you are actually selecting the apppropriate folders by navigating to them and then clicking on the "Okay" button?

Adelphos
06-18-2009, 09:46 AM
One question though: is there a BWks minimum version requirement? I'm running BW7, not 8. (I already have .NET 3.5 ;).) Hopefully nothing changed between versions ...

David,

You are correct, I should have stated the BW platforms. The problem is, I don't know what they might be, as I have only tested VLO on BW8. :)

It should work without any problems on BW7, perhaps even BW6, except for the ParaText feature, which means you won't be able to double-click on verses in VLO and have them directed to BW because the ParaText feature is not in the earilier BW versions.

Adelphos
06-18-2009, 09:56 AM
When I go to save it, the error says contact an administrator. So I saved it to a different directory and copied the file to Windows. Still the same errors in VLO. Any ideas?

Greg

It sounds like you might be having a problem with your administrator privileges. Also, when you installed, did you check the button for "everyone" or the button "just me" in the installation module?

You can go to control panel and uninstall Verse List Organizer, then do a clean install. You do NOT have to reboot your computer. Just uninstall and reinstall and make sure the "everybody" button is checked in the install screen.

Adelphos
06-18-2009, 08:18 PM
--There is no vlo_ini.ini file that I see in my Windows directory.

Also, Greg, if you have a corrupt .VLO file in your specified VLO folder, you will get this message. You need to delete your .VLO file if reconfiguring doesn't solve it. I'm working on changing this so VLO will skp to the next file if you have a corrupt .VLO file, but for now the solution is to delete your .VLO file. You also should not edit these files outside of VLO.

Greg Ward
06-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Scott,
Thanks for your replies. So far VLO has been unable to create an ini file. Probably a Vista permissions thing. I'll keep poking around.

(Is there a way to put the ini file in the program's directory similar to BW? If I remember there are several people who carry the whole BW program around on their USB Drive.)

Thanks,
Greg

Adelphos
06-19-2009, 10:23 AM
(Is there a way to put the ini file in the program's directory similar to BW? If I remember there are several people who carry the whole BW program around on their USB Drive.)

Greg,

I think you need to run as an admin... I don't have Vista, I have XP, but I know Mike has run it on several of his Vista computers without any problem.

Yes, I will be making a change so that the INI file can be placed in the same folder as VLO itself. Right now I'm trying to make everything as stable as possible and to implement some better error handling.

Also, I have just spent the last four hours converting the entire project over to multibyte instead of Unicode (same as BW), so there won't be any potential conversion problems down the road. This will also make for some future increased functionality. That doesn't mean VLO won't recognize Unicode; it will, but the whole project fares better under multibyte.

You should not try to create an INI file on your own. VLO will run without the INI file.

Unlike most programs, however, VLO opens and reads TWO different files on startup, i.e., the first VLS file in your ASE folder and the first VLO file in your VLO folder. Most programs, as you know, don't open any files on startup.

So I've got to get in there and make this bulletproof. The trouble you are having is NOT the fact that there is no INI file. I don't know why you're not allowed to create it, but that is the very FIRST thing VLO does when it starts, assuming there is no INI file to begin with. If there is an INI file, it reads it. If it can't read the INI file, program execution continues anyway.

So your problem, in addition to privilege issues, could be with a corrupt VLS file or a corrupt VLO file.

You might try renaming the first VLS file to a different extension, for example, "myfile.vvv" instead of "myfile.vls" and do the same thing if you have a VLO file created.

Also, instead of reinstalling, grab the "vlo_exe_only.zip" from my download site and just try to run that. Be sure and unzip it and overwrite your current VLO.EXE.

Greg Ward
06-19-2009, 10:45 AM
Scott,
Thanks for sharing the program. I was able to get the program to run and create the ini(s) by changing the vlo.exe properties to run it as an administrator in Vista.

My help file now just has the index but no pages--probably again Vista priviledges.

MGVH
06-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Thanks to Adelphos for sharing the VLO with everyone. I've been playing around with it, and it is a nice way to organize and annotate verse lists I've constructed.
A couple things:
When you install the program, you may not have noticed that 2 desktop icons were created. (Ie, when you have such a crowded and messy desktop...) The one simply appears to be just the icon graphic, the other is the program shortcut. You may wish to drag this into your Start menus flyouts. (I created a Bible Tools folder and put it in there.)

Another option is to create a link to the VLO within BW.
You can do so either using ERMIE or by editing external links so that it is available upon right click in the Browse window. In both cases, simply point to the VLO.exe file. In the case of creating an external link, simply use NULL for most of the options (except use Browse Window All for menu location.)

MGVH
06-19-2009, 05:27 PM
One thing it does not appear you can do in VLO is combine a couple of verse lists into a master verse list. Is this accurate, Adelphos? I can work around it by merging multiple lists in the VLM in BW and then opening that list in VLO. It's certainly not a necessary feature for the VLO, but it seems like a way of organizing.
Thanks again.

Adelphos
06-19-2009, 05:44 PM
One thing it does not appear you can do in VLO is combine a couple of verse lists into a master verse list. Is this accurate, Adelphos? I can work around it by merging multiple lists in the VLM in BW and then opening that list in VLO. It's certainly not a necessary feature for the VLO, but it seems like a way of organizing.
Thanks again.

Thanks for the help, Mark. You are correct, although that is something I thought about when I was very first desiging VLO. I hope to implement that, or something very similar to it, in the future. It wasn't a priority because it's something that you can do within VLM, and I didn't want to duplicate VLM too much at the start.

Sorry about the double-icons. I will fix this in the near future.

Right now, I've gone over the entire project because I converted it to Multi-Byte, which is much more efficient, and now everything that I can possibly think of is working as it should.

Grab the latest EXE ("vlo_exe_only.zip").

Henceforth, your INI file will be stored in your VLO folder, typically "c:\program files\Verse List Organizer\", so you will have to reconfigure.

Mark, I actually have thought about being able to combine both VLS and VLO files into master categories. As I understand your request, you simply want to merge verses from several VLS files into one VLS file? I can do that pretty easily. I will probably add the capability to delete verses as well. While this will duplicate a VLM capability, it will nevertheless save time from switching back and forth between apps.

Please grab the latest EXE, as it covers a few things I missed in the conversion this morning.

EDIT: Icons fixed.

Adelphos
06-20-2009, 01:39 PM

This capability has now been added. See the VLO Update thread in this section for details.