PDA

View Full Version : cannot select text for copying

acheung
06-16-2009, 12:21 AM
BW8 used to work without a glitch until I have some recent updates. Today, I could not select any text from either the verse window or analysis window for copying. I tried to select a word or a block of text by holding and dragging the mouse across it, as I usually did. But the text selected was highlighted briefly and then the cursor stopped at the end of the text, and nothing became highlighted/selected. As a result, I could not copy it to the clipboard. (I was able to right click in the analysis to select "copy analysis text to the window", but that is of limited help).

I reverted back to an earlier version in April and restarted the computer, but the problem remains.

Does anyone have the same problem? Any solution?

Thanks

Greg Ward
06-16-2009, 08:13 AM
A week or two ago there were some improvements made to how multiple verses could be input in the Popup Copy Dialog (Ctrl+Shift+B) window. BW has continued to try to work out the bugs that overflowed from that. Please post what version update you are using and what steps you are taking to copy--there are a number of ways to copy out of BW. Then we can try to reproduce it.

ugotdave
06-16-2009, 08:15 AM
That almost sounds like a system wide permission issue. Try to "copy" & "paste" in another program outside of BW and see if you experience the same issue.

David M

acheung
06-16-2009, 10:44 PM
A week or two ago there were some improvements made to how multiple verses could be input in the Popup Copy Dialog (Ctrl+Shift+B) window. BW has continued to try to work out the bugs that overflowed from that. Please post what version update you are using and what steps you are taking to copy--there are a number of ways to copy out of BW. Then we can try to reproduce it.

That almost sounds like a system wide permission issue. Try to "copy" & "paste" in another program outside of BW and see if you experience the same issue.

David M

copy and paste works for everything else in my computer. The problem of BW is not copy and paste per se; it is the inability to select text for copying in the verse display window and the analysis window. I tried to select a word or a block of text by holding and dragging the mouse across it, as I usually did. But the text selected was highlighted briefly and then the cursor stopped at the end of the text, the highlighting disappeared and nothing became selected. As a result, I could not copy it to the clipboard.
Strangely, I can select text and do copy and paste without any problem in the daily light window, and also in the command line box.

I tried to restore to earlier points and even did a fresh reinstall of BW, as well as system restore, and changed to a new mouse, etc. But the problem remains. Everything else in BW is working fine.

Eventually, I did find a work around. If I drag my mouse over a block of text holding down the left key (i.e. the normal way of selecting text) and, instead of releasing it, I also click the right mouse key, and then release both keys, the text will be selected and I can then do the copy and paste. (I lose the automatic pasting of the text to WORD though, and have to do a full copy and paste).

ugotdave
06-16-2009, 11:07 PM
Wow, that is crazy! This is definitely NOT a permission issue, I hope Greg is correct and BW will fix the issue soon as they always seem to do.

David M

Mark Eddy
06-16-2009, 11:52 PM
I am having no problem highlighting text and copying it. I am using the latest update. Perhaps you have a unique setting in your BW800.ini file. If you contact Support and send them your BW800.ini file, they might be able to determine where the problem lies.

Mark Eddy

MBushell
06-17-2009, 12:16 AM
As far as I know there have been no other reports of problems like this. I don't think anything has changed in the last couple of monthst that could be related. One thing you can try is going to Setup | Flags | Export Options and turn off the "Enable Browse Window deag and drop" flag. When you highlight text and then click on the highlighted text, the text is placed in a buffer and control is turned over to WIndows until you release the mouse. This systemwide drag and drop feature can be buggy on some versions of window but it is a WIndows issue not a BW issue. Changing the flag will tell you if that is a n issue. Other than this I would suggest contacting tech support. They will be more aware of whether or not this issue has appeared before.

Mike