PDA

View Full Version : Is the LXX tagged with Hebrew

ugotdave
06-15-2009, 09:46 PM
I want to search the LXX for words and compare them to Hebrew, but I am finding it a challenge to determine the correct Hebrew word that the Greek correlates with when doing my search.

Basically, I want the LXX word to be highlighted as well as the Hebrew word so I can do comparison queries. Some times the word in the LXX is far different from the word in Hebrew and it makes it hard to determine what the Hebrew counterpart is.

Is the LXX tagged with any of the Hebrew bible versions? If it is, I can't any...

I am using BW 8.

Thanks,

David M

Michael Hanel
06-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Do you know anything about the Tov-Polak system? Go under Resources and hit up Parallel Hebrew -LXX. That is the closest you will get. Read the help section (just hit F1 once you've opened it and you have the mouse on the window) to learn a bit more about it.

ugotdave
06-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Hummm, seems highly over analytical for what I am trying to do.

Oh well, I put my suggestion in the "wish list" for BW and in the mean time I will read over the documentation on Tov-Polak.

Thanks Michael

Michael Hanel
06-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Hummm, seems highly over analytical for what I am trying to do.

Oh well, I put my suggestion in the "wish list" for BW and in the mean time I will read over the documentation on Tov-Polak.

Thanks Michael

Well it's a pretty complicated task to correlate two versions which are not always literally related to one another. So you can't exactly make an interlinear or anything like that. Sometimes you would have extra words left over, other times not enough. Depending on your knowledge and abilities with the languages though, the Tov-Polak tool is an amazingly powerful aid.

ugotdave
06-15-2009, 11:47 PM
No doubt, the Tov-Polak is a very very power tool, and I guess to have the LXX tagged with Hebrew would seem a bit redundant in the way of available resources in BW. But never-the-less I would love to see it done.

My knowledge of either language is very weak, Hebrew winning out though.

I did a few look-ups and found Tov-Polak to be less intimidating then at first. :)

David M