PDA

View Full Version : BW7 doesn't refresh when switching programs

ericjdaniels
06-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Does anyone else have this problem. It happens to me pretty frequently. I would say, a little too often. No other programs have issues like this.

I have included a pic of what it looked like when I recently switched back from MSWord 2003 to BW7. Notice how half of the BW screen is visible and half of MS Word is visible. I am baffled by this. The only solution I can ever find is to close and reopen BW. Pretty frustrating when you have to do that several times during paper writing/sermon prep.

I run a Thinkpad laptop, XP Pro SP3, a 2 GHz Core 2 Duo processor, 1 Gig of RAM and 3 Gigs free HDD space. I can't imagine it is my machine.

Is this a compatability issue? Or is BW just unable to handle even the slightest shortage in resources?

Thanks for the help!

MBushell
06-11-2009, 08:28 PM
The most likely culprits are the video driver and insufficient memory. You can try updating your video driver. You can test this thesis by seeing if it occurs in safe mode. 1 Gig of memory should be enough but itdepends on what you have running in parallel and in the background. This is not a known programming issue. Thousands of people are running BW7 without any such refresh problems. Contact tech support and they can be of more help as they deal with issues like this more often and will have a better idea of the experience of others. Make sure you give them your bw700,ini filr (in your BW root directory).
Mike

dmivapi
06-12-2009, 07:30 AM
I had a problem, that might be similar. When working in parallel window with two version displayed in BW7.
You can see on the attached picture two lines in the red circle that are the same, evidently something with repainting.

Something even worse was in BW8 when I was swithcing back and forth from browse window to browse tab and changing active verses I had an area in main browse window that stayed unmoved but the area around was showing the verses that I was scrolling. I have a new notebook with updated video driver and 3Gb of memory and no other program running

ericjdaniels
06-12-2009, 10:45 AM
Sounds good...I'll try updating my video driver. Thanks!

ericjdaniels
06-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Updated my driver, still does it. I have the ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 card. Wish I could figure it out. Frustrating. Oh well, Thanks for the help.

Michael Hanel
06-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Updated my driver, still does it. I have the ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 card. Wish I could figure it out. Frustrating. Oh well, Thanks for the help.

Maybe you've never experienced this with other programs, but I have. Based on what I've heard I just always assumed it was related to the memory/video card performance issues. If you have an exact sequence you can perform that always presents the problem (i.e. show it's reproducible), you can maybe share that w others and see how it works for them.

dmivapi
06-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Just today got it again. Now in search window. I clicked on the third verse in search result and something happend, so that I could not find the verse that I clicked on but now - you can see the same verse appears twice in the list. I made it go out of screen by scrolling and when I scrolled back it was not there. So it probably was just repainting problem

ericjdaniels
06-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Good suggestion Michael. I wish I had a sequence. I've tried to recreate it on cue, but it only happens when I wish it wouldn't. :)

Its interesting you have experienced this with other programs. I guess I've just been lucky. I'll hope I stay lucky.

Thanks for the tips.

richmilne
08-10-2011, 01:32 AM
Dear Ericjdaniels,
I realize this is a two year old thread, but I've had this problem for seveal years with BW7. I have always assumed it was a combination of small video memory and smaller total memory. My old Dell Inspiron 700m has 2 GB of RAM, and if I run any other program of size BW7 will begin to max out the CPU and the page will never fully redraw. I had hoped to run two Bible programs together, but this has proved impossible. I am just upgrading to a new laptop, and wondering how much memory BW9 can access/use. If I want to run the _other_ Bible software program at the same time as BW9, will 8GB be enough memory? Thanks for the help if you notice this update to such an old post!
In His daily mercies and eternal grace,
rich

MBushell
08-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Dear Ericjdaniels,
I realize this is a two year old thread, but I've had this problem for seveal years with BW7. I have always assumed it was a combination of small video memory and smaller total memory. My old Dell Inspiron 700m has 2 GB of RAM, and if I run any other program of size BW7 will begin to max out the CPU and the page will never fully redraw. I had hoped to run two Bible programs together, but this has proved impossible. I am just upgrading to a new laptop, and wondering how much memory BW9 can access/use. If I want to run the _other_ Bible software program at the same time as BW9, will 8GB be enough memory? Thanks for the help if you notice this update to such an old post!
In His daily mercies and eternal grace,
rich

BibleWorks itself should never use more than a few megabytes. So you should be fine.
I assume you will be running 64 bit windows. 32 bit windows versions cannot use 8 GB.

Screen refresh problems that we cannot reproduce are almost always video driver problems. Windows hands off screen painting to the video driver. Problems like this are much less common than they used to be, but they do occur occasionally and there is not much we can do to fix them. The best test to see if it is a video driver problem is to run in safe mode with the default VGA driver.

Mike

Adelphos
08-11-2011, 02:42 PM
I had the same problem on one of my computers carrying 2GB RAM with BW7 and it really has very little to do with overall RAM.

I traced the problem to the fonts and the burden that the fonts place on video drivers and the configruation of the video drivers and the OS and so on. Overall RAM has little to do with it.

I ran the same BW7 on a netbook with only 1 GB RAM and it performed with far more efficiency than my 2 GB RAM on Windows ME at that time.

Moreover, this is easy to verify on any system by simply looking at the memory footprint using Windows Task Manager.

On my current system, for example – Win 7, x64, 8GB RAM – the BW footprint is about 15K. This is with every single free Bible version installed and active, including all the English versions and all of the other foreign language versions, and virtually everything else that is available, plus a few modules. 15K.

By comparison, IE, which I am using right now to browse the web, has a memory footprint of 55K.

Adobe Acrobat with a small document open has a footprint of 30K.

WinWord with a very small open documet will have a footprint of 15-20K or more. Same with Excel. As the document sizes grow, so will the footprint, and sometimes dramatcially.

Explorer itself has a footprint of 35K on my system.

IrfanView with a small uncomplicated image loaded has a footprint of 18K.

And so on.

BibleWorks’ footprint is extremely small when compared with the vast amout of resources it manages. This is certainly due in large part to the DLL it utilizes, as well as extremely good coding of the program itself, and such like.

So as I said, this has almost nothing to do with overall RAM and everything to do with configuration which, as has been said, can almost always be traced back to the video driver and those objects that are placing a burden on video resources.

If you buy one of the tested and tried chips and video cards on your new computer, I seriously doubt you encounter any problems. If you do, it’s an anomaly, and what causes that anomaly is probably not traceable to BibleWorks, but to other configuration settings.