PDA

View Full Version : Default language in Browse window

dmivapi
06-06-2009, 03:04 PM
How can I set Default language for browse window to English, so that I can use shortcuts (which are all English characters)? I can't do it when my search version is Russian.

I set in Keyboard Layout window "English" as Default Keyboard layout. But it seems to work only for editor. Whenever I have RST (Russian Bible) as default search version, as soon as I click in browse window my keyboard switches to Russian and I have to switch it back to English to use any shortcut (for instance to use "b" for toggling analysis window)

Mark Eddy
06-09-2009, 10:45 AM
I can think of three possible solutions:
1) memorize where on the Russian keyboard the appropriate English letters are located (e.g. which key produces an English "b") and then type that key instead of the English shortcut key.

2) always have an English version in your browse window. Before you hit a shortcut key first click on the English version and make it your browse version.

or 3) send your suggestion to change the way BibleWorks deals with other language keyboards to How to Get Customer Support/Submit an Idea/Report a Bug (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268).

I have had a similar problem with editing verse map files. I have learned where some of the appropriate characters are hidden in non-English keyboards. But sometimes I just have to make an English (or Greek or Hebrew) version the search version, so I get my English keyboard back.
Mark Eddy

dmivapi
06-09-2009, 06:39 PM
I can think of three possible solutions:
1) memorize where on the Russian keyboard the appropriate English letters are located (e.g. which key produces an English "b") and then type that key instead of the English shortcut key.
Either I did not get you right, or you did not get me right :)
I have both Russian and English letters on my keyboard and know where they are without having to look on them. But these shortcut keys are inteded to make my work faster - so that I do not have to use any extra mouse moves or clicks.
I can toggle kb input to English (Ctrl+Shift) and then use shortcut key. But this are extra steps that slow down my work. The "keyboard layouts" window was supposed to resolve the problem. But it seems to work only for edit controls, not for browse window itself.

the appropriate characters are hidden in non-English keyboards

I am not sure what do you mean. How the characters can be hidden? What do you mean by non-English keyboards - they physical keyboard with no english letters on the keys?

I thought maybe I do not understand something right, and this is why I posted to this forum before writing to customer support. Probably will have to do it

Mark Eddy
06-09-2009, 09:37 PM
"I am not sure what do you mean. How the characters can be hidden? What do you mean by non-English keyboards - they physical keyboard with no english letters on the keys?"

Forgive me for being imprecise. By "hidden" I meant that the character is not the same as the character on your computer's physical keyboard. For example, with the Czech keyboard in BibleWorks a number of letters are in a different place from on the English keyboard. If I have Czech as the search version in BibleWorks, if I remember where the different letters are, I can click on a different key in order to produce the correct letter in BibleWorks. For exameple, BibleWorks reads an asterisk as a wildcard for searches no matter which keyboard you use to produce the asterisk. But if you hit the asterisk key while using a non-English BibleWorkskeyboard, it may not produce an asterisk on the screen. And your search will not work as you hope.
You correctly noted that you can keep the "BibleWorks Keyboard" window open to Cyrilic, and then the keys will not be "hidden." They will just be in a different place on your physical keyboard.

I know that my suggestion to change search versions is not as fast as simply using the shortcuts in English, but short of re-writing the program to change the relationship between the search version and the keyboard, the work-arounds which I suggested will get done what you want to do. But I admit that it will add a few keystrokes.

If you make a suggestion for a change in the way BibleWorks functions (my third suggestion), just realize that it may (or may not) cause problems for someone else who may like the way keyboards follow the search version now.

Sorry I could not be more helpful.
Mark Eddy

dmivapi
06-10-2009, 03:35 AM
Forgive me for being imprecise. By "hidden" I meant that the character is not the same as the character on your computer's physical keyboard.

I was talking about shortcut keys which are letters, like "b", "t" as well as other latin characters - they are not present at all, not just moved to the other place, I have cyrillic letters on all of them instead (there is not a single latin character present on keyboard, when cyrillic keyboard is on)

You correctly noted that you can keep the "BibleWorks Keyboard" window open to Cyrilic

You probably did not get me quite right I did not meant "BW Keyboard" window but rather "BW Keyboard layout window" (setup kind of window, with keyboard symbol as it's icon on toolbar, also can be run if you doubleclick on the language name on BW status line)

I wrote about that to BW staff, I do not think that anyone needs to type anything in browse window - it's impossible - this is not edit control, so the only use for keyboard can be pressing shortcut keys (they are all latin) or arrows, tabs which I do not think are used differently in all kb layouts)

Sorry I could not be more helpful.
Mark Eddy
Thank you, I hope that people at Bibleworks will consider my suggestion and come out with some answer, or program change. I already sent them several requests.