PDA

View Full Version : NWT bible now available for Bibleworks

countach
07-29-2004, 05:08 AM
Instructions for installing the NWT New World Translation in Bibleworks is here...

http://www.tech.com.au/nwt/

Joe Fleener
07-29-2004, 07:51 AM
Fantastic Program. It worked great...Java opens another door in options for userdb compiles.

Thanks for you hard work and for sharing it with the rest of us.

countach
07-29-2004, 08:55 AM
There was a bug in the first version whereby 3jn is a duplicate of 2jn. Now fixed.

frankenfro
07-29-2004, 09:57 AM
i'm not too familiar with how to download new versions. where do i save the nwt.jar and nwt.ddf files to?

thanks

Joe Fleener
07-29-2004, 10:12 AM
Technically it does not matter.

I chose to save them in my userdb directory under Bible Works 6 (5 or 4).

When I exectuted the nwt.jar I also chose to save the file it creates in the userdb directory as nwt.txt.

For me it is easier to keep track of things if they are all in the same place.

Hope this helps.

Dan Phillips
07-29-2004, 10:47 AM
I feel as if I'm tuning in at the very end of "The Sixth Sense."

You're all jazzed about the addition to BW of... a cultic per-version? Or is this another NWT? Or are you jazzed about the technology that makes it available.

Clue me!

;)

Dan

Joe Fleener
07-29-2004, 11:02 AM
Two things:

1. I am jazzed about the technology that produced this module. It is very nice and smooth.

2. It is very helpful when formulating a response to a JW (which I agree is a cult) to be able to see in parallel what their "bible" says in a certain passage. Compare their inaccurate translation of John 1:1 with their accurate translation of John 20:28.

Personally, I would not be thrilled if BibleWorks started including things like the Koran, NWT and other items as such in the program. However, these are helpful user created modules that do serve a purpose especially in the area of Apologetics.

frankenfro
07-29-2004, 11:29 AM
When compiling the dtb, does it matter what i put for the version ID and version #? I'm guessing the NWT would be the appropriate version ID and it's telling me to enter any number >=5000 for the version #.

countach
07-29-2004, 11:35 AM
If you download the NWT.ddf and open it with the compiler module, you won't have to ask questions about what version id etc to use, and you won't get the options wrong. All you need to change then is the path to the downloaded file.

Gontroppo
07-29-2004, 05:41 PM
I need a little more guidance on how to download and install the NWT database, please.

So far I have downloaded the 2 files from the original post.

But do I have to correct one line of the java code?
What do I do next, please?

David McKay

countach
07-29-2004, 10:15 PM
The two files you have are nwt.jar and nwt.ddf.

nwt.jar is a program and you need to run it. Usually clicking on it in Windows explorer will work if you have java installed. If not you need to find the location of your java.exe and do it on a command prompt.

c:/j2sdk1.4.2/bin/java.exe -jar nwt.jar

It will prompt you where to create the data file. Let's say you choose C:\nwt.txt

Now in bibleworks open the Version Database Compiler. Click on Open in the top left corner. Open the nwt.ddf you downloaded. Where it says Database text raw text file, click Browse and select C:\nwt.txt (or whereever you put it)

Now click "Compile". And you should be done.

Gontroppo
07-30-2004, 02:24 AM
Thanks very much for help so far.
Now, how do you go to a DOS prompt in Windows XP?

I had a link in Win 98.

David McKay

countach
07-30-2004, 02:31 AM
I have moved the location of the program to here, and bundled them together...

http://www.tech.com.au/biblewdn/

And added some more doco for the frequently asked questions.

I may try Wycliffe's version as the next one to tackle.

Trodelphin
11-22-2004, 11:23 AM
hi
keep coming up with empty file when i download the nwt database
no probs with main files goes throught the bible books on download screen but the file is then empty

help :confused:

Regards
Trodelphin

ntyler
12-03-2004, 02:36 AM
I also am getting an empty file download of the NWT. The Message downloads okay (well, appears to be). NWT download status progresses very quickly from book to book, obviously not downloading anything.

ntyler
12-03-2004, 02:45 AM
Here's what's happening: The Watchtower web site has moved the Bible to a new location, so the downloader is not finding it. I realized this when I examined the source code.

countach
12-04-2004, 03:19 AM
I've released V1.3 of the program to fix the NWT problem.

The key to getting me to fix any bugs and problems is to hound me mercilessly until I comply.

adamlau
12-06-2004, 11:56 AM
Is there an available Amplified DDF? If not (and using other DDF files as examples), how should it be formatted (version 5000 or 5002, hasnotes no or yes, hasendnotes no or yes, etc...)? How should the following be edited:

bwversion 6.0.011m
compilerversion 1
rawdatafile C:\BibleWorks\userdb\amp.txt
name Amplified
font Default
fontsize 12
language English
languagegroup English
hasstrongs no
hassuperscripts yes
hasitalics yes
readonly no
transliterated no
hasxrefs no
hassmallcaps no
usenaslexicon no
sourceformat ccat
keyboard English
fonttype English
dashoption 1
apostropheoption 0
codingscheme None
wraptype EnglishText
content NTOnly
hasnotes no
hasendnotes yes
versionid AMP
companion
locale English
version 5000
BeginGlobals

EndGlobals

countach
12-07-2004, 02:29 AM
Hmm... I wonder if I actually finished the AMP or not. You'd better give it a bit of a look over once you get it installed to see if it looks ok.

BTW, V1.3 was a dud. Get V1.4.

As for the DDF, use "End Notes" , "Has X-Refs". I think that's all. Do some experimentation if anything looks wierd.

adamlau
12-07-2004, 04:43 AM
Is there a DDF syntax help file or FAQ available? The following DDF works if the </A> tags are removed in amp.txt:

bwversion 6.0.011m
compilerversion 1
rawdatafile C:\BibleWorks\userdb\amp.txt
name Amplified Bible
font Default
fontsize 12
language English
languagegroup English
hasstrongs no
hassuperscripts yes
hasitalics no
readonly no
transliterated no
hasxrefs yes
hassmallcaps no
usenaslexicon no
sourceformat ccat
keyboard English
fonttype English
dashoption 1
apostropheoption 0
codingscheme None
wraptype EnglishText
content NTOnly
hasnotes no
hasendnotes yes
versionid AMP
companion
locale English
version 5000
BeginGlobals

EndGlobals

countach
12-08-2004, 07:38 AM
>Is there a DDF syntax help file or FAQ available?

You're not supposed to write them yourself. You're supposed to create them with the gui.

adamlau
12-08-2004, 07:29 PM
I see...One question: What does the 'version' variable refer to?

countach
12-08-2004, 07:55 PM
I think it's something to do with Bibleworks knowing when a version has changed, maybe so it can re-index or something. All you need to know is increment by one everytime the version changes.

rpitre
12-09-2004, 05:08 PM
I downloaded the biblwdn.jar link and recieved several .class files. Yet there was no .jar program. Am I missing something?

countach
12-09-2004, 05:55 PM
How can you download a .jar file and get lots of files (.class)? My guess is you are unzipping the .jar file. (jar files are really .zip files, but you shouldn't unzip them!). Without more detail about what you're doing it's hard to help.

alan1979
12-09-2004, 09:29 PM
I can't get the NWT in Bibleworks. I have downloaded all the files, The BibleWDN is in the bibleworks file, i double click on both NWT files, the NWT ABBRV and the NWT file itself, but i am not able to access it.

alan

countach
12-09-2004, 10:20 PM
I'm not sure what you think clicking on the files is supposed to achieve.

My first question is: Have you read and carefully followed the instructions on the web site?

alan1979
12-09-2004, 11:22 PM
yes i have tried to follow the directions on the website. However I am not the most literate computer user as some. I don't know where to save the different files to, and then once they are where they need to be, how to open them. If you could help, i would greatly appreciate, thanks

alan

Gontroppo
12-09-2004, 11:45 PM
I can't get the NWT thing to work either.
Like other posters, I need detailed info to explain how to do it.

I have successfully loaded up other user databases, but this seems to require some knowledge I don't possess.

David McKay
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~musicke

alan1979
12-10-2004, 01:25 AM
ok I did it but it said the database has all blank verses, what should i do?

alan

countach
12-10-2004, 01:29 AM
It doesn't matter where you save them.

As far as I can tell, you are missing these steps from the web site...

9. Start the Version Compiler from within Bibleworks
10. Click "Open" and select the appropriate .ddf file.
11. Click "Browse" to select the location of your Data File
12. Click "Compile".

alan1979
12-10-2004, 01:54 AM
i did all those steps but everytime it says its compiled, it still says the database has all blank verses.

alan

countach
12-10-2004, 01:58 AM
Which version of biblewdn.jar are you running?

Can you open the datafile in a text editor like wordpad, and does it have verses in there?

How long did the NWT take to download?

alan1979
12-10-2004, 02:21 AM
i am using the version from the website, not quite sure which version.

I can't find the text file of the NWT, i see other files for the NWT but not the text file.

it took about 1 second for it to be downloaded.

alan

alan1979
12-10-2004, 02:30 AM
ok this is what i do.

1. I download the Biblewdn.jar file into the bibleworks folder, i don't have an option of what version to choose. It takes about 3 seconds.

2. I download the NWT DFF file which takes 1 second, i download it into the Bibleworks foler.

3. I have extracted the biblewdn.jar files because i didn't know what else to try.

4. I goto Version Database Complier, press open and select the NWT DFF

5. I goto BROWSE, but there is no NWT TXT file so i select the NWT file where the DFF is.

6. I select Compile, and it does but it comes back with an empty database.

alan

countach
12-10-2004, 02:37 AM
Well, you need to run biblewdn and look at what version it is in the dialogue box, because those prior to 1.4 don't work any more due to watchtower moving it.

When you say you don't know where the NWT data file is but you know where the "other files" are, I'm not sure what you mean. There is the tiny ddf file you download from the web site and the data file that biblewdn downloads. Its location will be wherever you tell biblewdn to save it.

1 second download is much too quick. It indicates that it isn't working. It should take at least 15 minutes depending on your connection speed.

countach
12-10-2004, 02:41 AM
>I have extracted the biblewdn.jar files because i didn't know
>what else to try.

Don't do that!

You need to run biblewdn.jar as a program using Java. You need to follow the instructions on the web site about checking your Java installation and running biblewdn.

alan1979
12-10-2004, 03:03 AM
well i have the java program but i don't know if its running. How do i get it to run, even though i have it? When i click biblewdn.jar what is supposed to happen? Once its downloaded, do i go and double click it? If so, do i choose java to have it open?

alan

countach
12-11-2004, 06:02 AM
Java can be obtained from http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

If you have java installed correctly, you can double click the biblewdn.jar. If your java is set up correctly, a gui dialog box will pop up asking you what bible to download.

There are instructions on the biblewdn web site for checking your java installation.

djnordlund
12-11-2004, 02:19 PM
well i have the java program but i don't know if its running. How do i get it to run, even though i have it? When i click biblewdn.jar what is supposed to happen? Once its downloaded, do i go and double click it? If so, do i choose java to have it open?

alanAlan,

I had a lot of trouble getting this to work until I realized that no matter what I did, when the biblewdn.jar file was downloaded, it was always renamed to biblewdn.zip. When I realized this, I renamed it to biblewdn.jar and double-clicked it, and it started the download process just fine. Check to see if your file does in fact have a .jar extension.

Dan Nordlund
Bothell, WA

alan1979
12-11-2004, 07:59 PM
Thanks Don for your suggestion, IT WORKED! I downloaded it correctly to my documents, however... after everything downloaded i went into bible works and went to open and selected the NWT dff file, then went to browse and went to the NWT file that i downloaded and then pressed compile with the install after compiling checked, and everything was going fine until the last second. It says THE BUILD WAS SUCCESSFUL but the installation procedure failed. Don't know what to do now.

alan

alan1979
12-11-2004, 08:52 PM
Don, thank you so much. I just fixed it. I didn't name the downloaded NWT file as NWT.TXT, but i downloaded it again and named it NWT.TXT and it worked perfectly. Thanks for ALL OF YOU for your patience. I appreciate this version alot not for itself but because like some, I witness mostly to witnesses, so this is a great addition. THANKS ALOT GUYS!!!!

alan

pastor-steve
12-12-2004, 03:03 AM
Thanks for version 1.4. I'm glad the "starting with John" thing is fixed.

But I think another problem might have crept into version 1.4...

I just tried to download The Message (I have two copies in print already!)

It gave me an error 400. The URL java gave me looks like it has an extra slash in it.

The error message gave this URL: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/index.php/?search=genesis 1&version=65

BibleGateway uses this one
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/index.php?search=genesis%201&version=65

Note that biblewdn had a slash between index.php and ?search=...

(Hopefully Java is converting the space to a %20 anyway. I'm not familiar with its class libraries.)

This is a great tool. I'm looking forward to using it to download and convert Eugene Peterson's great work in The Message.

Hope this is helpful.

--Steve

countach
12-13-2004, 09:16 AM
Unfortunately this is more serious than a simple case of moved URL. They have had a major web site revamp, which quite likely means I would have to start again in implementing bible gateway versions. You may have to wait till I'm inspired to go hacking again on this one.

Sbradford
12-14-2004, 04:42 PM
Absolutely!

I would love to have The Message version in Bibleworks 6. I've been waiting forever.....

Unfortunately this is more serious than a simple case of moved URL. They have had a major web site revamp, which quite likely means I would have to start again in implementing bible gateway versions. You may have to wait till I'm inspired to go hacking again on this one.

alan1979
01-19-2005, 01:45 AM
I went to http://www.tech.com.au/biblewdn/

and downloaded the wycliffe file then went too BIBLEWDN in bibleworks and chose Wycliffe and named the file and pushed enter. This is the response that I got:

Server Returned HTTP response code: 400 URL: http://Bible.gospelcom.net/passage/?search=mat 1&version=53;

What should I do?

thanks,
alan

countach
01-19-2005, 02:25 AM
I think the web sites have been changed again. Hey, this is wycliffe, out of copyright a long time ago. Message me privately and I'll get you the file.

alan1979
01-19-2005, 02:41 AM
Countach,

I messaged you regarding the Wycliffe file. My email address is scoobiesnackarff@aol.com, thanks :) Also if you have the message or amplified, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks,

alan

alan1979
01-20-2005, 12:08 AM
I was able to download the file that you sent me and tried to compile the Message and all was going well, the build was successful but the installation failed. For the Century Version, i tried to compile it and it didn't even get to the build is successful stage, the blue bar went all the way to the end, but it wasn't done adding verses. The wycliffe version did the same as the message. What do you suggest???

alan

countach
01-20-2005, 01:21 AM
I take it you used the .ddf file from the web site?

I'm not sure what to say. I just compiled and installed Wycliffe from the exact same file with no problem. Try restarting bibleworks. Try exporting one of your existing versions and re-import it under the name WYC to see if that works.

Sigrid
01-20-2005, 08:15 AM
Hi,

bibles from gospelcom don't load => http Code 404

any solutions?

The downloaded hcsb text has tags like <N1>, what is the meaning?

sigrid

alan1979
01-20-2005, 05:23 PM
Hey Countach,

I tried again last night and it worked fine. I don't know what I was doing wrong, nor what I did right but it worked, THANK YOU :)

alan

Gontroppo
01-24-2005, 07:34 PM
G'day
I have tried and tried to install the NWT and other databases using this java thingy, and nothing worked.

Don't know if this will help anyone else, but here is what worked for me. This is actually 2 solutions to 2 problems.

As an old geezer with fading eyes, I find some web pages very hard to read, and now I find many pages have been set so that you can't increase the font size by going to View/Text size and clicking on "larger, " or whatever.

Someone suggested I use Mozilla in such situations, and so I downloaded Mozilla Firefox from
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

This browser has its limitations, and sometimes you do need to use IE, I find, but you can increase the font on any web page. To be frank, some pages don't look as good in Firefox as they do in IE, including my own website.

But, it is great to be able to read what you are squinting at!

Second solution? One day I was directed to download java to use a web page in Firefox, and this resulted in it being properly installed on my computer for the first time, and I can now download the text files of these databases.

It does take a looong time, and I have not yet completed the project, but I see it working for the first time.

If it stuffs up when I try it seriously, I'll do an Arnie!
[or Douglas Macarthur]

David McKay
www.davidmckay.info (http://www.davidmckay.info)

Gontroppo
01-25-2005, 05:49 PM
I have successfully installed HCSB and NWT, but can't get Wycliff to work. Does this involve getting a text file for someone? Is it available on the NET somewhere?

Thanks very much for the HCSB and NWTs.

David McKay
www.davidmckay.info (http://www.davidmckay.info)

BC4Jesus
03-17-2005, 07:17 PM
I downloaded the file "biblewdn" and double-clicked on it. It opened up a window asking me what version to download and I selected The Message. It then opens up another window with a blank in the filename. Am I supposed open a file with that window or type in a name? I've tried everything and can't figure out what the biblewdn file is actually for. If I type in the name msg in the blank and then click on the "save to output file name" button I get a progress window that opens up with the word "Gen" in it and then another window opens up "java.io.IOException: server returned HTTP response code: 400 for URL: " and then it lists a gospelcom.net url. I'm really confused if there is another file that I need to download or what exactly I need to do. Any help that anyone can give me (step by step instuctions would be great) is GREATLY appreciated.

countach
03-29-2005, 07:51 PM
Yes you are supposed to type in a file name, any name will do. But as I think I now mention on the web site, many of these have stopped working because they have changed the web site layout and/or location. I don't have the inspiration right now to fix it, but the source code is available on the web site as an example for any programmers who wish to try it. It's not that hard to do.

As far as I know the NWT version still works, you can try that as an example. BTW, the whole thing probably doesn't work behind corporate proxy servers etc.