PDA

View Full Version : Thomas & Gundry Harmony file

Philip Brown
05-09-2009, 10:21 AM
I teach the Life of Christ and use Robert Thomas and Stan Gundry's Harmony of the Gospels. It isn't perfect, but it works very well on the collegiate level.

I have long wished for this harmony to be in BW, and this year I got secretarial help, so ... I'm glad to share with the rest of my fellow BibleWorks users, this harmony.

See attached file.

Kimba
05-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Thankyou so much for this contribution. I used it a lot in college many years ago :).

SCSaunders
05-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Thank you! This had to have been a lot of work. Though I'm a happily married man and I'm sure you are too (didn't you post pics of a grand child awhile back on your blog?), please give your secretarial help an apical hug or double-grip handshake or something. A High Five. A Cheshire cat smile. Something. :)

Edit~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Okay. I know how things can easily get taken the wrong way. My point is: a "peck/kiss on the check" is definitely out.

Michael Hanel
05-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks Philip! I've put this on the BibleWorks blog (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/?p=500), so as to keep everything in one nice place.

tcblack
05-14-2009, 09:50 AM
Wow, Thanks Phil (and your secretary!)
I've used T&G for a long time now and I really appreciate this one.

calvary
05-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Indeed. Thank you so much.

Dave

Adelphos
05-14-2009, 05:55 PM
Has anyone noticed that the ST (Synopsis Tool) will not handle multiple verses that cross chapter boundaries? For example, #135 in the TG will not translate from Joh 7:53-8:11.

If this is the case with the rest of you then we need to report it as potential bug or enhancement request.

Can anybody else get it to work?

Michael Hanel
05-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Has anyone noticed that the ST (Synopsis Tool) will not handle multiple verses that cross chapter boundaries? For example, #135 in the TG will not translate from Joh 7:53-8:11.

If this is the case with the rest of you then we need to report it as potential bug or enhancement request.

Can anybody else get it to work?

Doesn't work. I'd say it's a bug.

Adelphos
05-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Doesn't work. I'd say it's a bug.

I submitted a report.

Adelphos
05-15-2009, 06:30 PM
CS responded fast, but we're going to have to make it a feature request if we want the ST to work across chapter boundaries. Here is the CS response...

Thank you for your message. I do not believe the Synopsis Window is designed to allow searches for verse ranges. The help file for the Synopsis Window indicates for the View | Find Verse indicates "This option will open up a window that allows you to specify a verse to search for in the SDF file. If found the line containing it will be displayed." Since it refers to a verse in the singular, that appears to be its intended usage.

I vote that we put in a feature request. Anybody else?

Michael Hanel
05-15-2009, 07:49 PM
I vote that we put in a feature request. Anybody else?

Maybe I'm the slow one, but I didn't understand how the Support response answered the question. In any event, I think it would be a good thing for it to do. It can already display John 1:1-10, it would make sense to me that it ought also be able to display John 1:1-2:2. Now I'm not sure I'd say it's a high priority, but I do think it is something to add to the list.

Adelphos
05-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Maybe I'm the slow one, but I didn't understand how the Support response answered the question.

It didn't for me either, but I didn't want to press the issue without at least one other supporter. As you say, since it can already support multiple verses -- except across chapter boundaries -- I would consider it more of a bug than not. Perhaps the powers that be will read this thread and give it a quick fix.

Mark Eddy
05-15-2009, 10:17 PM
I would not call it a bug, since BibleWorks never said that it would work the way we would like it to work.
Other BW databases, such as Comfort and Barrett, also have some multiple-chapter verse ranges which BibleWorks does not read correctly. That could be considered a bug.
Concerning this "problem" with the synopsis files, I simply learned to use different syntax in the synopsis file entries in order to get them to display all the verses. Instead of writing:
Joh 7:53-8:11
you can write:
Joh 7:53; Joh 8:1-11
and the synopsis tool will read it just fine, only with a line break between chapters.
But the suggestion to have BW read references across chapter lines is fine with me, though I suspect that this might add considerable complexity to the way BW looks up verses. And would BW also want to be able to read across book line, e.g. 1Sa 31:10-2Sa 1:9?

But while we're on the topic of the synopsis tool, does anyone else have the problem I have, namely, that the synopsis tool displays versions which are not specified in the synopsis tool? E.g. on my computer PNT displays in all my NT synopsis files, and PJE displays in all OT synopsis files. But none of the synopsis files designates either of these version as a display version.

Mark Eddy

Adelphos
05-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Concerning this "problem" with the synopsis files, I simply learned to use different syntax in the synopsis file entries in order to get them to display all the verses. Instead of writing:
Joh 7:53-8:11
you can write:
Joh 7:53; Joh 8:1-11
and the synopsis tool will read it just fine, only with a line break between chapters.

I didn't know that. It is excellent, and as far as I'm concerned it's good enough. No need to distract the programmers from more important work, as this really works just fine. It should, however, be noted in the help file.

But while we're on the topic of the synopsis tool, does anyone else have the problem I have, namely, that the synopsis tool displays versions which are not specified in the synopsis tool? E.g. on my computer PNT displays in all my NT synopsis files, and PJE displays in all OT synopsis files. But none of the synopsis files designates either of these version as a display version.

I don't have this problem, or anything like it. Just out of curiosity, do either of these ghost versions happen to also be display versions in your browse window? If so, that might narrow down the problem for the programmers.

Mark Eddy
05-18-2009, 12:14 AM
I don't have this problem, or anything like it. Just out of curiosity, do either of these ghost versions happen to also be display versions in your browse window? If so, that might narrow down the problem for the programmers.
No, neither of these extraneous versions is a display version on any of my tabs for the browse window. They are included in one of my "favorites," but not one that is active now. I've had the problem at least since last fall, and I notified the programmers, but nobody else seems to have duplicated the problem.
Thanks for checking into this.
Mark Eddy

SCSaunders
05-18-2009, 10:53 AM
I didn't know that. It is excellent, and as far as I'm concerned it's good enough. ...Same POV here. Very nice and simple work around.

rcseim
04-19-2014, 06:50 PM
I teach the Life of Christ and use Robert Thomas and Stan Gundry's Harmony of the Gospels. It isn't perfect, but it works very well on the collegiate level.

I have long wished for this harmony to be in BW, and this year I got secretarial help, so ... I'm glad to share with the rest of my fellow BibleWorks users, this harmony.

See attached file.

I have searched this Forum and Google and cannot find HOW to install this User Database to my BW9. Sorry if I searched wrong and it is already somewhere on this Forum.

Michael Hanel
04-19-2014, 11:09 PM
I have searched this Forum and Google and cannot find HOW to install this User Database to my BW9. Sorry if I searched wrong and it is already somewhere on this Forum.

Once you've opened the Synopsis Tool in BibleWorks, simply go to the menu system in the Synopsis Tool to File|Open and navigate the file explorer to wherever you have unzipped the .sdf file.

Mark Eddy
04-21-2014, 12:06 AM
Once you've opened the Synopsis Tool in BibleWorks, simply go to the menu system in the Synopsis Tool to File|Open and navigate the file explorer to wherever you have unzipped the .sdf file.
You should unzip it to the BibleWorks "init" folder. Then it will display in the list of all the other .sdf files.
Mark Eddy