PDA

View Full Version : Search-Problem

Peter
05-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Dear BW-Users,

I want to create a List of verses, where BNM compared with BYM omits "for us/hUPER hHMWN" as in 1Pet 4,1.

Unfortunately my query-file doesn't work (see below) !

Is there an opportunity to get the results with the VLM ?

Thank you for your help !
Best regards
Peter
www.streitenberger.com (http://www.streitenberger.com)

MGVH
05-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Note that you need to run a couple sub-queries.
Alles gutes!

UPDATE: See post below with improved and correct qf file attached.

SkipB
05-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Peter,
I took a different approach. First run the search on bym 'uper ego@rpg-p then select tools under command line and select verse list manager.
from menu select import and select entire search window verse list
re-run search on bnm and import list to secondary window
choose the secondary window from selection menu select all
from edit menu select remap selected verses to another version
remap the bnm to bym
now from primary window select all verses not common to both lists
from selection menu invert selection
from edit menu delete selected.
what is left is every use of uper hmwn that does not have a corresponding use in bnm.

Peter
05-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Thank you, Mark and Rollin,

it works fine now ! Both solutions are intelligent ! I personally prefer Rollin's way, as I have difficulties with this strange subqueries. I have no clue, when and why to use them.

Have a nice weekend !

Yours
Peter, Germany (Bavaria)

SkipB
05-08-2009, 01:51 PM
I ran Mark's query and the results included verses that had the uper hmwn in both versions. I tried to modify his query and it looks different came up with the same verses in my cl search. But I need more practice with ASE to be comfortable with my own results. I would welcome anybody's input, am I missing something?

Peter
05-08-2009, 02:14 PM
"I ran Mark's query and the results included verses that had the uper hmwn in both versions."

I just see, that you're right, Rollin ! Your GSE-query lists the same verses as your query with the VLM.
But the GSE-solution is far more complicated - anyway for me .

Peter, Germany

Adelphos
05-08-2009, 02:59 PM
I ran Mark's query and the results included verses that had the uper hmwn in both versions. I tried to modify his query and it looks different came up with the same verses in my cl search. But I need more practice with ASE to be comfortable with my own results. I would welcome anybody's input, am I missing something?

Skip, in your query the bottom left is redundant. IOW, you don't need it. Specifically I'm referring to the BYM subquery under the NOT in the bottom left. If you delete that whole subset you will see that you get the exact same results.

MGVH
05-09-2009, 01:41 AM
This time it really does work returning only the 5 results you seek.
The trick is running two subqueries and then adding a NOT AND before merging results. Take a look. It should make pretty good sense.

SkipB
05-09-2009, 02:58 AM
I guess I assumed you had to have 2 things attached to an and box.
Much less messy