PDA

View Full Version : Gse again!

jmbpastor
04-30-2009, 06:37 PM
Hello once again. I still am having a hard time obtaining results for my initial query. I would like to find all instances of the Hebrew word hesed (Strong's #02617) and not eleoj (eleos) or dikaiosunh (dikaiosunh) in the BGT. In other words, to find every occurrence of the Hebrew word hesed when not translated by the eleos or dikaiosnh (the two greek words listed above). Is this particular search even possible?

Thanks again.
John Butzu

Ben Spackman
04-30-2009, 09:44 PM
It's definitely possible, and not too difficult.

But I don't have access to BW at this very moment. Open up the GSE and load one of the examples. There's one called multiversion or something of the kind. Messing around with that will help you figure it out, if someone else doesn't post it soon.

Mark Eddy
04-30-2009, 10:10 PM
I would like to find all instances of the Hebrew word hesed (Strong's #02617) and not eleoj (eleos) or dikaiosunh (dikaiosunh) in the BGT. Is this particular search even possible?

Short answer: yes. Attached is a simple query which should catch most of what you want.
However, it does not necessarily
find every occurrence of the Hebrew word hesed when not translated by the eleos or dikaiosnh (the two greek words listed above).
There may be verses in which the LXX translates a different Hebrew word with eleoj or dikaiosunh and so those verses would be excluded from your list, even though neither of these words actually translates "hesed" in the given verse. There is no way to know this unless you look at each verse which contains "hesed."
To do that I suggest you try the "Parallel Hebrew and LXX" tool and type in the Hebrew word dsx. You will get a list of all verses with dsx together with what the creator of the tool determined is the Greek word or phrase which translates it. You can then more easily see which verses translate dsx with a different Greek lemma.
Mark Eddy

jmbpastor
05-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Right. That is why I tried using the Strong's number for hesed instead of the the lemma "dsx" in the WTT.
It just seems very painful to go through each verse when there are so many hits (over 200).

Adelphos
05-01-2009, 05:14 AM
Right. That is why I tried using the Strong's number for hesed instead of the the lemma "dsx" in the WTT.
It just seems very painful to go through each verse when there are so many hits (over 200).

I showed you in a previous query how to use the Strong's number in the GSE.

jmbpastor
05-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Thank you Mark Eddy! I just now had the chance to open you attached query, it is exactly what I needed. Thank you to all that helped in this matter.

Sincerely,
John