PDA

View Full Version : Custom Names for Context Tabs

MBushell
04-24-2009, 06:08 PM
At the request of several users, I have added the ability to define your own labels for the Search Window tabs. You can also control whether or not the tabs will wrap if they won't fit on one line. Right click on a tab and look at the last two items. Use should be self explanatory. It's limited to Roman characters.

Until this is tested a bit, it is only available as a beta version. To see the download you have to open up the updater in BW and click on the options menu. Enter "BW8BETA" as the access code (no quotes). Then the update should become visible. Take a look if you are curious, but only if you are comfortable with a test version. The risk is small for this one though.

Mike

Precha1
04-24-2009, 06:33 PM
Let me be the first to say this is really nice. Thank you for your attentiveness.

Adelphos
04-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Mike, absolutely PHENOMENAL!!! I've been waiting for this for ever. For me, BW perfection has now arrived!!!

Adelphos
04-24-2009, 07:59 PM
I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I wonder if one more little tweak could be implemented... namely, if we could limit the number of tabs displayed?

This new naming feature is EXTRAORDINARILY useful to me. Even if you don't tweak it further, I am utterly THRILLED with it.

Ben Spackman
04-25-2009, 06:26 PM
This is... glorious :)

Gilbert Salinas
04-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Mike, absolutely PHENOMENAL!!! I've been waiting for this for ever. For me, BW perfection has now arrived!!!
Mike,
THANKS VERY MUCH For THIS CHANGE!!!!!!!

This is VERY USEFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gilbert Salinas :)

Ken Neighoff
04-26-2009, 12:55 PM
YES, Indeed, very useful. Thanks.

Eric
04-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks so much, this is great!

SCSaunders
04-27-2009, 10:03 AM
http://i43.tinypic.com/dq3u43.png

This is going to prove to be very handy.

Matt Harmon
04-28-2009, 04:03 PM
I just wanted to add my own gratitude for adding this outstanding features. Kudos to Mike and BW8 team!

almather
04-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Another 'Thank you' - here as well.

Al

MBushell
04-29-2009, 12:39 PM
You can no add and remove tabs and use the tab names in the command line "l" command. See the Program Updates section on the forum for details. These changes will be beta changes until we get some feedback.

Mike

SCSaunders
04-29-2009, 02:17 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/55jwub.png

Matt Harmon
04-29-2009, 03:38 PM
When I updated to the latest executable (09.c.2), I lost the tab names I had designated from the previous executable. Did that happen to anyone else? I trust this is an unintended consequence.

Ken Neighoff
04-29-2009, 03:47 PM
Under the program and database updates, http://bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3806, it was stated this could be the result. All you would have to do is rename them, or use the turn back feature to undo this update.

SCSaunders
04-29-2009, 03:54 PM
When I updated to the latest executable (09.c.2), I lost the tab names I had designated from the previous executable. Did that happen to anyone else? I trust this is an unintended consequence.Matt, this did happen to me, but I take it as a "lesson learned," an opportunity to learn something new, hopefully preventing it from happening again.

Take a look, starting at the 1:20 mark, of MGVH's (http://bibleandtech.blogspot.com/2008/08/bibleworks7-working-with-tabs.html) BW8 Tabs tutorial video. The "something new" I'm going to lern me is saving these buggers to disk.

If this is not new to you - my apologies. Time for a Twinkie or HoHo.

Matt Harmon
04-29-2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the responses. It is no big deal for me at this stage to rename the tabs, but long term it seems like it would be bad if every exe update erases the tab names. In my mind this limits the usability of this new feature if I have to either manually save the tabs or rename them after every new exe that is released. I would just hope that as Mike works the bugs out of this great new feature he would be able to make it so that updating to the new exe still retains the tab names.

Adelphos
04-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Saving your tabs wouln't have mattered because the latest update deleted all the earlier .swc files. I think this is because new information is now savexd in the .swc files since it is now possible to delete/add tabs.

What a STUPENDOUS enhancement! I love this new feature.

MBushell
04-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the responses. It is no big deal for me at this stage to rename the tabs, but long term it seems like it would be bad if every exe update erases the tab names. In my mind this limits the usability of this new feature if I have to either manually save the tabs or rename them after every new exe that is released. I would just hope that as Mike works the bugs out of this great new feature he would be able to make it so that updating to the new exe still retains the tab names.

I did warn people. Of course we wouldn't permit the context files to be destroyed with each exe update! It was inadvertent in this case. I posted a new exe that will avoid the context file reset for subsequent downloaders. But unfortunately it will cause another reset for those who downloaded the previous beta version. Sorry about that.
Mike

Matt Harmon
04-29-2009, 06:23 PM
You are definitely right, Mike, that you warned us, and so I hope that I didn't communicate frustration. I raised the issue simply as a "hey, this is a great feature that I hope we can make better." Thanks for so quickly responding. You continue to excel at improving BW!

MBushell
04-29-2009, 06:47 PM
You are definitely right, Mike, that you warned us, and so I hope that I didn't communicate frustration. I raised the issue simply as a "hey, this is a great feature that I hope we can make better." Thanks for so quickly responding. You continue to excel at improving BW!
Thanks Matt. No frustration perceived. E-mail is bad for conveying emotion. Let me know if you have any more trouble with the tabs.
Mike

SCSaunders
04-30-2009, 07:09 AM
Saving your tabs wouln't have mattered because the latest update deleted all the earlier .swc files. I think this is because new information is now savexd in the .swc files since it is now possible to delete/add tabs.Ah well. Then the info in your post is my new "lessons learned."

In my laptop/notebook of a daily world, I continue trying out and learning software packages. I say "continue" because I've been doing this for quite some time. Not unique to me, we all here at this forum in particular, could echo the same thing [assumption on my part]. If we can agree on that, then we can probably agree that there's never been a software that didn't have glitches, especially during transitions - the kind that upgrades bring.

Beta testing never bug bombs all of them. Never. Not ever. BW has had, in my personal experience, comparatively speaking, the fewest buggy glitches, far and away. Bill Gates quit before he lernt hisself how to do this, him will all his MS billions and MS staff and all.

What's my point here and my default at the keyboard? Most of the "issues" that get presented and commented on, for me at least, are merely the "thorns 'n' thistles" of the cursed software field. They are the muck apples that must be shoveled from the stalls of this program's many horses. So, not unexpected and ain't that big a deal. None of these have ever really prevented me from accomplishing my work, Sunday coming every three days. Not a single one, like these new name tabs for instance, really doesn't take all that long to fix. Life under the sun happens.

FWIW. JM2C. YadaYadaYadaBadaBingBadaBoom.

tcblack
04-30-2009, 12:44 PM
This is so Cool!
I've been wanting just exactly this for a long time but have been content with everything else that BW does just so excellently.

Call me a BW fanboy, still.

calvary
05-01-2009, 05:01 AM
This tab naming feature ROCKS!

Couple of questions; forgive me if they're dumb.:confused:

1. When I right click on a custom-named tab, it gives me the option to clear the tab, but then when I try to do that it says "cannot clear the active tab." Is this intentional? I'm just wondering why the option is there.

2. Sometimes I want to clear out the searches in my tabs. When I do that it also erases all my tab names. Anyway work around for that?

Thanks BW for all you do.

Dave

Adelphos
05-01-2009, 05:17 AM
Couple of questions...

Number 1, yes, it is supposed to work that way. You can't clear the contents of the current tab.

If you want to easily regain your favorite tab setups, then make all tabs the way you want them, then choose save tabs to disk. Now all you have to do to restore your tab setup is load tabs from disk. You can do this with multiple configurations.

calvary
05-01-2009, 05:36 AM
Number 1, yes, it is supposed to work that way. You can't clear the contents of the current tab.

If you want to easily regain your favorite tab setups, then make all tabs the way you want them, then choose save tabs to disk. Now all you have to do to restore your tab setup is load tabs from disk. You can do this with multiple configurations.

1. Interesting. What would be the purpose of even having that on the right click menu, I wonder?

2. Maybe that can be something added to the functionality of the tabs: to have the tab names remain when search hits are cleared.

Thanks Scott. :)

Blessings,
Dave

Matt Harmon
05-01-2009, 08:11 AM
I agree with Dave that it would be nice to have the option of keeping the tab names when clearing the contents of the tabs.

SCSaunders
05-01-2009, 08:32 AM
I haven't been able to reproduce what you're experiencing, but try this. Worth a shot. If it doesn't work, drink of shot (Welch's Grape Juice of course. Goes w/o saying.)

http://i39.tinypic.com/ji2ced.jpg

Gilbert Salinas
05-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Hi,

BW8 crashes when I try to load tabs saved to disk!!!

GS :confused:

MBushell
05-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Hi,

BW8 crashes when I try to load tabs saved to disk!!!

GS :confused:
Can you send me the swc file that is causing this? Your INI file would be useful too. I am not seeing this.
Mike

Greg Ward
05-01-2009, 08:19 PM
1. When I right click on a custom-named tab, it gives me the option to clear the tab, but then when I try to do that it says "cannot clear the active tab." Is this intentional? I'm just wondering why the option is there.

A small frustration on my part too. Maybe the programmers could not display that option on the current tab. But then how do you clear the active tab?

Pretty simple work around, though: left click on another tab to activate, right click on the tab you wanted to clear and select clear, left click to make it the active tab again. Now :)

calvary
05-02-2009, 03:32 AM
A small frustration on my part too. Maybe the programmers could not display that option on the current tab. But then how do you clear the active tab?

Pretty simple work around, though: left click on another tab to activate, right click on the tab you wanted to clear and select clear, left click to make it the active tab again. Now :)

Yeah, I did figure that out. Except that way also clears the tab name; while entering ";" into the search window (See SCSaunders post below) and pressing enter erases the contents w/o removing the tab name.

Next I'd like see the option of being able to clear all the tabs w/o removing tab names. All in good time. The naming feature is a big plus, regardless.

Dave

Gilbert Salinas
05-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Can you send me the swc file that is causing this? Your INI file would be useful too. I am not seeing this.
Mike

Mike,
What I did was use the ';' on the search line to clear the tab.
Then I loaded a saved tab reference that I had saved, and BW8 crashed.

I tried it two or three times, restarting BW8 each time, and BW8 crashed.

I've restarted my computer to clear up any hidden system problems, downloaded the latest .exe, and now, BW8 doesn't crash.

I'm not sure what happened, but I've tried the same sequence, and it no longer crashes. Perhaps the latest fix in another area took care if it.

Thanks for a reply!!!
Gilbert

DavidR
05-04-2009, 12:32 PM
I just want to add my voice to the chorus of praise for the new nameable, savable, clearable, freezable tabs. I just upgraded (after waiting a week or so) to the current v. 009h.1. The way the tabs are now functioning is just terrific. I truly feel that the tabs feature of BW has fully come into its own.

For instance, when I'm preparing a sermon I load a set of tabs that I've saved with the title "sermon.swc." I reserve the first tab for general searching, and use the next 4 for the lectionary texts of the week. Now I can label those tabs for their functions (Search, OT, Psalm, Epistle, Gospel) so as to find them quickly; and I can freeze a lectionary tab if I want to do some searching there and then easily return to its allotted text. My screen and general setup have room for the five labeled tabs plus two more, so I can delete everything past tab 7, but add on new ones if I need to.

Congratulations to the programmers, and thanks to the users here who pressed for these adaptations. Every project I work on will now get its own tabset with labels and all. Marvelous! :) :cool: :D

Andrew
07-10-2009, 11:22 PM
I tried adding the code (BW8BETA) under Options in the updater, but I can't get the update to be able to change the tab names. Any suggestions?

Adelphos
07-11-2009, 10:34 AM
I tried adding the code (BW8BETA) under Options in the updater, but I can't get the update to be able to change the tab names. Any suggestions?

How are you trying to change the tab names? You have to be very specific on how you're trying to do this so we can figure it out.

Andrew
07-12-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm right clicking on a tab but I don't get the two bottom options pertaining to change the tab name.

Adelphos
07-12-2009, 04:47 PM
I'm right clicking on a tab but I don't get the two bottom options pertaining to change the tab name.

Is this the same as yours...

http://www.lamblion.net/image_dump/bwtabs.jpg

Andrew
07-12-2009, 06:00 PM
No, I only have seven options on the menu and none like "Set Tab Title" or Allow Multiline Tabs etc.

Adelphos
07-12-2009, 06:15 PM
No, I only have seven options on the menu and none like "Set Tab Title" or Allow Multiline Tabs etc.

My current BW version is 8.0.011q.2

Is that yours?

Andrew
07-12-2009, 08:49 PM
That was the problem. I had updated the version but I guess my registration hadn't gone through yet (just registered a couple of days ago) because I wasn't being offered the latest BW executable until today.
At any rate, all is well and, like everyone else, this looks like a terrifice feature. Thanks for your help. And thanks again for recommending I upgrade to BW8. You're right. It is a great upgrade.