PDA

View Full Version : Highlighting search results across versions

jthomp
04-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Is there a way to highlight the search results across all display versions in the browse window? For instance, if I search on "adoption" in the KJV I get 5 hits in 5 verses. In my browse window I have several versions displayed but only the "hit" in the KJV is highlighted which is normal. However, what if I want all the hits across all display versions highlighted including the greek and/or Hebrew? Is it possible to configure color coding to produce that result? Thanks in advance for any replies!

James

Greg Ward
04-20-2009, 10:42 PM
In BW8, click on the green squares below the command line, select Choose Search Version. In the dialog, below the version list, but above the cancel button is a drop down for search mode. Choose "Search All Display Versions" or other option you want. Close the dialog--notice the second square is now yellow indicating Cross-Version search mode. (Also in Search menu/Cross Version Search Mode) Perform your search on '.adoption.' You can move the "Cross Version Search Results" dialog to somewhere on your screen and notice how the Search Results window changes as you different select versions. You may also close the dialog and your search is highlighted in all your display versions. A very powerful feature!!

Cross Version Search is described in BW8 Help ch 10 and 24.

The Help file apparently still holds remnants of a previous Search Results method before the Cross-Version Search Results dialog. http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3705 (Hint to BW manual editors: I like what the manual describes. But if it's not going to function that way, can we add this to the manual revision list. Thanks. cc service@bibleworks.com)

jthomp
04-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Greg,

Thanks for your response. It answers the first part of my question but what about when I want to see the Greek or Hebrew word from which it is translated also highlighted?

Perhaps I'm asking this the wrong way. Maybe the real question is how can I search on a selected Greek or Hebrew word in a verse and have its English translation highlighted in each of my display versions. Is that possible?

BTW, your assumption is correct, I'm using BW8. Thanks!

Mark Eddy
04-21-2009, 12:37 AM
Short answer: BibleWorks does not do what you want.
Longer answer: There is no automatic way to recognize which word in a translation is supposed to translate a word in one of the original languages. Some translations try to translate word for word, others phrase for phrase, others thought for thought. In order to get cross-language highlighting you would have to ask the translator to tell you which word or phrase was intended to translate every word in the original language (if they are indeed all translated). Then you would have to have some sort of tagging of the translation and the original language which would show that they should highlight together. And what about the translations which for the Old Testament sometimes translate the Hebrew and sometimes the Septuagint?
The Tov Parallel Hebrew and LXX tool helps you see how the LXX translates the Hebrew. But nothing of the sort has been done for any other translation, at least not for BibleWorks.
You just have to compare translations yourself and guess which words translate which.
Mark Eddy