PDA

View Full Version : Logos vs BibleWorks

Victor Loria
04-12-2009, 02:09 PM
I currently attend Knox Theological Seminary in Florida and my Greek Professor prefers the Bible program 'Logos' over 'Bibleworks'. I have had Bibleworks for some time now, and recently bought Logos as well (required for class). When it comes to Biblical Research with the Greek and Hebrew languages there is no comparison - BibleWorks is FAR superior in its format, functional capabilities and ease of use to the Logos program. Yes, Logos has a greater 'Library' of commentaries, but for exegetical research there is no comparison. Does anyone else see this point? My Professor said that Logos can do everything BibleWorks can do AND MORE....I do not see this....?

Michael Hanel
04-12-2009, 04:54 PM
I currently attend Knox Theological Seminary in Florida and my Greek Professor prefers the Bible program 'Logos' over 'Bibleworks'. I have had Bibleworks for some time now, and recently bought Logos as well (required for class). When it comes to Biblical Research with the Greek and Hebrew languages there is no comparison - BibleWorks is FAR superior in its format, functional capabilities and ease of use to the Logos program. Yes, Logos has a greater 'Library' of commentaries, but for exegetical research there is no comparison. Does anyone else see this point? My Professor said that Logos can do everything BibleWorks can do AND MORE....I do not see this....?

Wait, so are you asking Bibleworks users to tell you how Logos is better? Hopefully not. I have longer answers to the question, but it seems the quickest place to start is that Logos is fashioned around becoming a digital library system while BibleWorks is primarily interested in the Biblical text. Many people use both, and most of them would tell you the same. I own both, but rarely use the resources I bought in Logos. From a different person you're likely to hear a different story.

spitzerpl
04-12-2009, 06:46 PM
I have been using Logos for 2 years and BW for about 2 months. I would agree with your professor, in general everything BW can do Logos can do, but there is a caveat.

Using Logos for exegetical study works, and can work pretty well. However in many cases its like trying to use Microsoft Publisher as a word processor. Generally speaking, if you want a final publisher document to look like a Microsoft Word document you can do it, but it makes far more sense to just use the word processor. I would say that describes somewhat the functional difference I feel.

There is another way of looking at it. BW is like going out and buying Microsoft Word. Logos is like buying Wordpad, and then adding the Microsoft Word features you need one at a time. the end result is a far more expensive option. that is somewhat peicemealed together and not as integrated.

that being said I still Love Logos. There are some things Logos does the BW cannot do, nor does it ever attempt to do. But if the keep the functions within the realm of working with the original text BW wins for both value and function.

SCSaunders
04-13-2009, 02:22 PM
IMO, the only way Wolverine's adamantium claws could slice through Superman's Kryptonian skin is if Tom Welling is exposed to some of that green meteor rock. Ergo, I feel compelled to say, that while Sammy Hagar has a good voice, my favorite incarnation of Van Halen is with Dave helming the VOCs. FWIW.

Dan Phillips
04-13-2009, 07:46 PM
I even asked the Logos gurus, and they were very candid, God bless them: Logos has nothing like BW's robust, amazing, fast verse-by-verse notes.

That is my single stand-out most beloved feature of BW.

spitzerpl
04-13-2009, 08:36 PM
I even asked the Logos gurus, and they were very candid, God bless them: Logos has nothing like BW's robust, amazing, fast verse-by-verse notes.

That is very true. Logos' Notes feature is very sub-par for the level of the program. It is a huge complaint on the Logos newsgroups.

SCSaunders
04-14-2009, 07:28 AM
Wait, so are you asking Bibleworks users to tell you how Logos is better? Michael, your answer is excellent. However, isn't ALWAYS interesting how these kind of questions are asked by VERY FIRST TIME posters? Co-inkydink? I submit to you it is not.

"Victor", which is better Logos or BW? My answer: my dad is stronger than everyone elses.

brethicks
04-14-2009, 08:47 AM
As others have said, the two programs have a different philosophy. Logos is trying to build an entire electronic library, while BW is almost entirely for direct original language research. I used Logos up through System 10 a few years back. It did most everything I wanted, but the problem was its speed. Simply put, things BibleWorks could do in under a second, Logos could take up to a minute or more to do. This became apparent in a class where my prof was doing searches in BW, and when I would do the same one in Logos, he would move on to the next point before Logos would finish the check. (and the problem was not my machine, which was at least as fast as my profs, if not faster). I do not know if they have fixed this problem, but it was a real drawback in my experience. I use the software for Bible study - not reading a kinds of books on the computer (which I do not want to do). Thus, BibleWorks superior speed and flexibility at that function is what prompted my switch.

spitzerpl
04-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Simply put, things BibleWorks could do in under a second, Logos could take up to a minute or more to do... I do not know if they have fixed this problem, but it was a real drawback in my experience.

Nope. Libronix is still extremely slow on searching. However 4.0 is expected in 1-2 years and the president of Logos is saying it will be as fast as doing a Google search.

SCSaunders
04-15-2009, 07:16 AM
http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/teacher1.jpg