PDA

View Full Version : Word count stats

Karen Spray
04-02-2009, 05:37 PM
I am sure I have in the past generated a word-count of all the words in the old and new Testaments - ie, how many occurrences of each word in that version. I generated a list that I could then look down and pick out the 'big words' which might indicate themes.

I thought I did it by running the search <.*> (search term within the brackets). However this doesn't work. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Karen

Adelphos
04-02-2009, 05:46 PM
II thought I did it by running the search <.*> (search term within the brackets). However this doesn't work. Can anyone help?

I think the easiest way to do what you want is to open the WLM (Word List Manager) and then generate a word list for whichever version you want. This will give you the total number of words plus the total number of each unique word for the version you have selected. It will also give you the frequency for each word, which you can manipulate in various ways.

Glenn Weaver
04-03-2009, 08:50 AM
Searching on .* does work, but only in BW8. But Scott is correct--the best way to find what you want is to use the Word List Manager.

The Version Info tab also lists statistics about the version, including the number of books, number of chapters, number of verses, total number of words, number of unique words, the current verse in the version displayed in the Browse Window, and the abbreviations of the books that appear in that version.

The new Words and Context tabs give similar information that can be very useful for finding the most-frequently occurring words in the version, search results, pericope, book, or chapter.

There are lots of new BW8 tools to investigate!

MBushell
04-03-2009, 12:47 PM
You can fool BW7 into doing the search by entering *?. But the word list manager and the new Word Stats tabs in BW8 will better help you find out what the major themes are in a section fo scripture.
Mike