PDA

View Full Version : Searching across BGx and APx

Michael Hanel
07-21-2004, 11:13 AM
Perhaps I didn't try hard enough, but is there a shortcut way to search for a string both in the BGT/BGM and in the other Greek databases like the Josephus text or the Apostolic Fathers? Say I want to find every instance of the word meta,noia not just in the LXX/NT but also in one of those other databases, how do i do that?

Mike Hanel
MA Classics Student Washington University
MDiv Student Concordia Seminary

frankenfro
07-22-2004, 11:46 AM
while i'm not sure about a shortcut that's quick, easy and includes all the Gk databases, you could do the search in each database and export your results to a verse list. The verse list will combine all the versions so you can easily browse through your results. So for instance, you could search for metanoia* in the BGT, export your results to the VLM, then do the same for JOS and APF and have your list.

Joe Fleener
07-23-2004, 08:00 AM
Perhaps I didn't try hard enough, but is there a shortcut way to search for a string both in the BGT/BGM and in the other Greek databases like the Josephus text or the Apostolic Fathers? Say I want to find every instance of the word meta,noia not just in the LXX/NT but also in one of those other databases, how do i do that?

It was my understanding that the same Morphology coding was used for BGM, JOM, APM & BNM. Therfore one would expect that if you chose to "Search and display all same language versions" you would be able to do what you are looking for. (You set this option by right clicking on the command line - cross version search mode.)

However, when you do this it only seems to seach biblical databases (i.e. BGM, BGT, BNM, BNT, BYM, GNM, SCM, etc.).

This is interesting since not all the Greek biblical database use the same morphology codes (i.e. BNM vs. GNM).

The bottom line is 'no' there is no easy way to do this, although I think it would be an invaluable feature!

Michael Hanel
07-23-2004, 11:00 AM
Agreed :)

Mike

Mark Eddy
07-23-2004, 04:48 PM
There is no morphology database for the Apostolic Fathers in BW yet. One such database (APM) was begun (but is far from omplete) and is available as a user database file. But don't expect the entire Apostolic Fathers to be in BW until well after the Josephus morphology database is corrected, unless someone wants to volunteer to do that project. Currently there is no way to "search on lemma" in the Apostolic Fathers in BW. So even if morphological searches could include biblical and non-biblical books at the same time (which I also wish could be done), at present the Apostolic Fathers could not be included in such a search. We need patience, or to make the verse lists as was previously suggested to this thread

In Christ,
Mark Eddy

Michael Hanel
07-23-2004, 05:45 PM
There is no morphology database for the Apostolic Fathers in BW yet. One such database (APM) was begun (but is far from omplete) and is available as a user database file. But don't expect the entire Apostolic Fathers to be in BW until well after the Josephus morphology database is corrected, unless someone wants to volunteer to do that project. Currently there is no way to "search on lemma" in the Apostolic Fathers in BW. So even if morphological searches could include biblical and non-biblical books at the same time (which I also wish could be done), at present the Apostolic Fathers could not be included in such a search. We need patience, or to make the verse lists as was previously suggested to this thread

In Christ,
Mark Eddy
Sorry I wasn't paying attention enough for that. Is there anyone who is heading up such efforts currently. I'd certainly offer to help out doing some Greek parsing to help fill the gap, but I don't have the time or enegy to coordinate such attempts. In other words, if there is a group working on this, drop me a line and I'll help out.

Mike

Joe Fleener
07-24-2004, 03:04 PM
There is no morphology database for the Apostolic Fathers in BW yet. One such database (APM) was begun (but is far from omplete) and is available as a user database file.
Very true. I have the APM that I got from: http://www.skrbc.org/bw%5Ffiles/
(Also, see Jim's thread @ http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=85&postcount=1)

I kinds of forgot where it came from until you mentioned this here. :)

So even if morphological searches could include biblical and non-biblical books at the same time (which I also wish could be done), at present the Apostolic Fathers could not be included in such a search.
Even though it is true that one could not search the Apostolic Fathers currently, it is still "strange" that JOM is not seached when you choose the option to search all versions of the same language. Maybe someone from BW could jump in on this one.

Text from Help file:

"Search and Display All Same Language Versions
If this option is selected all installed versions will be searched and displayed if they have the same language as the current search version. "

We need patience, or to make the verse lists as was previously suggested to this thread
No problem with patience. Each and every upgrade, enhancement, "fix" has ALWAYS been worth the wait!