PDA

View Full Version : Goofy Mac Issues

matthewmoore
03-18-2009, 12:09 PM
I have a couple quirks while running BW7 in Parallels, and I wonder if any other Mac users had this problem

1. When searching in the BGM my @ becomes a ] no matter how I've tried to work around it.
2. My shift+drag function doesn't work when moving from the view box to the edit box. I've been pushing ctl in the mean time.
3. My flashcard module doesn't remember progress, or filters I had on there previously

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ben Spackman
03-19-2009, 06:09 AM
I have run BW7 and 8 under Parallels (Win XP SP3) on my Macbook C2D 1.83, Leopard.

I didn't use the flashcards enough to notice, but I definitely didn't have the other two issues. Can't help more than that, I guess.

Good luck

matthewmoore
03-19-2009, 10:52 AM
What font do you use?
Do you use a full copy of XP?

Ben Spackman
03-19-2009, 11:02 AM
I just use the default English (Arial? Times New Roman? One of those) and BW Greek and Hebrew fonts.

I'm using a full OEM edition of XP.

justin.jett
03-19-2009, 09:26 PM
I just use the default English (Arial? Times New Roman? One of those) and BW Greek and Hebrew fonts.

An OEM version of Windows usually includes additional drivers that can disrupt the functionality of the computer [unless installed on the original computer, i.e. Dell, HP]. If you can you should try to use a retail copy of XP or Vista.

justin.jett
03-19-2009, 09:45 PM

Also, note that your computer might be having difficulties because it does not completely meet the system requirements. Since you are running BibleWorks under Parallels, it will only be able to run properly with what you have set for the system settings. I would recommend using at least 512 MB of RAM, if you can, for Windows XP under Parallels.

Here is why:
Windows XP requires 64 MB of RAM just to run the OS [not including any other program or drivers etc.],(truly anything less than 128 MB with SP3 will cause unbelievable lagging.)
BibleWorks 7 requires 64 MB
Since these are the minimum requirements,[just enough to start the program] more is really needed for peak performance.
This does not include your Apple OS operating system if you have OS X 10.5.x you will need at least 512 MB of RAM just to run the base operating system. (it would be helpful to know what verison of MAC OS X you have.

To answer the following question, "When searching in the BGM my @ becomes a ] no matter how I've tried to work around it.",

I would say that you likely have disrupted the keyboard layout under windows. You may need to reset your windows keyboard layout under control panel.

To answer the following:
"My flashcard module doesn't remember progress, or filters I had on there previously"

I would say that your Windows environment is not receiving enough system memory to process the progress and therefore, trashes it!. Try adjusting Parallels to utilize at least 512 MB for Windows. This should work. If not you may need to obtain a retail copy, somewhere, Vista seems to be the new OS and XP is no longer available from Microsoft.

Hoping you are well,
Justin Jett
Student

matthewmoore
03-20-2009, 12:09 PM
I just realized what I did wrong with the @/[ situation. I was searching in my BGT. HA. HA. HA.

I'm running 512mb but I have parallels running variable because sometimes I run Steam video games.

Thanks for your help!

jnaweberg
03-20-2009, 09:55 PM
I, too, am having some issues with my Shift key not freezing the word in the Analysis Window (using Parallels 4.0). Not sure if an unknown setting in the new Parallels is hindering it or what. I didn't have this problem with version 7 and Parallels 3.

matthewmoore
03-20-2009, 11:02 PM
What I do is hit ctrl button so it moves to the 'file' part of the menu, freezing the windows.

vr8ce
03-22-2009, 12:55 AM
I, too, am having some issues with my Shift key not freezing the word in the Analysis Window (using Parallels 4.0). Not sure if an unknown setting in the new Parallels is hindering it or what. I didn't have this problem with version 7 and Parallels 3.

I had this same problem with Parallels, along with several other non-BW keyboard issues. I switched to VMWare and haven't had a problem.