PDA

View Full Version : Hebrew OT and NT Database

BigJayOneill
03-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Without getting into the debate about the "original" language of the NT writers, ;) I have a question.

Does anyone else think it would be a good idea to have a Hebrew language OT/ NT database, in a manner that follows the LXX/NT Greek database, within BibleWorks. I would like to combine the Salkinson-Ginsburg Hebrew New Testament with the Leningrad Codex.

If not, can someone tell me how I could combine the two versions (as one "new" version) for easier searching between the 2 Texts? (This effort does, at times, does reveal some helpful findings!)

Adelphos
03-17-2009, 11:19 PM
Does anyone else think it would be a good idea to have a Hebrew language OT/ NT database, in a manner that follows the LXX/NT Greek database, within BibleWorks. I would like to combine the Salkinson-Ginsburg Hebrew New Testament with the Leningrad Codex.

Just export the HNT and the WTT databases into a text file, combine the two, then recompile the combo into another name.

BigJayOneill
03-17-2009, 11:44 PM
Just export the HNT and the WTT databases into a text file, combine the two, then recompile the combo into another name.

This takes a lot of formatting effort. The chapter and verse numbers, within the Hebrew OT, are on the wrong side (the right) when trying to reformat the text into BW.

Is it possible to export the Hebrew OT into a text file/word with the chapter and verse numbers on the left side?

spitzerpl
03-18-2009, 12:34 AM
Someone may have an easier way to accomplish this task. However if nothing else comes up I believe this can be accomplished by opening word, doing a global Find & Replace, opening it with excel and using formulas or the Text-to-Column feature. If you find it is your only option and need some help let me know.

David Kummerow
03-18-2009, 12:46 AM
What if you were to export in CCAT?

Regards,
David.

Adelphos
03-18-2009, 12:38 PM
If you export the WTT in CCAT the verse references are on the left. Same with HNT. All you have to do is combine them and then recompile. You might have to remove a couple of formatting lines at the top, but either way, the formatting work should be minimal. I actually think I've made a Hebrew OT/NT before using this very method, but if I did, it was long ago and I don't have it now.

EDIT: I have assumed that you are an old hand at this due to your work in the Massorah, but just in case, you do of course have to do a global replace on the HNT/WTT within the CCAT file and give them a new designation, such as HBB, or something like that.

Adelphos
03-18-2009, 02:32 PM
I just compiled a Hebrew Bible test version. I did not attach the WTM morphology to it, or make any other enhancements; rather, I merely compiled a bare-bones test version from Gen 1 and Mat 1 to make sure it could be done. Here are the steps I took --

1. Export HNT and WTT in CCAT format.

2. Create a TXT file wherein you have combined both of these versions, i.e., place the WTT first in the file, then place the HNT text right under it.

3. Save as HEB.TXT

4. Open the Database Version Compiler, create the DDF and set your options.

Make sure the Hebrew language is selected and set your other options, then compile.

Works like a charm.

Adelphos
03-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Okay, I bit the bullet and did a bare-bones compilation for you. This combines the WTT and the HNT into one version designated as HEB. You can download it here --

http://www.lamblion.net/Links/links.htm

I'm only going to leave this up there for a day or two, so get it while it's hot.

BigJayOneill
03-18-2009, 02:55 PM
I can't get the WTT to export in the correct format. Is this option found in BW 8? (The option won't check mark within the Text Export options.)

Would you do me a favor? Could you Email me a WTT/ DLZ - Delitzsch text file. (I mistakenly said the HNT above :rolleyes:) All I want is simple text.

My Email is KAKURSE@MSN.COM

If this is to much trouble, please let me know. I should be able to figure this out!

Thanks!

JP

BigJayOneill
03-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Adelphos,

Thanks for your work.

I just noticed your last post; I have already downloaded the text.

Thank you so much; I can work with the HNT.

Thanks!

:)

Adelphos
03-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Would you do me a favor? Could you Email me a WTT/ DLZ - Delitzsch text file.

On the way.

I knew my BW7 was better than your BW8! :cool:

BigJayOneill
03-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Thanks again!

BTW- I like your website!

David Kummerow
03-18-2009, 09:07 PM
BTW- I like your website!
I hope you just mean layout/style! There's a lot of very sad stuff there, eg http://www.lamblion.net/EBooks/bw_complicit.pdf

Regards,
David.

Adelphos
03-18-2009, 09:26 PM
I hope you just mean layout/style! There's a lot of very sad stuff there, eg http://www.lamblion.net/EBooks/bw_complicit.pdf

Regards,
David.

That article was written and posted on a misunderstanding quite a lone time ago and I thought had been removed. It has now been removed.

Obviously, my continued support of BW is apparent, and your other asssertion that there is "a lot of sad stuff there" is what makes the difference between you and me an eternally FATAL one.

David Kummerow
03-18-2009, 09:45 PM
Obviously, my continued support of BW is apparent
I have yet to see anywhere where you admit to being wrong, say sorry, and withdraw the sad assertions you made:

That Mike Bushell, the owner of Bible Works, was a coward, and unregenerate, and an idolater, I already knew, as his capitulation to Rome, and his coziness with liberal Biblical scholarship, had been a long time in full bloom.

Regards,
David.

Adelphos
03-18-2009, 10:14 PM
I have yet to see anywhere where you admit to being wrong, say sorry, and withdraw the sad assertions you made

Is it your place to interpose yourself in the affairs of myself and another individual? Are you privy to the emails that have transpired between myself and Mike, or anyone else for that matter?

Whatever personal mental issue you have with me is best discussed via email, not in this forum, so if your continuing issues with me are so insatiable that you can't let them go, visit my website for my email address and I'll be happy to discuss them with you privately.

David Kummerow
03-18-2009, 10:20 PM
Is it your place to interpose yourself in the affairs of myself and another individual?
Only in that since your rant was publically made it would so deserve a public appology.

Regards,
David.

Adelphos
03-18-2009, 10:27 PM
Only in that since your rant was publically made it would so deserve a public appology.

That which prompted my article was also public, and apologies cut both ways. The reason you haven't seen a public apology on either side is because the issue has been resolved privately. I hope that settles it for you.

BigJayOneill
03-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Mr. Kummerow,

I did not see anything critical of BibleWorks or Mr Bushell on the website. I would not have known about it if you had not brought it up. (Which I am not sure if it is a good or bad thing?)

I obviously LOVE both BibleWorks and the efforts of Mr Bushell.

Nevertheless, I appreciate "Adelphos" for his assistance with my questions and his passion and commitment for the Faith. (This passion/ commitment is evident on his website, which is the source of my compliment.)

Now go study!!!:D

Glenn Weaver
03-19-2009, 08:55 AM
Hi David and Scott,

Please stop this discussion about Scott's website content. Those issues are long past. If you wish to discuss these things, please do so privately.

And 'thank you' to both of you. Your assistance on this forum is very helpful.

Blessings,
Glenn

Adelphos
03-19-2009, 05:52 PM
I can't get the WTT to export in the correct format. Is this option found in BW 8?

Good question for BW8 users... is the VDC different in versions 8? If so, please tell me how.

Glenn Weaver
03-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Hi Scott,

The VDC functions in the same way as it did before. There have been some enhancements, such as that the VDC now recognizes (and will compile) every language for which there is a Windows code page. If I remember correctly, I think a bug or two in the VDC is fixed in BW8.

I just exported the WTT for Gen 1 in CCAT format using BW8, changed the name of the file to wtttest.txt, then recompiled the file as a new Hebrew version. It worked fine.

I use the VDC regularly to compile Bible versions for the program.

Glenn

Adelphos
03-20-2009, 10:08 AM
Hi Scott,

The VDC functions in the same way as it did before.

Much obliged. When my Uncle Sam sends me some money, which he's supposed to do in the near future, I'll be upgrading.