PDA

View Full Version : Synchronize BW between computers?

mikeandlesliegaul
03-17-2009, 01:42 AM
My question regards synchronizing notes and highlights I have made within BibleWorks between two computers.

If I study using BibleWorks on my home computer but take my laptop to teaching events, is there an easy way to carry the chapter and verse notes, and, the word highlights/coloring I have done, from the home computer to the laptop?

Thanks,
Mike

folofjc
03-17-2009, 02:40 AM
I am sure that there are more knowledgeable people on here about this than me.....

If you know where the highlighting and stuff is stored (hopefully not at the program level) then you can use some sort of sync software to keep your files up to date across multiple computers. I do this between several of my computers for "My Documents" and other things. I have used Windows Live Sync for about 5 years (since before it was bought out by Microsoft). Works great.

Ben Spackman
03-17-2009, 05:07 AM
I use Dropbox for syncing my notes. Works great. Free for 2 Gig. There's a nice demo video.

It's quite stable, but not yet feature complete. I think it's a great system. I sync between a PC, Mac, and Windows-on-Mac with no problems.

http:www.getdropbox.com

ccozier
03-17-2009, 06:29 AM
I'll second the Dropbox solution. I work between three computers and Dropbox works well for me. Simply put a shortcut to your notes directory in the Dropbbox directory and the files get synced. You can also move the notes directory if the location of Bibleworks is different on any of your computers. My notes are held with my other data so I can make sure they get backed up. The *.clr files (the color files) are in the databased subdirectory under the Bibleworks8 directory. Again a shortcut will allow you to sync the contents. Dropbox is great!

tcblack
03-19-2009, 11:17 AM
Dropbox is good, but I use sync.live It's quite good, and I'm syncing my BW notes between three systems without a single hiccup.

Ken Neighoff
04-27-2009, 09:37 PM
So far I have enjoyed using dropbox, if I sync individual files, they sync with no problem. But if I set up a short cut from BW8 notes, that file will not sync, between my desktop and laptop. Any suggestions?

Ben Spackman
04-27-2009, 10:32 PM
I actually moved my Bibleworks notes folder directly into my Dropbox folder. You can change the notes directory in BW, and I find that easier than dealing with shortcuts, live links, and other things. Dropbox is now working on selective syncing, i.e. pick any file/folder anywhere, but wanted to have the underpinnings totally solid first.

SCSaunders
04-28-2009, 07:38 AM
I actually moved my Bibleworks notes folder directly into my Dropbox folder. You can change the notes directory in BW, and I find that easier than dealing with shortcuts, live links, and other things. Dropbox is now working on selective syncing, i.e. pick any file/folder anywhere, but wanted to have the underpinnings totally solid first.I have got to give Dropbox a shot. Thanks for the tip and the link!