PDA

View Full Version : Before I Upgrade...

Adelphos
03-16-2009, 10:48 PM
I am probably going to upgrade soon, but the fact is, I'm perfectly happy with BW7. I really don't need version 8, but to keep the support and the chain going, it's inevitable that I will upgrade. Before I do, however, I want to make sure I don't lose any necessary functionality, as I have a lot of work invested in BW7, and the fact is, BW7 is a remarkable program in and of itself.

So then, please tell me what you like better about version 7 compared with version 8, if anything.

Michael Hanel
03-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Single greatest? Probably the addition of more materials in it. The Pseudepigrapha and Hebrew Grammars alone would be worth the price of upgrade when compared to other programs. If these don't send a chill down your spine, you'll probably be more impressed with the Phrase and Verse Matching Tools. Enhanced power of x-refs I'll call a close third. That's at least my list today, tomorrow it might change.

SCSaunders
03-17-2009, 11:20 AM
Single greatest? Probably the addition of more materials in it. The Pseudepigrapha and Hebrew Grammars alone would be worth the price of upgrade when compared to other programs. If these don't send a chill down your spine, you'll probably be more impressed with the Phrase and Verse Matching Tools. Enhanced power of x-refs I'll call a close third. That's at least my list today, tomorrow it might change.At this point Scott, I would give a hearty echo to all this.

For me the "...tomorrow it might change" would come from features that I'm discovering when using it for teaching. I'm running BW8 through a projector and using a screen mark-up tool that MGVH recommended. My class happens to be getting older and therefore this promotes a guided discussion a whole lot better than just the power points I've been using.

So, I may add some "in the classroom" features "tomorrow." But, to be fair, these features may all be present in BW7.

Just my 2 cents.

MGVH
03-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Content additions:
As Michael noted, the Greek OT Pseudepigrapha along with the new Evans translation is great.
I would also highlight the inclusion of Wallace's Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics as significant. Moulton-Milligan's Vocab of the GNT is an added plus.
Though only in English, having the complete Ante-Nicene, Nicene, and Post-Nicene Church Fathers is very handy.
I'm also glad to have the TNIV included now.
There's more, but those are the most significant for me so far.

Program improvements:
I've done some things with the Related Words/Verses/Phrases Tools, but I'll have to play more with them.
I do find that I am regularly using some of the new tabs in the Analysis window, especially the Browse and the variety of XRefs.
ERMIE (external resources manager) will become more useful as I use it more.

One nice thing as you move from BW7 to BW8 is that there is really no new learning curve. The program will work as you expect. (The only issue is the popup copy center. I think it will be extremely helpful once I get the settings all figured out...)

Adelphos
03-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Thanks for all the insights, but what I'm really curious about is what you like in BW7 better than in BW8. IOW, is there something in the previous version of BW that you like better than in version 8?

Although I'm not talking about the three-paned view with the CL on the left, because that is already my preference in BW7, so that aspect of the upgrade suits me fine.

Other than that, what I'm driving at is what do you like better in version 7 than in the upgrade to version 8, if anything?

Michael Hanel
03-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Other than that, what I'm driving at is what do you like better in version 7 than in the upgrade to version 8, if anything?

Well that's easy then. Nothing. I don't think anything got worse in BW8 or a feature that I used got dropped. I think the only thing dropped in BW8 is the Robertson's Word Pictures and I never used it anyway, so it didn't bother me. As Mark said, the biggest concern people have had so far seems to be with the way the copy window popup works. But I have seen all of my problems with it fixed.

MortenJensen
03-17-2009, 05:05 PM
I'm running BW8 through a projector and using a screen mark-up tool that MGVH recommended. .

Hi, which mark-up tool is that?

Could you provide a link? Thanks
Morten

SCSaunders
03-18-2009, 08:02 AM
Hi, which mark-up tool is that?

Could you provide a link? Thanks
MortenZoom It (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897434.aspx)12345678

SCSaunders
03-18-2009, 08:07 AM
Other than that, what I'm driving at is what do you like better in version 7 than in the upgrade to version 8, if anything?Familiarity.

Learning curves are always a bit of a time suck at first. But in the end, for the most part, they are totally worth it.

Familiarity in version 8 is coming very quickly. And to be fair, the learning curve was small and intuitive.

calvary
03-18-2009, 12:46 PM
The only thing better about version 7 that I've experienced is better functionality with certain features of the pop up copy window--it's not as flexible in some ways. But a lot of the new stuff has kept me distracted from that. :)

I too was content with version 7, but as others mentioned above, now that I've tasted the new I won't be going back.

Dave