PDA

View Full Version : Editor crash

Gontroppo
07-18-2004, 11:32 PM
My friend is having regular crashes in the editor. He has BW6 and keeps updated with the latest patches.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I hope to be able to give a more detailed description of the problem presently.

Having sold him on BibleWorks, I want to help him to keep the program running smoothly!

David McKay

Gontroppo
07-19-2004, 08:00 AM
My friend's comments on his crashes:
Re the Bibleworks, I've really only started using the editor in any serious way in the last month. Since then I've had trouble with it crashing occasionally mid-sentence, so I saved regularly. But since installing the latest update I found I could not save a document then reopen it. Reopening it caused BW to crash. This was with BWW files and RTF files.
Israel at BW advised me to delete my ini file and restart. I've had some improvement in reopening newly created files. But the program still crashes regularly as I type into the editor. Its very frustrating. I'd be glad of any help. I fear a file somewhere might be corrupted and I might have to reinstall the whole thing, which I don't look forward to. But I'm waiting to hear from Israel again

Has anyone else had this probelm? How did you fix it, please?

David McKay

sdtester
07-19-2004, 09:21 AM
I've had the same problem, but hope is on the way.

In the "Official Bibleworks Announcements" Forum there has been a post by Bibleworks concerning the Editor. The news is that they are working on a new editor that, hopefully, will be released shortly. Look for the Post "Bibleworks Editor"

Charlie
07-21-2004, 01:30 PM
The new editor isn't going to address your problem here, necessarily. There is something else going on here causing the crash. I would recommend following the crash troubleshooting steps outlined here:

http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135

Gontroppo
07-24-2004, 04:07 AM
Thanks for assistance on my friend's behalf about the editor crashing.

He followed the advice you gave here and after clean booting [?] it is working without crashing so far.

However modules purchased after he originally bought BW6 are not available.

David McKay

Joe Fleener
07-24-2004, 10:49 AM
However modules purchased after he originally bought BW6 are not available.

David McKay
Normally when you reinstall BW it sees the regestry keys for previously installed modules, however sometimes it does not. This is not always a BW issues, but sometimes a Windows issue.

However, if you friend still has his unlock keys (which should always be kept in a very safe place for times like this) he can unlock them again.

Dogsbody
07-26-2004, 07:46 AM
Gontroppo's thread was on my behalf - I'm the one with the problem. Thanks for the contributions.
A small correction - while I tried the clean boot it seemed to have no effect. The support team recommended I put my disk in the drive and choose the repair option. That seems to have done the trick, and I haven't had any more problems with the editor so far.
However, doing a 'repair' has left my program seeing itself as 'not registered', and that is causing some other difficulties which I'm now seeking to resolve.

David

Gontroppo
07-26-2004, 08:08 AM
G'day David
Hmm
Gonna have to behave myself now.

Did you know we have been trying to drum up interest in a BibleWorks training workshop in Sydney [though I think Bathurst would be better!]

David McKay