PDA

View Full Version : ChangeTranslation Acronymns?

ScriptureZealot
03-14-2009, 06:33 PM
I'd like to change NRS to NRSV when copying text in the browse window. So that:

2 Timothy 2:26 NRS

Would be
2 Timothy 2:26 NRSV

and that NAU would be NASB.

Is there a way to do this as can be done with book names?

I searched here and couldn't find anything and could find anything in the init folder related to this. I use BW8.

Thanks.

Mark Eddy
03-15-2009, 11:14 PM
No, this cannot be done using book names, since you are talking about version names, not book names.
I know of no way to change the export. But after you have exported all the verses you wish to export, you could use your word processor to "Replace" all NRS with NRSV and replace all NAU with NASB. That's the best I can think of.
Mark Eddy

Greg Ward
03-15-2009, 11:28 PM
To allow for expansion, didn't BW provide for longer names? But was that book names or version ID? :confused:

Michael Hanel
03-15-2009, 11:48 PM
To allow for expansion, didn't BW provide for longer names? But was that book names or version ID? :confused:

Version names can be longer, book names still must be 3 characters long. In theory, you could export NRS and re-compile it as a new version called NRSV. However, I don't know if this is worth the trouble, I would personally prefer Mark's option of just doing a replace-all, unless you think that you would be saving more time and energy re-compiling.

ScriptureZealot
03-15-2009, 11:58 PM
I was referring to version/translation acronyms. It would be nice if there was a custom export version name as there is with custom export book name that's in books.bna.

Dale A. Brueggemann
03-16-2009, 11:34 AM
It would be nice if there was a custom export version name as there is with custom export book name that's in books.bna.

I agree; indeed, it wouldn't even need to be a custom export version name, just the standard abbreviations instead of BW's three-character command-line tag. I suppose the custom export version could give you the option of the standard abbreviation (e.g., KJV, NASB, NKJV, NJPS, etc.) or the full name for export (e.g., King James Version, etc.). Indeed, the default ought to be to export the standard abbreviation (e.g, NRSV instead of NRS, which always reminds me of the "National Rifle 'Sociation" anyway ;o)