PDA

View Full Version : Cross-version search mode BW8

Greg Ward
03-12-2009, 09:57 PM
I don't use the cross-version search mode very often. But in the Search All Display Versions mode I'm not seing the following:

Search All Display Versions
If this option is active the search will be conducted across all display versions of the same language as the search version. The Search Window verse list box will contain a list of all verses where a match was found. The results are mapped to the current search version. Stats apply only to the search as performed in the current search version. If you see a verse ref with a single asterisk by it and no number, this is a verse for which no hit was found in the current search version, but there was a hit in one of the other display versions. Hits will be highlighted in all display versions.

For me, the Search List only contains the results in the current search version, i.e, no verses with no hits in this version but were hits in the other versions. :confused: Of course I could keep the "Cross Version Search Results" dialog open and change from version to version, but I'd like one integrated verse list. If I correctly understand the Help file, that's what BW should do for me?

For example, Search Limits off, Search All Display Versions on, display KJV NKJ, search version KJV, .firstborn*
Shouldn't Gen 4:4 (found in NKJ) show up in the KJV search results list with an * beside the reference and no hit highlighted?

Thanks for your input.

Mark Eddy
03-13-2009, 12:16 AM
It appears that what you underlined in "Help" is a holdover from the way cross-version searches worked in BW6. The cross version searching was beefed up considerably in BW7 (continued in BW8) by producing the "Cross Version Search Results" window. But that does appear to have replaced the asterisks. Now instead of giving a list of verses, but not telling you which version has the word in question, the BW Cross Version Search Results window shows each of the versions which contains the word in question, plus the number of times in each. You could use the Verse List Manager to load the list for KJV in one column and NKJ in the other, and see at a glance which version was missing the word in any given verse.
Mark Eddy

Greg Ward
03-15-2009, 11:49 PM
Since this feature has been superceded by the Cross-Version Search Results summary:
The Search Window verse list box will contain a list of all verses where a match was found. The results are mapped to the current search version. Stats apply only to the search as performed in the current search version. If you see a verse ref with a single asterisk by it and no number, this is a verse for which no hit was found in the current search version, but there was a hit in one of the other display versions. Hits will be highlighted in all display versions.

My question, from the Cross-Version Search Results dialog, is there any way to create one inclusive list of verses from the results? i.e. send all verses to Search Results list or send all verses to the VLM?
For example, my congregation uses a number of translations, so in a word study I need to make sure I cover them all. So I display KJV, NKJ, NAU, NIV, ESV and perform a Search All Same Language Display on .firstborn*. In the Cross Version Search Results window, I notice that there are more hits and verses in the NKJ. But does this cover all the verses that are in the other translations?
To make an all inclusive list, I had to send each version to the Search Results list, import it to the VLM, then compare it to the next versions VLM imported list. I had to do this one translation at a time. Is there an easier way?

Once I get the English verses, the work begins to study the original language words and ideas (and all their uses) behind them. Since BW doesn't have semantic categories for the OT, I use the English words to find the various Hebrew words. And then study the Hebrew words.