PDA

View Full Version : non-book specific citation searches

Clericeric
03-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Can anyone help me learn how to do non-book specific citation searches? I'm trying to find what to type in the command line if I am looking for every instance of chapter 3, verse 33.

I have tried these:
*3:33
[book]* 3:33
[book*] 3:33
book* 3:33

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Eric

Mark Eddy
03-11-2009, 10:35 PM
You can use wildcards in searches only for words and lemmas, not for book names. So what you want to do is not possible on the command line. When you search for a verse you get only that verse (or string of congiuous verses, if you search for e.g. Joh 3:15-18).
You may wish to use the Verse List Manager to produce the list which you are seeking. Read the Help section on VLM to learn how best to do this.
Mark Eddy

Glenn Weaver
03-12-2009, 09:06 AM
Hi Eric,

If you are wanting to conduct searches on all the Chapter 3, verse 33 items, you could first create a custom search limit, then limit your search to your custom search limit. (Creating custom search limits is discussed in Chapter 50 of the BW8 Help file.) But first you would have to know what books contain 3:33.

If your goal is to find all the books that contain 3:33, then you could either:
1) go through each book of the your preferred version, entering the book name plus 3:33 on the Command Line. If the book does not contain the reference, then it will show an error, or
2) Select on the main BW8 menu "Tools | Importing/exporting information | Export Database." Save the file as a text file. Open the text file, and search for " 3:33 " (with a space on both sides of the reference). This will locate all of the books that contain chapter 3 verse 33.

Hope this helps.