PDA

View Full Version : New Reader's Lexicon of the Greek NT

ingosorke
03-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Nice resource that heavily utilized Bibleworks (and Mike Bushell!) for its production:

Burer and Miller, A New Reader's Lexicon of the Greek New Testament (Kregel, 2008).

Back Cover: "Improving on earlier lexical works, A New Reader's Lexicon of the Greek New Testament incorporates all words that occur fewer than fifty times in the New Testament. In canonical order, it catalogs a word's frequency in each book, in each author's writings, and in the entire New Testament. References to rare or noteworthy word usages are included, allowing the reader to quickly identify words of special significance."

Cheers, Ingo
(I wonder if Cheers comes from Gr. Chaire!)

SCSaunders
03-11-2009, 08:35 AM
Looks like I'm going to throw away one of my "fluff" books in order to make room for this. Thanks for the tip, I will definitely check it out. Any tool that helps me READ the actual text itself is a tool that I'm all for. That fact that BW & Mike Bushell helped; rich, thick, sugary-buttery-diabetic-shock-inducing icing on the cake.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ordered!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51yFR-s%2BtKL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/New-Readers-Lexicon-Greek-Testament/dp/0825420091/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236780147&sr=8-1%3Cbr%20/%3E%0A%5Burl=http://www.amazon.com/New-Readers-Lexicon-Greek-Testament/dp/0825420091/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236780147&sr=8-1)
*Click me - I won't bite.

SCSaunders
03-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Just got this today and the book is a pleasure to read; and by this I mean, among other things, for all us with geriatric eyeballs, we won't be needin' our readin' goggles.

I've only had this a short while and all seems fantastic; but I feel a bit deflated in only one and albeit minor aspect. It's a peripheral issue and thus one I can live with. I've been praying for a lexicon that would have the stones to translate sku,balon with a four letter word. Like I said. Minor detail. No one is going to demand their money back for "refuse" or "garbage."

I just wanted to have some fun pointing out a dirty word to all my neighborhood friends who have not had Koine Greek at seminary. "See, there are times when the apostles went blue with their language."

Sorry Sakae. I no go with Kubo no mo'.

Ben Spackman
03-15-2009, 09:24 AM
I've occasionally handed out some Bible Review articles on coarse language in the Bible to students. (The Anchor Bible Dictionary also has a lengthy entry on euphemism and dysphemism as well.)

Turns out, though, that skubalon is not as harsh as some think. I came across a chapter-length treatment of it in a book I flipped through at SBL, in which the author concludes that a 4-letter word probably over-reaches.

Can't remember the title, though.

Dale A. Brueggemann
03-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Yeah, what a load of rubbish!

SCSaunders
03-15-2009, 08:09 PM
Yeah, what a load of rubbish!Knew this was coming. Right on cue there Dale.:rolleyes: Trust me, I ain't gonna stop. So expect me to give you many, many, many, many more opportunities.

SCSaunders
03-15-2009, 08:32 PM
I've occasionally handed out some Bible Review articles on coarse language in the Bible to students. (The Anchor Bible Dictionary also has a lengthy entry on euphemism and dysphemism as well.)

Turns out, though, that skubalon is not as harsh as some think. I came across a chapter-length treatment of it in a book I flipped through at SBL, in which the author concludes that a 4-letter word probably over-reaches.

Can't remember the title, though.Carbs are good. Carbs are bad. Fat is good. Fat is bad. Vitamins provide benefit. No they don't. Doctor types. You can find one to support any preconceived point of view.

Doctors - "experts" who after all have had the Piled Higher and Deeper (Ph.D.) symbiotic letters of supposed point of view cachet attached to their names.

I'll quote a few of them found in the writtings that come with BW. ...

[GING]
sku,balon, ou, to, refuse, rubbish, dirt, dung Phil 3:8.* [pg 183]" I wonder what a four letter word for "dung" is? What! Dung is a four letter word. Hmmmmmm.

Frieberg
sku,balon, ou, to, anything that is to be treated as worthless and thrown out, translated according to the context dung, rubbish, garbage, offscourings" Go with my comment above.

UBS 5528
sku,balon , ou n dung, garbage

BDAG 6725
• sku,balon, ou, to, useless or undesirable material that is subject to disposal, refuse, garbage (in var. senses, ‘excrement, manure, garbage, kitchen scraps’: Plut. et al.; PSI 184, 7; PRyl 149, 22; PFay 119, 7; Sir 27:4; Philo, Sacr. Abel. 109; 139; Jos., Bell. 5, 571; SibOr 7, 58.—ta. sku,bala specif. of human excrement: Artem. 1, 67 p. 61, 23; 2, 14 p. 108, 21; Jos., Bell. 5, 571 [cp. Epict., Fgm. Stob. 19 avposkubali,zw].—MDibelius, Hdb. on Phil 3:8) pa,nta h`gei/sqai sku,bala consider everything garbage/crud Phil 3:8 (cp. AcPl Ha 2, 23; Spicq. s.v. ``to convey the crudity of the Greek … : ‘It’s all crap’.").—DELG. TW.

Liddell Scott 38917
sku,balon dung, filth, refuse, Anth. (Deriv. uncertain.)

Thayer's
sku,balon, skubalou, to, (kusibalon ti, o;n, to, toi/j kusi, ballo,menon, Suidas (p. 3347 c.; to the same effect Etymologicum Magnum, p. 719, 53 cf. 125, 44; others connect it with skw/r (cf. scoria, Latin stercus), others with a root meaning `to shiver', `shred'; Fick, Part i., p. 244)), any refuse, as the excrement of animals, offscouring, rubbish, dregs, etc.: (A. V. dung) i. e. worthless and detestable, Phil. 3:8. (Sir. 27:4; Philo; Josephus, b. j. 5, 13, 7; Plutarch; Strabo; often in the Anthol.) (See on the word, Lightfoot on Philippians, the passage cited; Gataker, Advers. Miscell. Posth., c. xliii, p. 868ff.)*

MM (Our newest "free" lexicon BTW) 3891 [pg 579]
sku,balon.
“Dung,” the prevailing sense of this word, may be explained by a popular association with skw/r, with which it is impossible to connect it historically. That it was a vulgar coinage from evj ku,naj balei/n is likely enough (like skoraki,zw from evj ko,rakaj): its original meaning thus would be “refuse” (RV marg.); but “dung” is probably what Paul meant in Phil 3(8), the only occurrence of the word in the NT. This meaning is well illustrated by P Fay 119(7 )(c. A.D. 100) where Gemellus informs his son that the donkey-driver has bought mikra.n du,smhn kai. co,rton sapro.n kai. w[lon (l. o[lon) lelume,non w`j sku,balon, “a little bundle and rotten hay, the whole of it decayed—no better than dung” (Edd.).
The word is found in the more general sense of “leavings,” “gleanings,” in P Ryl II. 149(22 )(A.D. 39–40) katene,mhsan avfV ou- ei=con lacanosp$e,rmou% skuba,lou, “grazed them on the gleanings of my vegetable-seed crop” (Edd.), and PSI III. 184(7 )(A.D. 292) evn skuba,loij co,rtou.
Sku,baloj appears as a proper name in P Oxy I. 43 Verso(iii. 25 )(A.D. 295) d$ia.% Skuba,lou bafe,wj: cf. also CPR I. 175(16 )(time of Commodus).
To the exx. of the word in late writers given by Wetstein add Vett. Val. p. 3(11 )skuba,lwn evkkri,sewj, and for the thought of Phil 3(8) note Plautus Truc. ii. 7. 5 Amator qui bona sua pro stercore habet, cited by Kennedy EGT ad l.

All these men had the stones to translate the word correctly. Or, they are wrong per your experts. Either way, I'll go with them and not the ladies.

Dale, that last one was for you. Time to chime in sweetie.

Dale A. Brueggemann
03-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Just joking, although I take it you didn't read my comment that way. On the other hand, I doubt if the force of dung, manure, feces is as scatological as you seem to wish.

SCSaunders
03-15-2009, 09:14 PM
... I doubt ... Thank you for your:) honesty. That was my whole point.

Dale, let's be like those Zebedee brothers in the New Testament let's make some thunder.

Dale A. Brueggemann
03-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Oh, I prefer not to leave a "son of thunder" legacy; I rather think that is an attitude to be rebuked than emulated

SCSaunders
03-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Oh, I prefer not to leave a "son of thunder" legacy;Too late brother.

I rather think that is an attitude to be rebuked than emulatedDidn't stick did it? That's okay, Christ is patient. He'll keep helping you remove that log.

SCSaunders
04-24-2009, 10:00 AM
A New Reader's Lexicon of the Greek New Testament (http://www.amazon.com/review/R2V1IZ27RQOJF8/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm)